Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 4  (Read 17093 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 4
« Reply #50 on: Apr 04, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
i read two books today.  "murder talks turky" which was funny, quirky, and easy to read.  the other one was "the highly suspicious halo" which is part of the church choir mysteries.  this one was not a murder mystery, but was a good book.  it's a guidepost book, i had never read one of them.

and the books i was telling you about was the "augusta goodnight series" by mignon ballard.  augusta is a nice, quirky "guardian" angel.  i loved that series.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2011, 05:45:30 PM by bayou girl »
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: Apr 04, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »
forgot to tell you, all three of the books i mentioned have recipes in them :BigGrin:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #52 on: Apr 04, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »
I look forward to reading the books and reading the recipes.  Of course my TBR list has gotten completely out of hand.  So it may be next year before I finally get to read them.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: Apr 04, 2011, 10:15:53 PM »
well, the augusta goodnights i read last year or two.  but the other two, i read today.  one while i was waiting for my dr. appt and the other when i should have been napping :rolleyes1: :giggle:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: Apr 06, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
Today the interlibrary loan books came in.  I got: the bird artist, Beauvallet, and In the company of the courtesan.  Of course it will be a week before I get to them.  I have, "Spider Bones," and, "Kim," in front of them.  I'm excited to take a look at them but I'm going to be good and wait until I've finished what I already had.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Apr 08, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
The bird artist is not for me.  Neither is Beauvallet.  I'm reading In the Company of a Courtesan but it isn't my kind of book either.  I'll have to be careful and look up the books that are suggested.  My tastes are very different than those of the people on Abebooks.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »
in the last couple of days i've read a bunch of books.  all mysteries.  mostly the melanie travis series by laurien berenson and the china bayles series by susan witting albert.  both are good series that i have read some of before, but all the ones i read this time were new to me.  not new books, just new to me.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #57 on: Apr 10, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »
I just finished Cutting For Stone - really good but really long.

Offline Triss

• Elite Member
  • Live, Love, Laugh! Impudent Imp
    • Triss' Blog
« Reply #58 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
I have been reading Jodi Picoult's novels while I have been sick.  I read My Sister's Keeper, Handle With Care, The Tenth Circle and Second Glance.  I skipped reading Nineteen Minutes when I realized it was about a school shooting.  I just did not care for that at all.  Second Glance is a ghost story and it was really well done.

I am reading her book Change of Heart now.

We are all under the same stars, therefore we are never far apart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »
The library had another sale and I ended up with another duplicate.  I've just got to stop doing that lol. 

Well my book buying included.  Patricia Cornwell's, "Portrait of a Killer," and "Trace".  Then I got Agatha Christies, "Miss Marple; The Complete Short Stories," and "Hercule Poirot's Casebook."  Both of those are large print books and the covers are wonderful to my eyes.  Finally I got a biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir.  I can't wait to dig into that one.

But, I'm going to finish the cat who series first and then studing the ABC of Collecting to be prepared for the Rare Books Seminars this summer.  At least that my plan.  We'll see how it goes. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
Well I'm on page 37 of the ABC of Collecting and page 3 of my notes so I'm keeping up with the 12 page minimum I have to do to be finished in time to return the book to the library on time.  Do I deserve a pat on the back yet?

Then since I was on a buying spree, I bought, "Our Slips are Showing" Hallmark editions; "The Poisonwood Bible," by Barbara Kingsolver - a first edition; "Bagombo Snuff Box; uncollected short fiction," by Kurt Vonnegut - also a first edition and this one is in pristine condition. That should complete my buying spree unless I don't want to eat this month. 

Then I found out that the library is sponsoring a book discussion group to be facilitated by the new reference librarian.  She had already taken the time to learn my first name isn't that sweet.  So I am now reading, "The School of Essential Ingredients," by Erica Bauermeister.  I've only read the first couple of pages but I'm very intrigued.  Hopefully it will be enjoyable and I'll still recognize it after it's been discussed.  I have a tendency to miss a great deal when I read.  Comprehension 80% my foot, the test was wrong.  lol. 

Ok, admittedly I'm alittle giddy today.  Probably should have stayed home but I didn't. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
I love going to a book club.  People have ideas that never cross my  mind.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
Well I won't be going to this one.  The book went from interesting to sex about page 10 and by page 13 or so I was done.  I'll return it to the library and take myself off of the book club list next wednesday unless I go to town earlier for some reason.  I know publishers push sex and violence but I'm not reading stuff that belongs to the bedroom.  No matter how innocently presented.  I'm just not interested.  I suppose there maybe a need to explore ones sexuality under some circumstances I just never ran into them and I don't want to read about them. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »
Well more bad news my favorite librarian is leaving at the end of the month to spread her wings and go to new york and look for a job.  I do not want her to go but what can you do?  I thought I might buy her a box of chocolate and call them home sickness pills and ad a good luck card.  The young must leave the nest at sometime I suppose.  I just really wish she wasn't leaving.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
I've been reading, "The Way I see It; a personal look at Autism & Asperger's," by Temple Grandin, Ph.D.  It's emotionally difficult for me to read because it touches on a lot of things that happened to be through my life that I never had an explanation for.  Really wish someone had known in time to save me from a multitude of mistakes but that's life I guess.  I still need to know a great deal more before I can start to make progress on the problem.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
Reading up on it is a beginnig Tammy.  You should be proud.  Not everyone takes the initiative to try to figure it out. They'd rather blame others.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:21 AM »
Well there is plenty of blame to go around but that won't help me.  It's taken years of prayer to even find out what the problem was.  Then even more years for me to be able to delve into it.  It's one of those two edged swords.  On the one hand it is nice to know there is a reason for my strange uncontrollable behavior.  On the other hand it's hard to know that I'll always be missing something that normal people have.  I've been kind of teary eyed lately as you can imagine.  Sort of like grieving for a dream that doesn't happen.  Maybe a little self pity mixed in there.  But it's my 22 AA anniversary and my home group is celebrating on Friday for all the May anniversaries so I'm looking forward to that.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 09:46:11 AM »
22 years is awesome tammy.  and i get the whole grieving thing.  part of us always wants to be "fixed" or "whole" but no one really is.  we all have our baggage and trials.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
Um, the 12 step program is all about improving self through a personal contact with God.  I firmly believe that if am sincere in my request I will and have receive healing.  Not that it takes away my "baggage and trials", but that it makes them into tools that I can then use to help others.  I'm way not good at explaning this part of recovery.  That's been one of my major drawbacks as a member of AA and as a church member.  I can not as I am right now carry the message successfully.  And that's what I am currently working towards.  If I want to move forward it is necessary that there is a change in how I deal with the Aspergers.  Does that mean he'll fix my brain or just provide me a set of tools that I can use to manuver around it I don't know but I'm working towards finding out.

The way I make progress demands that I first look at the damage this defect has caused.  Which means I have to understand how the defect works in general and then look back at my life and see where things went wrong in the same circumstances.  That's where I am right now and it's one of the most painful parts of the process.   

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »
you are making progress tammy.  i think rather than fix by removing it is probably a fix by providing tools to maximize the benefits.  because there are benefits to every situation even if there are downsides.

i'm forever grateful for the tools i was given to deal with my add as a child.  it means that i manage better as an adult rather than using it as an excuse

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Tammy I like the way you say there is a reason for your behavior rather than calling it an excuse.  People who have an excuse for everything end up blaming everyone else and never get to the root of their problem.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56:56 AM »
Boy did I get off topic here.  Sorry about that all.  Thanks for your support. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
and we get off topic right along with you.  I'm one of the worst.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
Well back on topic I can't believe I've bought 412.00 worth of books since I've moved in here.  I'm a real book nut.  Now I'm looking up the books I have and finding out the FMV so I have it on my insurance inventory.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
That's a good thing to do Tammy.  I need to find another book to read but I don’t want to take the sit down time right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal