Author Topic: Watermelon Pickles  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Watermelon Pickles
« on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
Watermelon Pickles  :good2:

My MIL just brought me a couple down to try, she's hosting a lunch today, and my SIL makes these............i had never tried them, and they were pretty good :542:

Cherries add a little extra color to these watermelon pickles.
Ingredients:
•2 pounds watermelon rind
•1/4 cup pickling salt
•4 cups water
•2 cups sugar
•1 cup white vinegar
•1 tablespoon broken stick cinnamon
•1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
•1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
•5 maraschino cherries, halved,optional
Preparation:
Trim the dark green and pink parts from watermelon rind. Cut rind in 1-inch cubes and measure 7 cups. Soak watermelon rind overnight in a mixture of the pickling salt and water. If it takes more to cover, use the same proportion salt to water. Drain and rinse watermelon rind. Cover rind with cold water in a large saucepan; cook just until tender.
Meanwhile, in a 6 to 8-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, whole cloves, and 1 cup water. Simmer mixture 10 minutes, then strain. Add drained watermelon rind, lemon slices, and maraschino cherries, if using. Simmer the mixture until watermelon rind is translucent. Fill hot half-pint jars with watermelon rind and syrup mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Makes 2 1/2 pints.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Watermelon Pickles
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
:kissies: thank you penny!  my mother used to make these.  i miss them!  and could never find the recipe.  she used to make watermelon preserves too out of the rind.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
Re: Watermelon Pickles
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2010, 06:57:09 AM »
I didnt know if i would like these, when she brought them down, but they were really really good.
I'm glad you now have the recipe, Jenn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal