Author Topic: How do you feel about the donations going to Haiti?  (Read 5680 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
How do you feel about the donations going to Haiti?
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
I'm not donating to the relief effort in Haiti.  From what I understand the country isn't pro american and I think there are other places I can put my dollars to do good here at home.  Am I way off base?  Please delete this if you think it is to controversial.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: How do you feel about the donations going to Haiti?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
The Haitians need help whether they are pro-American or not, Tammy. The ones that are trying to survive won't really care where the help is coming from and the children are too young to be involved in politics.

In the background, I have the telethon running on the television. It breaks my heart to see the devastation that they have suffered and I am praying that they get all the help they need to rebuild their lives...

There but for the grace of God, go I...
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 08:33:21 PM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
A lot of countries aren't pro US.  Wonder why that is.  We lived in France when I was small and my mother says there were signs everywhere saying Yankees Go Home.  We're so nice to everyone and they don't like us.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
They had the same signs up in Okanawa when I lived there, Yankee go home.

Are our homeless less needy?  Are the children here that need foster homes less deserving of help? 

It would be bests if every child had a good home, enough to eat, medical attention and everything else that they need.  But they don't.  Ethiopia has been in famine for a long time with children dying every day.  Is there plight less horrendous because it has been going on a long time? 

I just wonder why people feel so strongly for the Haitians rather than those in their own country or countries that are pro-american.  How are we less worthy of help?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
I don't care for the way the Red Cross handles their funds so I will not give my money to them. Or to anyone who passes it along their way.
I agree with Dianne that politics don't matter here. Help does. You help a neighbor no matter what his politics, religion or whatever. You help humans in need. Then someday you may need a helping hand  too. You will not slap away the hand because of politics, race, ethnicity. And Haiti may just feel differently when they recover enough to see who is still there to help rebuild.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:46:42 PM »
I don't deal with the Red Cross either Tina.

Johnny's church used to support Haiti big time.  His grandfather and father spent a lot of time there building churches, schools and orphanges.  There are Christian people there Tammy who like the US.  Several years ago after Johnny's dad died, his uncle who is now the preacher decided to stop sending money over there and keep it in the community.  So now all our missions money stays in Charlotte and surrounding areas.  We have a food closet for anyone who needs it, without questions asked.  A person can come every week if they want too and no one asks a question.  We also have money to help with power bills and the like.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »
Haiti has been in the way of really bad storms many times.  And the US has come in and helped.  If that didn't change their minds I doubt this time will be any different.

I didn't say there were not christians there, I just asked why their tragedy seemed to be getting more attention and donations.  I think what your church is doing is great.  Our church has help for people within the community also.  And they spent over 10 million dollars helping the victims of Katrina. 

I guess I'm not able to express my questions adequately.  Thank you for your input.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
tammy, i think i understand what you are saying.  that you'd rather see the money spent locally.  meaning within the US.  that why give handouts to a bunch of ingrates.  and on a generic term, i agree with you.

on a more basic level though, i think, anytime there is a natural disaster, that is of that magnitude, it is human decency to help in some way, even if it is just prayers and pennies, where you can.  but for the grace of God go i.  for me it could be a hurricane or flood, and i've been in both.  no fun...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
You didn't say they aren't Christian, I was just throwing that out there.

I think I see your point.  Why spend so much money and give so much attention to this catastrophe when there are other catastrophes that can use the same resources.?  I'm don't know.  I often wonder about certain diseases.  It seems some are high profile when it comes to research money and others, that are just as deadly, are not.  Wonder who does make these decisions.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:36:04 PM »
i should add, i do not give money to the red cross.  nor do i give in kind donations (what they call food/water/supplies) because i do know they are often re-routed to other places than where they were intended.  and no matter how good the thought is, i'd rather not.  generally i won't give money to anyone other than LCIF (Lions Clubs International Foundation) because i know that 100% of public moneys given for any particular disaster goes to THAT disaster, and salaries are paid out of other monies.  no salaries are paid out of public donations.  ever.  and, if i say i want my $10 split between haiti, virginia, and georgia, that is how it is split.  then, when georgia or virginia needs money, they get what was earmarked for them.  it is held in trust until then.

there are other agencies i give to also, including catholic charities (specialty drives, not general), salvation army (general and specialty), lutheran ministries, and the navy relief which is a specialty organization to assist navy and marine corps members and their families in times of emergencies.  i've been the beneficiary of navy relief a couple of times, and know they do good.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
sheri, you are right about the different diseases and the puzzles on that.  i think it is a matter of who yells the loudest, or which kills the most people.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »
Tammy, you've given us food for thought.  I like hearing other peoples ideas.

Jessica

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
I understand where you are coming from, Tammy, but I did donate.  I would help my neighbor even if they didn't like me and we didn't get along but they had a fire or some other natural disaster and they lost their home and belongings.  For me, it is the right thing to do.  But that may not be the case for everybody and that is their choice.  With that said, I also donate to many local causes.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
Our country has and I hope always will be there to lend a helping hand.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
I do think we should help Americans first though.  Sometimes we forget their are people hungry in our own part of the world.  Do you guys know who Melanie Griffith is?  She's an actress.  Several years ago I saw a documentary about how she had started a charity to help hungry people in the US.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
I agree, that while everyone likes to help their own Country first, when somthing like this happens, giving on any level is the right thing to do.
We did donate here, a couple different ways.

I do think though that our own Countries need to take a look at some of our own people, who may not have suffered somthing catastrophic as the ones in Haiti, but who have lost eveything, and have nothing, they need a helping hand too.

Good topic Tammy.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
While I agree with helping other in a chrisis, I also think we definately need to be helping at home more. And it should be a priority. A lot of folks in our country are in bad shape. The homeless shelters are overflowing and not just with singles.. with families and children. Aside from the shelters, there are elderly and children going with proper nutrition and medication for lack of funds. This economy has put a lot of people in a bad way, people that never thought they'd be in such a position. Alas, I don't have a solution, so I do what I can on a local level, which isn't much.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Sunflower

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
I don't mind giving donations...most places only ask for a $1 or $2 at a time. I just hope that it really goes to where it's supposed to.

Offline Skhilled

• Retro Gamer!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
I think the problem why other countries are not pro US is the way we have treated them over the years. We'll help countries who do not really need it but refuse to help those that really do, regardless if they like us or not. If a country is poor and has nothing for us to gain we generally do not help them. But we will help countries where something can be gained.

Most people go by what a country's government says although the majority voice of its citizens may be different. Our government is pro war and for the war in Iraq when many people here are just the opposite. Yet, we are all held to whatever beliefs that a government states.

When you give love, it is returned. Same goes for hatred...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal