Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
Fleas
« on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »
Poor Piper has fleas... and she must be allergic to them as well cuz in the last week she has really been biting at herself and I noticed today has chewed off a bunch of the hair on her back to get to them.  We have never had a problem with fleas with her before and use the flea drops and flea shampoo but I need something more drastic to alleviate her suffering here.

What do you all use?  Any natural remedies I can find in my cupboard?  Anything she can eat to help with the problem?  Any ideas at all?

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
Re: Fleas
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
What flea drops are you using?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »
Garlic is supposed to help keep them away. I use Frontline on my dog when I remember.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
ok the drops we have always used are Hartz UltraGuard and Patrick picked up some Sergeants Nature's Guardian Flea and Tick Spray today as well as a flea collar.  We have a flea shampoo but it is in the garage right now.

Is she supposed to eat the garlic?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:06:10 PM »
Yes, eating it is how it helps. Garlic will not harm her. She may end up with a little breath from it. But if she has fleas then you do too in your house. You will need to treat more than just her. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
I know... I have already sprayed where she lays all the time and the carpet in the living room.  Next time we have to go anywhere for an extended period of time, I will bomb the house but that will be once I get a handle on them on her. 

I just feel so bad.  I knew she was scratching some but did not notice how bad it was until today.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
I use advantage and my dogs have never had any fleas, nor have I ever had flea problems in my house. It's the only brand I've found that works consistently for my animals. I get mine on ebay. Much cheaper that way.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Jessica

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »
I use Frontline on Libby.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
Frontline is another good one, as is Revolution. Revolution costs more, but works for more than just fleas and ticks. If you get the right one (Revolution), it also works for ear mites and heart worms. But, as expensive as Frontline and Advantage is, Revolution is more so.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1985-05-01/Natural-Flea-Control.aspx

From above link;
Hidden among the many synthetic pesticides on the market today are three organic flea fighters. The first group of these consists of two varieties of pyrethrin that are derived from the flower heads of several types of Old World chrysanthemums; their pesticidal properties have been utilized for centuries.

A much newer natural agent, d-Limonene, is a by-product of the citrus industry and carries a mild, grapefruitlike odor.

But it's the third of the three natural pesticides that is the safest and that offers the greatest hope. While both pyrethrins and limonenes are much less toxic than the synthetic organophosphates and carbamates, they should still be used with caution. There's only one pesticide, natural or otherwise, that's a specific for insects and completely safe. Diatomaceousearth is a type of fossilized algae that resembles chalk dust. The fine, sharp-edged particles attach themselves to and penetrate the waxy coating on a flea's shell-like exoskeleton, causing the little bloodsucker to dehydrate and die.  :smack:

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
I use DE and frontline. Thanks to squirrels, I have to treat monthly. The drops you find at the store are no longer effective...they have built up a tolerance to them...and if you google about them, they cause a lot of seizures and deaths in pets. :(
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
Triss we add some apple cider vinegar(make sure its acv) to Kobe's drinking water each day......fleas HATE itand die, and if Piper has any hot spots, it helps to clear those up, and her coat will be really nice too.

I would start with 1 tblspoons(2 if she is over 85lbs), depending on the size of her bucket, make sure to change it each day, and add fresh ACV, we have been using it with Kobe now for years, and he has never had fleas, we dont bother with the flea meds from the Vet, this seems to work, so why change it.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010, 10:22:25 AM by Penny »

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2010, 12:13:40 PM »
Ok I am going to look for the DE and frontline.  I like the idea of ACV in her water as I change that every day and it would be an easy addition as well. 

Just after what we did yesterday, I am seeing a whole lot less fleas on her.  That makes me happy.  I know it will take a while for her skin to heal but I think I am on the right path.

Thank you all for the tips!

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
You're welcome, Triss...and good luck.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »
When my son was young he worked for a groomer. They bathed the animals in vinegar and dishwashing detergent.
This is me ->?

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #15 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
Yes, actually, bathe the dog in dawn soap and it will kill the fleas. You need to lather well and leave it on a few minutes, the rinse very well. This will not however, prevent new fleas, and I don't believe it kills eggs.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
I think Dianne got something from the vet that killed the fleas on Angel, then used the monthly stuff. Not sure.
This is me ->?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »
What kind of dog is Piper?  ToDeTa has had fleas twice.  Cissy's dog and house were infested once when she stayed there and I think she got them from the grass the other time.  She's so close to the ground.  Johnny took her to the vet and bought some unbelievably expensive stuff and it made her walk crooked.  He didn't use it again and just picked off all the fleas.  We had Terminix take care of the house.

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2010, 09:55:21 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think what Dianne got was a little pill, and it was only a couple of bucks. Maybe she will be feeling better today and tell us.
This is me ->?

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
Piper is a black lab... that makes the fleas harder to spot.  She is scratching and biting a whole lot less.  I will be looking for the DE stuff when I go shopping today.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:00:08 PM »
So this is to be used to get rid of an infestation Dianna... and then use other things to keep them away. 

I did not find the DE stuff at WM.  Where do you all get that usually?

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
You will most likely find it in the garden center of WM or Home Depot or something like that. Or maybe in the pool supplies. Some people use DE in the pool filters.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
Oh well I did not check in those areas.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
DE is usually used to kill and repel slugs in the garden.  So the garden center is a great place to look for it.

We used Hartz on our kitties last year and they were up to date - with over 6 months of applications on them when they got their horrid infestation that caused poor Blackie to go mostly bald.  We used revolution (which around here cost only $2 more than frontline for a 3 month supply) and it protects against ear mites, heartworm, fleas, ticks, and kills the mosquitos that may bite them.  Pretty good stuff.  It killed off all the fleas in the house (after being applied to both kitties) within 2 weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal