Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 4  (Read 16985 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 4
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:41 AM »
Yeah, I have to be careful to work first and read second.  It doesn't always work that way lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:12 AM »
Ok, I'm going to the book club someone please send tape for my big mouth.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Go figure, I loved the book club.  Great group of people and they all wanted to be part of one big group so there wasn't a bunch of conversations going on at once which is great for me - no sensory overload.  I should have hung on with the book.  Evidently it was more or less a bunch of short stories about a bunch of people all attending a cooking class.  I could have bypassed the claire character and maybe liked some of the other bits.  But we ended up discussing all kinds of life experiences that we had and how we viewed them.

So we got to know one another a fair bit and it was great fun. 

the next novel is a civil war epic along the lines of Gone with the Wind which I hated so I probably won't read it either.  I'll probably end up the only none reading member of the group lol.  Oh well.     

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:36 PM »
But if you like the group tammy, that is great!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
With me groups normally don't work well for long but for now it is great and I plan to enjoy it for as long as possible.  Inspite of the reading material lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
Well at the book club the librarian gave us a two page list of all the books that they have multiple copies of that are suggested reading for book clubs.  I managed to read summaries on the first eleven books and it's definitely feeling like work.  It seems like the best books for a book club are those that will bore me to death for the most part.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I hope I am wrong.  Maybe you all can help me out.

Here is the list:
Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos - amazon book review was an ugh for me.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I marked it as a possible.
Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier - Book review sounded bad to me.
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells - Sounded way to sickly sweet.

my arm is tired.  Maybe I'll go on later.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 08:44:01 AM »
Well I've managed to pull 19 possible titles out of the page and a half of suggestions that are on the book club list.  I think I've done very well.  At least at being open minded at this point.  Who knows how much of these I'll actually be willling to read once I get my hands on them and open the cover.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
good luck tammy.  generally, i'm a "if it doesn't hook me in the first chapter (or less) i put it down" kind of person.  but, lately, i read everything i start and i've found some good ones that way.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
I used to have to read everything I picked up from cover to cover or it would haunt me.  One good thing about my mind going is that I can't remember much about a book whether I finish it or not. lol.  So now I can put one down and it doesn't bother me.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
Read Cutting for Stone both of you.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
i'll see if the library has it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:03 PM »
My TBR list is already two pages long lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
I've joined another book club.  This one is on line.  It's on Abe and it's the Classic SF book club.  I'm not thrilled with the first book but hopefully they will do mine second and that will be fun.  The nice thing about it is the book are all free e-books.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
Cold and drizzly rain. I am not going to complain. I am  saving my complaining for a brutal summer.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
did you get the topics confused?  That happens sometimes.  I'm sorry it is cold and drizzly at your place.  I'm really glad my air conditioner is working and that I didn't have to replace the entire thing.  I'll just have to keep on top of those points or whatever they are.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
I did and I am sorry. Not sure how.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: Jun 08, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
I've done it.  Well as always happens when it rains it pours.  All but one of the out of library system books that I ordered have come in all at once.  And the one I was most excited about still hasn't come in lol.  Life is crazy sometimes.  But it will all work out.

So here is what is on the reading agenda:

Princess of Mars for the online book club
Jacobs Ladder for the library book club
Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships for the aspergers
The Tiger in the House that was mentioned in The Cat Who series
Principles of Bibliographical Description for the Rare Books School Lecture Series
Anne Perry's The Sheen on the Silk for the Summer Reading Program at the library

Do you think I can do them all justice by the 13th of July?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: Jun 08, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
i think you can.  that is almost 6 weeks.  that's about one a week.  and you are a good reader.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:42:52 AM »
I was sure I had posted my latest books here but I don't see it.  Crazy huh?

Well here is what I'm reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships (book about autism), The Sheen on the Silk (13th century detective type story), Principles of Bibliographical Description (book for the summer lecture series at the rare book school), The Tiger in the House (A book mentioned in The Cat Who series).  

I went overboard ordering books from outside the library system and now I have to get them all read before their due date.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Jun 16, 2011, 10:14:29 AM »
I just finished The Sheen on the Silk by Anne Perry.  Amazing book.  I read Anne Perry's Pitt and Monk series' and I've read some of her other stuff, this book I would have to say was a cut above as far as weaving an intriging plot.  There is religion, politics, a couple of battles, love, what it means to be of a certain gender, just all kinds of things and they are done with taste and very interesting.  The end was alittle rushed in my opinion but well worth the read.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #95 on: Jun 17, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »
Well "The Tiger in the House" is going back to the library.  It's to bad that in the last age everyone thought to be fashionable it had to be french.  The french quotes in this book just about drove me to distraction.  I missed all the good parts I'm sure.  And although I like cats this book is written to long ago and just isn't worth the read.  Of course that's just my opinion.  I have to applaude Mrs. Braun's ability to plow through the classics and other aged books.  I certainly haven't been able to do it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Jun 20, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »
Well I found Mercedes Lackey's booklist and have printed it out.  Of course our library system doesn't have any of the books.  That's no suprise.  So I'll be ordering them one or two at a time to read.  The ones I want to reread I'll buy as the money becomes available. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
I just read "Armor of Light," by Ellen L. Ekstrom.  It's well written but I'm left thinking I missed a very important part of the book.  I'm thinking maybe it is based on a bible story or something.  And since I don't know it I missed a great deal of what was going on.  I suppose that is a sign of a book that isn't well written since a story should stand on it's own.  It's 179 pages altogether and that may say something too.  I'm thinking that maybe it is published by a vanity press.  I'm going to look into it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Jun 21, 2011, 08:57:09 AM »
Ok not a vanity press just a very new publisher.  The problem with publishing "new" fiction is that they frequently, "throw out the baby with the bathwater."

Some of the rules in publishing are there for very good reasons.  Along with all the dross that has become dogma and completely rigid even when it damages a good story.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #99 on: Jun 29, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
Well I just finished repairing "Hugh Peroe's Casebook"  Now I can start reading it.  I'm looking forward to reading it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal