Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 6999 times)

Jessica

Re: Fleas
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
I really would get the stronger medicines from the vet.  My SIL bought a cheaper tick medicine and regretted it.  She just had to go back to the vet and get the better stuff.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
There are also a lot of reports of the cheaper otc stuff making animals sick. Causing seizure, burns, and worse, death in some cases. Some animals do fine with it, but I wouldn't try it on mine.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline barleychown

• Elite Member
  • live and let live Mischievous Minx
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »
Me either.

Capstar works for only 24 hours...great if you have taken your pet somewhere, they got fleas, and you noticed right away. If you have them in the house/yard...you're looking at a minimum of 6 weeks to get rid of them all.

There are nematodes you can spray on your yard, if you are in a problem area, like me. Due to the squirrels, I will never, ever get ahead of the game and eliminate all the fleas. So, I work to eliminate as many as I can, and keep my pets current on their frontline.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground

Offline SwampPeople

« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
COMFORTIS is a Flea Pill given Orally to your dog. We break ours up into pieces and add it to a half can of dog food. Within 30 minutes...NO FLEAS and No Fleas for a month. We have 4 dogs & 3 Cats and NO FLEAS. Been using this for 3 years. Some vets sell them in 3 paks. Our vet sells them by the pill, which is better for us as they go by the weight of the dog. Try COMFORTIS. Your dog will love you for it. Make sure they have food on their tummy's or it could cause them to upchuck.  :dancingbunny:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
I couldn't remember the name of that pill to save my life. Glad you popped in to add it, SwampPeople. :grinnnn: That is what I gave my little Angel the last time she had a bout with fleas...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #30 on: Oct 05, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
Yes, thanks.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
and i am here to tell you, it works.  and works well.  but the vet told me not only will it upset their tummies, it won't work right either.  the effects will wear off in less than 3 weeks and it is supposed to be a once a month pill.  we used it on the dogs, and while i didn't give it to the cat, it got rid of the fleas that were on the cat.  good stuff (even if it is expensive.)  my vet did say not to give it to any animals that you are in the middle of breeding, it will cause them to miscarry.

i have to add, i did not know about comfortis when this post was last active.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »
I did some research on comfortis and have read some horror stories of reactions to the meds. I think I'll stick with the Advantage. Its messy, but for my dogs it works (when I remember to use it)
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:52:22 AM »
The one time that I used it for Angel (she rarely has a flea problem), she didn't have any problems whatsoever with it. Maybe it depends on the dog or the breed?  :unsure: As small as your babies are, Barb, I am wondering if they would do better with a mini-mini dose? I would definitely use it again if fleas attacked Angel again...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
The advantage works for mine. And this thread served to remind me to put it on them. lol

Offline UNCLEG

« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
Not sure If i saw this but use only food grade DE on your pets...not the kind for pools.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #36 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Does that apple cider vinegar does that really help for hot spots? That a real bonus if it keeps fleas away as ell!!
"A Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up" -Anonymous

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal