Author Topic: Turkey Day  (Read 9681 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Turkey Day
« on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
I haven't gotten any of the cooking done early so tomorrow is going to be interesting.

The Turkey goes in the oven at 8:30 a.m.

Then I'll start on the stuffing.  Unfortunately I didn't make the sourdough to make the stuffing with this year.  I wish I had.  But the Box will have to do this year.  With some sauteed onions and celery to help it along. 

It was a store bought pumpkin pie this year.  I still was not willing to try a pie crust.  I'll get there one day but not yet.

I have the yams and marshmellows so I'm good there and I'm pretty good at making gravy now so I'm not expecting any problems there.

How are the rest of you doing preparing your Thanksgiving feast?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Turkey Day
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
i will cook tomorrow and friday for saturday when we have our family thanksgiving.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
I am just now getting the pie in the oven and the eggs boiled. The rest will have to wait for tomorry.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:28:38 PM »
it will be the morry before i get anything done.  i'm already in bed with the netbook.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
I plan to start the deviled eggs right after the turkey goes in.  I won't do many or I won't have an appetite when the turkey gets done lol.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
:giggle:  when i do them, i only do 2 or 3 because i'm the only one who eats them.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
Oh no, I do an entire dozen eggs. Everyone eats them here, though I have to do half without pickle relish.

I have everything still to do since I ended up sick yesterday. The kids felt bad for me so they took the turkey home with them and they are cooking it. But the rest is up to me.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
That's sweet they are doing the turkey.  I hope you feel much better today.  Ok, I'm going to take a short break and put in the eggs.  And try and find my recipe.  Since the old computer went down all my old recipes are gone. 

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »
I am, so far, doing much better. I've even eaten breakfast without a problem. I was starving since I never ate anything last night. lol.

Jessica

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
My family keeps things simple.  Mom still does all the cooking for Thanksgiving.  James has a huge family so it is a potluck style. It is at his sister's house so she makes the turkey and ham but everybody brings something.  So, I am making a dish to pass.  As far as deviled eggs go,  my family and James' family loves them.  I could make 2 dozen and they would be gone in no time but we only ever make a dozen.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Yum! Deviled eggs! I dont do them for thanksgiving, like duh said I'd have no appetite for the turkey if i made and ate them.

I have a pumpkin I'm going to make soup out of. Then we're having Turkey, rutabaga, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mashed taters. Thats way more than enough for the two of us.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »
contemplating what i'm doing with my day.  since i'm not cooking.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
Usually, my daughter is here early helping out. But this year she was obligated to be somewhere else by noon. So, other than them taking the turkey home to cook, I am doing it all. Them doing the turkey though, is a big help. Frees up my oven.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I can't find my deviled egg recipe.  Grrrrrh.  I can't remember it all from memory and I know the one in the cookbook is not to my liking.  Any one have one to offer?

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
Mine is quite simple. I just mix mayo and pickle relish in with the yolk until I get the right texture. I like mine with some texture, not creamed. Yours was probably fancier than that.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:01:17 PM »
i do mine with the yolk, mayo, and i like mine with bacon bits in it.  somefolks put paprika on theirs to brighten it up, but i hate paprika.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »
Oh yea, I do sprinkle with peprika too. I tried it once with bacon bits and wasn't fond of it which surprised me 'cause I love bacon.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »
I do my yolks with pickle relish, mayo and just a touch of prepared mustard, salt and pepper.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »
Trent and I ate with our neighbor. You name it, she had it and we ate it. Now I have a too full tummy, but it sure was yummy.
This is me ->?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:43:27 PM »
sounds awesome bonnie.  i'm glad you and trent had a good day!

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
my eggs are yolk with mayo, mustard, and a little grated onion, or chives on top, then paprika on top of that. I dont like them with relish. My friend Kim makes them that way.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »
my eggs are yolk with mayo, mustard, and a little grated onion, or chives on top, then paprika on top of that. I dont like them with relish. My friend Kim makes them that way.

Yummmm, those sound good.

And now all of you that have the turkey carcass, can make soup!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
That is definitely in the plan, along with turkey salad, turkey/cranberry/stuffing sandwiches with mayo and anything else I can think of.  I must say that the generic turkey stuffing from food lion is way to salty for my tastes.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
And too much salt, is not good.

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
MMMM Turkey soup! I'd need to go out and buy more ingredients tho.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal