Author Topic: Warning  (Read 1903 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Warning
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »
I might just be having one of those days but.....

This is the second Organic Valley product I've bought and been very unhappy. 

First I bought there compost made from cow manure.  When was the last time you saw a cow crap sticks?  And when was the last time you saw compost that was flat black, no variations at all.

The second product i bought was suppose to be peat moss decomposed to the point of humus.  What did I get?  It looks exactly like wet portland cement.  It's grey, sickly grey and one step away from dripping wet.  Now I know why the bag weights 40 pounds when it is a small bag. 

As if I had money to waste right?  Ok I'm done venting.  I hope none of the rest of you are ending up with products you don't like.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Warning
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
can you return it?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
On the composted cow manure...most of these companies are getting the manure from CAFO's, where the cows are on dirt or cement, so there is no bedding mixed in the manure. So, in order to acheive the green/brown mixtre, they must add wood debris, usually from recycle places., hence the sticks.

There are two such places in Eugene. All in all, it's a good soil amendment, but nothing like home compost.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:27 PM »
So they don't bother to screen it?

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »
Nope, even the mega loads I get have some chunk to it. Nothing over about 4" long, and roughly a pencil diameter, though...
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »
Well that may explain the chunks but the unnatural color is still a none starter with me.  I don't want died products.  I throw enough chemical toxins at the bugs and pests lol.

I'm so bad.

They wanted 8 bucks a bag for nugget bark mulch.  I can get a product with the same things in it for 2.58 at walmart.  The chunks are bigger but time takes care of that problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal