Author Topic: Tulips in the snow  (Read 2398 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Tulips in the snow
« on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:22:56 PM »
I have tulip buds forming on my plants and it's started to snow again.  Should I cut the bottoms off of some of my milk cartons and put them over the plantings.  I so don't want to loose any of my tulips.

Jessica

Re: Tulips in the snow
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »
Oh boy.  Wish I could answer that for you, Tammy, but I have no idea.  I hope you don't lose them.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
I found this online and the person answering is some expert in PA.

Tulips are very hardy and can withstand severe freezing. Snow will usually not bother tulip buds but open flowers may be damaged slightly (the petals fall) although rain is worse to do that than snow (snow usually just fall off the petals).

Offline Sunflower

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
My tulips have survived snow before...no coverage.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Thanks all I was worried.  I so want to see them this year before the moles get to them.

Offline Sunflower

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
I solved the mole problem...

I dug up my bulbs and made a cylinder role from fine metal mesh(like you use in winter storm doors)...so it's like sticking your tulip in a long toilet paper roll... planted them back this way with the top of the roll at the edge of the ground...and never lost another tulip.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
I found wire mesh waste baskets in a dollar store. I planted tulips in those, I think 5 in each and buried those. It helped tremendously with the gophers here. Other creatures can still go up and into the pot to dig but they didn't bother them for a few years.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
Smart ideas to keep the moles away... :good2:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
very smart.  I'm going to have to see where I can get some fine mesh.  The moles never learned to come up the bottom of the role?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
It is good if the barrier is a certain depth for moles. It needs to be deeper for gophers. And gophers can come up and over the lip outside. I keep them a few inches above ground. That helps. Then there are rabbits and squirrels and deer. I plant narcissus around everything. That helps tremendously. It is a deterrent to everything.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal