Author Topic: Can it be done to a trailer?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Can it be done to a trailer?
« on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
I don't have medicine cabinets.  I have mirrors that are glued to the wall.  They are a real pain to take down.  They usually come down in pieces.  I would love to have medicine cabinets but I'm concerned.

From what I've read about trailers 1995 and earlier is that everything that is here is needed to support the roof.  According to my research if I want to take down the wallboard for any reason I would have to take it down one piece at a time since it helps support the roof.

Now to make a nice sized medicine cabinet I would need to cut a hole in the wall and probably cut a couple of studs and then put in a box built of 2 x 4's to frame the cabinet. I'm figuring from there I could use 1 x 6's to create the cabinet and shelves and then the self adusting hinges and put on a door with a mirror Is it possible or do I have to mount the cabinet on the wall and sacrafic the depth of the cabinet.   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Can it be done to a trailer?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »
Johnny says he's never seen one cut into a trailer wall.  They're usually mounted on the outside of the wall.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2010, 08:40:06 AM »
Yes, my trailer walls are about 2 inches thick and barely support an electrical box hidden in them. My medicine cabinet is a wall mounted box. And it is roomier than one in the wall with shelf space above.   I  am satisfied with it.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 09:42:43 AM »
Ok, thank you for your input.  I was thinking I might be headed for trouble.

I think in the masterbedroom bath I'll just put floor to ceiling 1x4 shelves on the partition wall between the door and the toliet.  It has a 4 inch clearance for depth, is 15 inches long for length of shelves.  That gives me lots of space for all the things that are currently cluttering up the counter space.  Then the alcove on the otherside I can put in shelves over the toliet for bathroom linens.  That bathroom is so poorly designed it's incredible.  But it would cost more than the entire trailer to remodel it so I'm sticking with what I have.  The one thing I love about it is the garden tub. 

Offline Jayrod1972

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
They also have those cabinets that stand above the toilet.... that's what I am going use for towels/ medicine cabinet. cost a little more but it also spruces the magic thrown.
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me”

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
I bought something like that once from amway.  It was alittle to deep so that it caused a bit of a problem.  I finally got rid of it when it wouldn't fit in the space I had at the last place. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal