Author Topic: Winter Losses  (Read 4317 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Winter Losses
« on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:41:08 AM »
I was looking to see if some bulbs had started to push up in some of my pots.  No bulbs yet but one of the pots has split in half from the freezing temperatures.  I didn't even think about that when I put them outside to get chilled.  I also lost one of my plant stakes.  I think it can be fixed though, with the right glue.  The ceramic plaque fell out of it's painted metal frame.  Any suggestions on the best adhesive to use on that?

Has anyone else noticed any losses?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Winter Losses
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
I have a ceramic flower pot that's been outside for 4 or 5 years.  Darbi gave it to me.  I've noticed that the design has fallen off.  I don't think it can be fixed.  I'll mention to Darbi that I want a new pot for mothers day or my birthday and she'll harrass Shelley until I get it.  I love that girl.

Wonder if super glue will work for your stake.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
Well two of the mums didn't make it.  They may have just died of old age.  They were really big plants.  I probably should have divided them last year.  Sometimes I get in such a hurry to plant things I don't think about dividing them or spacing them out. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
are you saying that because they are dried up and look dead?  Mine do that.  I cut them back and they usually show up again.  My pansys aren't coming back though.  Too much cold.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
The other mums have already developed leaves for the year.  these were brown and brittle and broke when I brushed pass them cleaning up the bed.  I consider them dead at that point.  It's ok.  I have two that survived that I'm going to divide and they will go in the places where the others were.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
I wanted to mention that the broken plant stake got brought in cleaned and glued back together.  It's sitting on the breakfast knook surrounded by plastic wrap and held together with clothes pins.  I've got my fingers crossed that it holds.  I really like it.  It's one of two that has the little gnomes on it. 

Jessica

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
I hope it holds for you, Tammy!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:19:03 AM »
It did! yeah!  I've got my garden stake back.  I'm thinking that I'm going to get some small tubing and use that to extend the height of my stakes.  I use them on the blackberry lilies and those are several feet taller than the stakes once they are securely in the ground. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »
Good idea.  You know one of my gnomes had his legs amputated by someone or something a few years ago.  Now all I can see above the rim of the flower pot is his little head.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
Awww, poor baby.  Can you take him to the gnome hospital?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Well on the lost column are all six of the dusty millers.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2010, 01:04:51 PM »
I guess moles like Lily of the Valley.  Not a one has made an appearance. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
Well on the lost column are all six of the dusty millers.

mine are looking pretty pitiful.  I'm going to check and see if I can cut them back and save them.  I saw some at Lowe's though for not too much money.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
Even the little things add up quickly around here.  A trip to the dollar store usually ends up costing me 20 bucks.  So I've just got to stay out of the stores for April.  Not that I wouldn't love to fill my flower beds with all kinds of goodies.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
that's right.  No shopping for you until after April.  You're like me.  I love getting 20 things for $20.00 at the dollar store.  Makes me feel like I'm getting my monies worth.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2010, 09:34:39 AM »
Yes Mommie lol.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I checked out the dusty miller.  Pitiful.  I may have to replant.  I'm going to look at it again today and see if there's any growth at the bottom.  There's a little at the top but the bottom looks horrible.  I don't want it looking like that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
I don't know enough about the dusty millers to know exactly how they will grow.  I hope it fluffs out for you.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
The lilies of the valley have sprouted in one spot.  And they multiplied nicely over the winter.  I expected them to bloom earlier in the year.  I don't know why.  But I'm glad they are up.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »
i lost my banana trees.  not sure what else.  glad your lilies of the valley seem to have made it.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks jenn I am too.  I'm sorry to hear about your banana trees.  How big were they?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
they were small.  my uncle gave them to me when i was at home in september.  i'll get more, i'm not sweating it.  besides, they weren't really where i wanted them.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal