Author Topic: Pop Quiz -- What's wrong with this pic? [solved]  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Patty S

Pop Quiz -- What's wrong with this pic? [solved]
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
A month or so ago I transplanted some white Siberian Iris, & was hoping they'd make flowers for me this year.

Can anybody tell what's wrong with this pic?

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2007, 03:56:50 PM by Jim »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Pop Quiz -- What's wrong with this pic?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »
Do they all have different watering needs and they are planted so close together that that is impossible to do?
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
Siberian Iris like water (I got them from the edge of a creek) & Hydrangeas need lots of water.  The spot has lots of good drainage, so I water there every day, & the rose seems to be happy with it.

They are pretty close together, but the Irises aren't planted deep enough to interfere with the roots of the Hydrangea or the Rose. All other the greenery you can see around those plants are Violets (& Liatris in the lower left corner).  The Violets grow wild & are sort of a pest in some of my gardens, but I let them go in that bed cuz they help to keep the ground moist.

Keep looking!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »
Is it bigger than a bread box? lol

Is it the wrong flower on the stem?

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Patty S

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »
What size of a bread box?

No, the flowers on those stems are the same ones that grew on them... & the leaves are the correct foliage for those flowers, too.

Keep looking.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »
I give up.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »
Looks like daffodils to me.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 11:50:47 PM »
Looks like white w/yellow Siberian iris to me.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Patty S

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:03:39 AM »
Yes, they are indeed White Siberian Iris.  (Bonnie, the question was "what's wrong with the pic?"... not the ID of the flowers!)

I'm giving Patti (Patches) & a few others the chance to come & take a look. If nobody can figure it out, I'll reveal the answer.

There's a clue in the first post, that only gardeners would probably catch.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 12:06:18 AM by Patty S »

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »
No darn wonder, I ain't no gardner. I'm a ghost hunter.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
(Bonnie, the question was "what's wrong with the pic?"... not the ID of the flowers!)

Oh I got the question. Please let me explain. I said that it looked like daffodils because in my previous post I asked
Is it the wrong flower on the stem?
I guess I should have made myself clear. What I should have said was "Oh, I thought it was the wrong flower on the stem because it looked like daffodils to me."

Bonnie
This is me ->?

Offline patches

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2007, 02:25:14 AM »
Patty, not a clue here!!!  :dunno: After wrapping up the first week of summer classes I'm pretty brain-dead right now!  I didn't get home until almost 11:00 tonight, and I've been working on getting my grade finished and ready for next week, so I can play outside this week-end.  :Glee: 
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2007, 08:04:59 AM »
My very first guess was the the blooms were at the wrong position on the stalks. Yes, I solved it when I first spotted it, but removed my answer to let everyone else have fun... ;)

If that isn't a big, humongous clue, I will solve this when I come back in from mowing today... ;D
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Patty S

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2007, 09:10:42 PM »

My very first guess was the the blooms were at the wrong position on the stalks.

I think she said that the flowers didn't look to be tall enough & she was right.  The flowers are the right ones for the foliage, but they weren't from those particular plants. 

In the opening post, I said that I'd transplanted them about a month earlier... while I have moved Iris along with the surrounding soil, so it didn't know it had been moved (& it bloomed), I would have needed an awfully large shovel to move this many in a single clump! I was hoping that they hadn't been too disturbed by the move & would blossom for me anyway, but that didn't happen. If I'd have moved them last fall (as I kept saying I would), or even in early April, they might have flowered for me.

My daughter brought me the flowers from the plants next to where these came from, & I just stuck them in among the leaves to show my neighbor what we'd have to look forward to next year, & decided to take the pic. Thanx for retracting your guess so we could have a little fun in this thread, Dianna. :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal