Author Topic: So do you sew? .......9  (Read 14661 times)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: So do you sew? .......9
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
I got the fabric to make this jacket for Ted and I never have yet. Some day, I will get in the sewing mood again. http://www.sewingconnection.com/sc12hart.htm
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Jessica

« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:15:38 PM »
I bought one that has 4 different bag patterns and one that has a bunch of different apron patterns.  They are not clothes or anything.  I would never try to sew for Tristen.  He would laugh at me. :giggle:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
Yes, he would.
But I will tell you I had fun sewing for Teddy when he was in preschool. I made him a few fanciful shirts. One had a small stand up collar so I made it in a plain beige (safari colored) fabric but the collar was in a snakeskin fabric that I continued on down the front for a snake head on one side and tail on the other (flat against the shirt). It was very cute.
But he won't wear anything with any patterns or prints on it now so that is out.  No buttons, snaps, etc. Just a zippered jacket or something once in a while.

Jessica

« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »
Tristen is opposite.  He has to have something on his shirt.  If I put out a plain shirt for him, he will put it back and get something else.  Everything has to have a picture or pattern on it.  I have learned and don't buy plain colored unless he needs something specific for some reason.

When Tristen was younger, I could have gotten by with making him things but he wouldn't be caught dead in anything I made now.  I did make him a bag though.  the fabric has skulls decorated as pirates on it and I used a cord for the drawstring.  He carried his basketball stuff in it last week.  It is boyish.  He kept asking me to make him one when I was making the others so when I was at JoAnn's I found something suitable.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:28:28 PM »
Yes, Like I said, even sweet Teddy has specific things he will wear. It is one area where he can rule his life (within reason). So he is t-shirts (no pockets preferably) and sweats over.

Jessica

« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:29:54 PM »
It makes our lives easier if we just do what they want.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
It is part of them growing and learning to make their own decisions (within reason). That is always good even if some of it makes us cringe. Jonni wore rags sometimes that had me in a permanent cringe.

Jessica

« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
Yes, we have gone through that with James' daughter.  We let her unless we were going to a family function or something similar.  She has grown out of that, thank goodness.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »
I think all kids grow out of it but faster if we let them indulge to a point.  I would not dream of making clothes for any of the boys but that jacket sure is cute Tina.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:58:39 PM »
It is a cute jacket. I loved the simplicity of it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
Maybe if they were allowed to pick out the fabric they would be more interested in home made clothing?

Jessica

« Reply #61 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
To be honest, I don't have the desire to make homemade clothing for him.  I am just liking making fun stuff.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:59:56 AM »
And that is enough, Jess. Fun stuff is good and will keep your interest without frustrating you.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
That is a cute jacket Tina.

Jessica

« Reply #64 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
I got the fabric to make this jacket for Ted and I never have yet. Some day, I will get in the sewing mood again. http://www.sewingconnection.com/sc12hart.htm

Somehow I completely missed this post last night.  I was wondering what jacket everyone was talking about. :giggle:  This is cute!!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
The fleece comes in such nice boy-friendly patterns. (deer hunters paradise or John Deere tractor stuff, etc) And the jacket is very basic and simple. Or as fancied up as you would like. Washable and you don't have to hem any of it unless you want to. Simple.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:17:08 PM »
I have to brag lol.  I used the needle threader on my machine for the first time today and it worked.  Small victory, but all victories count in my book.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »
I got another ouch pouch cut out.  I hope to get it put together today.  While I wait to see how much snow we get. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »
I found out something new to me.  You all probably already know but I thought I would mention it just incase.

The healing cutting boards can be resmoothed using a kitchen sponge with the rough side.  I don't know what it's called but it has like a plastic side that I use to scrape food off with.  And that's the side that will smooth the surface of the healing cutting board that I use with my rotary cutter.  I thought that was cool information so I thought I would share.  Those things cost and arm and a leg so anything that prolongs their lives is a-ok with me.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #69 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:03:49 AM »
I nver knew that Duh, thanks!

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
Your welcome.  I love being able to give back even if it is just a smidgen.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
tammy, you give back a lot.  and i didn't know that either.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:00:11 AM »
Thanks Jen you are a lovely woman.  I enjoy your posts and I'm glad you are here.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »
I tried my satin stitch on my machine last night.  It's not really a satin stitch because there is still a small space between the stitches.  And I haven't a clue how to get a smooth curve out of it.  Or a corner either for that matter.  Can anyone help me out on this?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2010, 11:42:52 AM »
tammy, the curves and corners just take practice.  as for the satin part of it, what i usually do is go back over it again.  that fills in the "spaces" that you are talking about.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal