Author Topic: how to make a clown  (Read 2199 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
how to make a clown
« on: Nov 07, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
start with any type yarn you like.  and a hook to match.  gauge not important.

chain 5 or 6.  join with a slip stitch to make a circle.  chain 3. double crochet in circle 15 times.  join in the chain 3 with a slip stitch.  that makes 16 stitches. 

chain 3.  double crochet in chain 3 hole.  then double crochet 2 times in each space between each double crochet.  you will have 32 doubles when you join the last one at the top of the chain 3.  fasten off.

make 28-32 of these, but an even number.  then, with a contrasting color (i usually use white) single crochet around the edge of each one.

join them together on 4 points with a slip stitch.  i usually do that as i edge them.  so i edge the first one, then edge the second, stopping to slip stitch it to the one already edges at 4 points.  then when i start edging the 3rd one, i stop and slip stitch it to the one i just finished, BUT, not at the points it was joined to the one before.  use the middle between joins.  do this, alternating until you have half of them joined, then repeat for the rest.  that will give you 2 stretchy "tubes" of crocheted circles or "yo yos"

then i make the head.  it is just a crocheted ball.  i can put those directions if you need them.

using a yarn/tapestry needle and the contrasting (white for me) yarn/thread, sew the two tubes together in the middle. i usually join it on the 5th or 6th yoyo, and then on 2 join points for each yoyo for a total of 5-6 spots.  then i sew the head on the top.  embroider eyes, nose and mouth, and crochet or sew some kind of hat.  put pom poms on the ends for hands and feet, then you have a clown.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal