Author Topic: Persian Shield  (Read 3101 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Persian Shield
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
I founds some! I found some!  I'm so thrilled.  I love this plant and it's not for sale all the time.  I came home and put it in a larger pot right away.  Now it is happily placed on the fireplace mantle.  I'm so thrilled to have it.  Now I have to find out all about it because it is an annual and I want to be able to keep one around. 

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Re: Persian Shield
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
That is a gorgeous plant!

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
It is a pretty plant. But I do think you can winter them over indoors. I have had then overwinter outdoors. Not every year. they are a picky plant when it gets cold. But they have lived to shine through a couple of my milder winters.
Congratulations on the find!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »
Yeah I definitely need to figure out how to propigate it.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
Beautiful plant. I had to google it. Never heard of it before.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
The jewel tone of the purple is really something before it turns silver.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
found this:

Strobilanthes dyerianus, better known as "Persian Shield", features iridescent, colorful leaves of purple, green and silver. I've always grown it in a container, where it starts out slow but eventually gets very tall (about 2-3 ft.) by mid-summer. This plant loves the heat but wilts easily and it prefers semi-shade during the hottest part of the day. Unfortunately, it is very tender and turns to mush after the first frost. Cuttings can be taken and I read that it can be treated as a houseplant, although I haven't tried this. In containers, it looks nice with ferns, coleus, impatiens, caladiums or begonia. In the ground, I would use it with tropical-type plants like canna, elephant's ear and gingers.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
Canna's and Elephant's ear are both very large plants.  I don't think I would put the persian shield with them because they would overwhelm it.  But that's just my opinion.  And as a designer I am a dead loss.  Anyone else want to weigh in on that topic?  I'm always looking for opinions.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
My first thought when I read that was pretty much the same, Tammy. Those plants would overwhelm any persian shield I've ever had. I would stick to smaller clumps of hostas, caladiums and such.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »
Mine is on the mantle and the only other plants I have on the mantle are a croton and an av.  I suppose if I wanted to do an interior landscape I might choose a semi tall large mouthed pot use the persian shield for height, the oyster plant for cascading down the side of the pot and and then maybe the miniature snapdragons that have a mounding habit when not staked either in a yellow for contrast or in the purples and pinks if I wanted something more harmonous. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »
I mainly posted that because it said cuttings can be taken and you mentioned propagating.  I don't do houseplants anymore.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
I can understand that.  They aren't as satisfying as the garden are they?  If I could keep them in flower I'd probably like them a lot more but I just don't do all that great with them. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
I used to have a lot but this house, even though it has 28 gigantic windows, doesn't get a lot of sun inside.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
Isn't that weird.  If it wasn't for my skylights my house would be very dark and there are plenty of good sized windows.  I think part of it is that it is cattywhampus to the compass points and the slope and trees also keep it from being as sunny as it could be. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal