Author Topic: So do you sew? .......9  (Read 14654 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: So do you sew? .......9
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
Absolutely beautiful Sarah... I just cannot get over the fact that you did that whole quilt in about 24 hours. 

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
Wow, that's really nice.  I'm with Triss it is amazing that you can do one that fast.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
I almost didn't get this finished.  That quilt was giving me some issues!  On Saturday I had the hexagons all pieced together and thought that I'd have it assembled and quilted in no time.  But I had to make a custom template to go around the edges to make it a rectangle, which took far too long.  I got those sewn in and realized that my quilt was very tiny - only 26x29, so I thought I'd put on a border.  I'd been thinking of doing a rainbow border all along - but couldn't decide if I wanted to use squares, keys, or triangles.  I drew up some pics and decided on the keys and a smaller 2 inch border between the hex's and the keys.  I figured up all the math for it and finally went to bed around 2am.  I was so tired but kept having nightmares so I got up and showered and went back to bed around 4:30.  I was up at 7:50 to make sour cream coffee cake and get the quilt started up again.  I kid you not, I almost threw that sewing machine down the stairs.  It was making me so angry.  It needed oiled but there was no way I was going to oil it with the quilt underneath, so it would freeze up on me or squeak horribly.  I layered the batting, top and back wrong --- and sewed it -- 3 separate times costing me nearly 2 hours.  I was so infuriated with myself for that.  3 times!  I finished it at 1:20pm and needed to be at the shower by 2:00.  I got there at 2:30 and let the mother know that it needs washed first so the batting will get all soft and cuddly.  She loved it! 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
Sewing is a gift from God that I was not given.  I think a person can learn to sew a little but you have to have that talent to do what you do.  My oldest sister is like you Sarah.  She can make stuff after making her own pattern.  It amazes me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
My daughter has the talent.  Me if I can do it by hand fine.  If it requires a machine not so much.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
in my day we had to take home economics.  I got a C when we had the sewing semester.  The cooking I was ok with but I could not sew.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »
I remember those days.  I found out that pinking shears are not for left handers.  At least not if they aren't left handed pinking shears.  I didn't do that good with cooking either. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:26:08 PM »
Neither of my girls took home ec and neither of them have a interest in sewing.  Neither has a needle or thread in their houses.  If it tears they throw it away or use it for a rag.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »
I taught my girls to sew. They didn't offer sewing in school for them, just food service cooking and such. Jonni wanted a sewing machine for her birthday a year or so ago. She gets very frustrated with it though. She is good at design. Well sort of, She doesn't design things I'd get caught dead in but she likes it. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »
Shelley designed one of her pagent dresses and prom dresses but had someone sew it.

How did you learn Tina?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »
I never had classes.  Dad came home with a machine for me one day and I have picked it up along the way.  I am quite sure I use my machine wrong but I sure enjoy what I do.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
I did take home ec. But I had already been using my mother's machine before home ec. Sewing in school did help with some of the patterns, terminology, etc. though.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
i don't remember home ec other than hating it.  granny taught me to sew on her machine.  way before home ec. i taught both my girls.  they can, and like it once in a while, but it isn't a hobby for them.  is off and on for me.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Jessica

« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
In home ec we learned to sew, cook, balance a check book and who knows what else.  I liked home ec.  I never really using the sewing skills that I learned after that though.  I am still learning a lot about sewing.  I am scared to use patterns.  I am just not comfortable with it. I did buy a couple yesterday and plan to try them.  I just never know where to start but I guess once I start I will figure it out.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
Patterns are not so bad, at least the simple ones that I have done.  I actually made Lys a dress, shorts, and pants.  She liked them. 

Jessica

« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »
I actually have never used one, Triss, so I can't say that they are bad. I guess I am just intimidated by them.  I was the same way with knitting patterns at first but now I don't think twice about it.  I guess I just need to tackle one and see how it goes.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »
I was too but it was sure fun doing it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:09:07 PM »
patterns have directions in them
They tell you where to start.
A tip though: I find having more fabric than called for very necessary. It really is hard to cut them out exactly like they show you. So tight onto that yard and a half. Buy two yards or whatever. Use simple fabric patterns unless you want the headache of matching plaids or something.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
And if they use a term or something you don't understand, you can always ask. Or these days everything is on the net.

Jessica

« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Do you use the thin paper that they have them printed on or do you copy that onto something more durable to use as your pattern?  They seem so flimsy and I feel like I am going to rip them.  I bought pretty simple patterns.  I am going to try the ones that Triss e-mailed me too.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:01:40 PM »
It depends on if I am planning on using them again. If I want to reuse, I take cheap light colored plastic table covers. I buy them on a roll for like picnics and things but they are available in sheets in party departments. They are thin enough to see through and copy the pattern (with a sharpie) without cutting the pattern. Most patterns come in multiple sizes and If I'm starting with the smaller size I may not want to cut the next size up away especially with growing kids. Then when I am finished using it that plastic folds up quite nicely into a baggie with the real pattern and directions, etc. I just got finished sorting all of my patterns.  
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 11:06:47 PM by Tina »

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #47 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
That thin paper is actually tougher than it looks too. But if it does tear there is always tape.

Jessica

« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »
I might use your idea with the disposable tablecloth material.  That is a good idea. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
It worked for me. Especially when sewing for growing kids
The patterns you bought, Are they for you, Jess?
Boys can be a little tricky to sew for.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal