Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 4  (Read 17092 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 4
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
I was at the library today and read a small novella (?) on yum yum and ko ko the two cats that Lilian Braun rights about in her detective books.  Then I checked out The Cat Who Read Backwards.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and enjoying every page.  I read this series years ago but enjoy revisiting it.  Needless to say it won't last the week, so I'm also reading a Science Fiction Anthology.  I'm pretty much finished with the first story and it has left a very bad taste in my mouth so it will be tough to finish.  The writting is first class...the subject is what is troubling.  It isn't nasty except that it blurs the line between facsimilies and reality that could really be awful if the authors theory were correct.  It gives me shivers just thinking about it.

If you read my blog you'll see that I picked up two first editions at the library.  They aren't old so they aren't valuable except to me.  Just the idea of owning any first edition seems super special to me.  I know I belong in a luny bin lol. 

Well here's to the next great book you read. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:31:04 PM »
shoot, tammy, owning a second edition was special to me!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
lol these first editions only cost me a dollar or two each at the library.  I now have 8 total first editions that I know of.  But I haven't went through all of the books I own yet.  None of them have any value except to me but that's good enough isn't it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:11:01 PM »
I finished "Books: A memoir" by Larry McMurtry.  He has evidently written some books that make great mini series and such but this book about his life is a miss.  He seems to have made a great effort to just dump facts on a page.  At one point I was pretty sure he did not write this himself, although it is in the first person. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
I just finished "Booked to Die," by John Dunning.  It was his first fiction novel about Cliff Janeway and it's a great detective novel about a bookman.  I read the series out of order because this book wasn't in our library system so I had to wait for it.

Then i reread "The Cat Who Said Cheese," by Lillian Jackson Braun.  I love these books.  As I find them I'll be picking them up for my personal library.

Currently I'm rereading "The Cat Who Saw Stars," by the same author of course. 

Offline Wrennie

• Will O Wisp
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
I just read a book of short stories called Haunted kids.(I think) Anyway, it had some good stories in it.

Look, I know the supernatural is something that isn't supposed to happen, but it does happen...RZ

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
I just finished reading "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent. It was a tear jerker at times, but very thought provoking. It is a non-fiction book about a four-year-old boy who visits Heaven and comes back to tell his parents all that he saw... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Mar 18, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »
I finished up The Cat Who Robbed a Bank and The Cat Who Went Up the Creek.  Both good as usual with Lilian Braun.

Now I've started a non-fiction book called A World Lit Only By Fire. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Tammy, I love books not matter what they cost.

Our book club read Saving Cece Honeycutt.  Yuck!

For next month It's Cutting for Stone.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
I put the non-fiction down in favor of "Aunt Dimity's Death," by Nancy Abernathy.  Great read.  I thoroughly loved it.  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
i love the aunt dimity series.  very good books, and uplifting and happy.  they also fit very well here at ssh :grinnnn:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
I didn't think of that Jenn but your right they do.  I'm reading the Aunt Dimity and the Duke right now.  It took me a while to understand it was earlier than Aunt Dimity's Death.  I kept on wondering if Derek was the same Derek as in the other book until I realized that this was where Emma and Derek met. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
I've been spending time over at abebooks.  They have a forum and in one topic I've found a group of people who are willing to help me wade through the classics.  I'm looking forward to this little jaunt.  I've always wanted to know what "everyone else does" but I could never get through any of the classics on my own.  I hope to make good progress this time.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
good luck on that tammy. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit scary.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #40 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:01:12 PM »
Is that an online forum duh?

I'm about 40 pages into Cutting for Stone and it's great so far.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #41 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
I looked up Abebooks and it looks like mostly a book selling site with a lot of old or rare books, signed books, etc. I didn't spend enough time there to check for a chat forum.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
It's called community i think and yes it is online. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Well I went to the library this morning and I checked out 4 Aunt Dimity books and 7 The Cat Who books.  My hope is that these will keep me busy for the next 2 weeks.  Since I cancelled Directv this morning I'll need something to keep me busy until I can get help hooking up the DVD.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
sounds like a plan tammy.  i will have to go to the library to find out who the author is, but there is another set of books, mysteries, where there is an angel who helps much like aunt dimity.   i know it is a different author, so i will have to go hunt them up.  i'll let you know.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
Thanks Jenn.  I think I'm going to look into starting some crochet projects too.  Some little things for christmas time.  My neighbor has a great book of crochet projects that was produced by Vanna White.  I'd never seen it before and look forward to working through some of the projects.  For example their towels.  They have the little hand towel ruffles and of course the kitchen towels with the button and buttonhold for keeping on the oven or refrigerator door.  Anyway I'm excited.  I think I'll get more done now that I don't have the tv in the way.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Mar 30, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
I just found out that the Aunt Dimity books have a recipe in the back of each book that is featured in the book.  What a cute little idea.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »
there are several authors who put recipes in their books.  aunt dimity is just one of them.

i read dean koontz for the first time last week.  it was a good book, "tick tock"  i had a hard time putting it down.  but i'm not sure i want to read any more of his.  i'm contemplating it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Mar 31, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
He is a good writter, might I say to good of a writter for the gendre?  You don't need much imagination he writes so well.  And I just don't want to read about crimes that way.  Can you imagine being too good at something?

I just finished, "Among the Gently Mad."  Loved it but it's only for Bibliophiles that want to collect, I think anyone else would be bored to tears.  By the time I went through his selected reading list I had increased my TBR list to 38 titles.  None of the titles are in our local library. 

I'm getting very tired of the Aunt Dimity series.  Ms. Atherton has turned the main character into a type of egocentric chicken little and she just isn't a lovable character anymore.  At least not for me. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Apr 04, 2011, 07:26:50 AM »
Just finished The Brothers of Baker Street evidently the second of two books.  I don't know if it requires a british sense of humor or what but I didn't care for it.  The characters lacked demension to me and the plot was so poor even I had it figured out before it was over and that never happens.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal