Author Topic: My Daylilies  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Peggy

My Daylilies
« on: Jun 08, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
Last fall, I went around collecting flowers from folks who were thinning out their flower gardens... basically from three ladies... two in Roseburg, and one in Cottage Grove.  One lady in Roseburg (Lookingglass District), gave me a lot of day lilies... you see these  all around, they are common landscaping plants...they are used commercially.

But, you know when you haul them, and plant them.. and then figure it will be two years before you see a bloom.. it feels really good when the first one opens... the first year!!!  I had so many of these things, that I put some out in the garden in a hay
pile to keep them good while I figured out what to do with them.. lol. 
This one is by my fish pond... (I took pictures of those critters, too!)

my butterflly bushes have buds on them too! another one that I figured I'd get flowers from in the second year after transplant. They are in my far right corner of the yard--an area I have designated my butterfly and bee corner...  it's a "wild" part of the yard where when we moved in, had blackberry bushes 10 feet tall, and well.. we hauled a lot of garbage out of there too...  so it's clean now, and we are in the process of taking the poplar trees out of that corner... we will be leaving two small cedars... There is also some wild rose, that bloomed this year back there... Removing the blackberries left bare ground.. the first year I Threw clover seed out there...and it's growing.. But this year I sprinkled hundreds..and thousands of flower seeds out there, and I Am keeping it moist, and I am hoping that in a few years after these things gett good roots, we'll have a corner of absolute color...   I Guess We will see!!

p.s. sorry if this picture seems dark.. I'm thinking maybe I am loosing the monitor, might need to replace it.  hugs, peg

:devgel:
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: My Daylilies
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
That is very pretty, Peggy! Such a bright color...

:idea: Wonder if I planted a bee corner if the bees would stay there and out of my flower bed? I am allegic to bumblebees and some wasps...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline Peggy

Re: My Daylilies
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2007, 02:34:35 PM »
I don't know if they would stay in the corner or not. I am allergic too, a sting can send me to the hospital for shots.. it's not live threatening, just uncomfortable.

sometimes, I think I'm silly for doing this, but the truth is, I'm not going to attact butterflies/hummingbirds without attacting bees! ha!

:Halo:
How are you?  I'm great!  Glad to see you! Hope we meet again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal