Author Topic: Name that Plant!  (Read 4582 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Name that Plant!
« on: Apr 10, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »
I've got two of them.  The first one is a lovely leafy green thingy.  I'm sure it's a common plant.  I just dunno what it is.  There is some growing in a full sun location but are much smaller than the ones in the pic, so I'm guessing they prefer shady areas. 

Mystery #2:

This is INVASIVE!  Grows by runner root thingys that just annoy me to death.  They had a small red berry on them this fall/winter.  Seem to grow to about 3 feet tall with thin stems and small leaves.

If you could help me out here, I'd appreciate it!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: Name that Plant!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
Your vine-y thing looks like honeysuckle. I really hate that stuff.
The leafy thing, I'm not sure about. Could be some kind of hosta? If it were a little darker green I would say it looks like my cast iron plant.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
It just may be a honeysuckle, thanks Tina!!  And I googled cast iron plant, it does look a lot alike except mine seems floppier.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
I don't think a cast iron plant could take your cold too well, Sarah. They really only live outside here because they are partly protected by the shaded areas I have them in.   The places they stretch out into the sun they burn and freeze and die.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
I was thinking hosta as well but the leaves do not seem quite right.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
cast iron plant aka aspidistra.  they are  more hardy than they get credit for.  mine is in a pot, and survived our snow just fine.  and 10 straight freezing, below 30 nights.  so if it is against anything that would retain any heat, like a wall, it would be ok.  and, when they are in colder areas, or get large, they do get floppy.  i love mine, it tolerates just about anything i throw at it.  and they do not care for full sun, but will tolerate it in most areas, but not where tina is.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
and the viney thing looks a lot like my carolina jessamine but i'm not so sure on it.  honeysuckle it might be too.  haven't seen honeysuckle in many, many years to know what it was.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
honeysuckle was my first thought before I read that Tina had said it.

The other sort of looks like hosta but there's something wrong with the way the leave fold.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
I hope someone comes along with an answer cuz it's driving me nuts.  Sort of looks like corn.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010, 08:10:53 PM by bestofour »

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
The leaves don't look big enough to be carolina jessamine - the leaves on my plant are very small, like an inch or shorter.  Does the CJ get red berries on it during the fall?

Both of the leafy plants are up against the south side of the house.  Like I mentioned, one gets full sun and the other only a few hours of dappled sun each day.  The dappled-sun guy is about 2 or 3 times bigger than the full sun guy and a lot floppier.  The smaller fella is pretty rigid.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
no, the cj does not.  but my leaves on my cj are smallish.  not more than an inch.  probably honeysuckle.

the cast iron plant's leaves are very rigid when small, reminds me of a canna just opening almost in the rigidity, but when larger, very floppy. and almost soft.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
I am thinking spathiphyllum (peace lily). Does the area get any full sun or is it mostly shaded? :unsure: Do the leaves perk up when you water it?

I know that it is used as a house plant, but I have seen them on the outside, too, in the shade.... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 02:35:49 PM »
I checked it out and the leaves just aren't right for a peace lily, Dianna.  Thanks, though!

The first plant, the possible cast iron, has bulbs instead of a root ball.  It's a starchy bulb too, not like an onion but kinda like a potato.  Does that help??

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »
the one that reminds me of a cast iron plant.... my cast iron plant has thick, almost potato-y roots.  very tuberous, and when healthy, it will break through a plastic pot trying to expand.  there are other varieties of aspidistra though, besides cast iron plant.  maybe yours is a cousin if not the real deal.  very good plants to have.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal