Author Topic: Opinions Please  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Patty S

Opinions Please
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:31 AM »
When Shelly was here, she gave me a hanging pot of Black Eyed Susans (Thunbergia alata) for Mother's Day.  As you may (or may not) know, these can be used as hanging plants, or they'll climb if they're given something to climb on.

So here's what I'd like some feedback on:

I have Passion Flower vines coming up one side of my arbor...

and Honeysuckle on the other side.

If I add the Black Eyed Susans at the base of my arbor, will the roots be too crowded & compete for nutrients/water/space? When they all grow up & cover the arbor, will there be so many flowers that it looks more junky than pretty?

Or... should I put them in box planters (or leave them in the bowl, to avoid shocking them) on top of the arbor, so they can hang down & meet the Honeysuckle & Passion Flowers in the middle?

What would YOU do?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 02:53:28 AM by Patty S »

plants n pots

Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
Pretty plant, Patty - I've always liked then, ever since one of my college roommates grew them in her room - way back in the dark ages!

My experience with them here did not produce plants that were too lengthy or strong, so my personal suggestion would be to leave them planted as is, and hang it as you have mentioned.  It just has not been a very vigorous grower for me...

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: Opinions Please
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:43:38 PM »
I'm with Lynne on this one too, i would leave it as is...very pretty though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal