Author Topic: "Fruits & Nuts" 2011  (Read 7270 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
"Fruits & Nuts" 2011
« on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »
I'm excited, my plum tree has flowers on it.  Everything else is barely buded but the plum is definitely raring to go.  I'm hoping I get some fruit off of it this year. 

I have Pears, Cherries, Plum, blueberry and blackberry.  What do you have and how is it doing?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: "Fruits & Nuts" 2011
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
The blooms are already gone off the plum trees but a few are left on the pear.  Is it too early for blooms on the apple trees because I haven't noticed any on them.

I can't remember if we'll get pecans this year or not.  Sometimes it's every other year but they've produced the last 2 years in a row.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
My plum is if full flower at the moment and the pears are just getting started.  The cherry still look like they are barely budding.  Today at Wally world they had an Alberta Peach for 18.00 dollars I was sorely tempted I'll tell you.  It was a semi dwarf.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
This is so exciting!  One of the cuttings from both the Moonglo and the Bartlett Pears have started to sprout flowers and leaves.  Isn't that so cool?  I had my fingers crossed but I wasn't at all sure that it would work. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
It is exciting, Tammy. I hope they grow and produce for you!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
Actually I'm hoping to be able to give them away if they grow well. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
Well there were about 12 plums on the tree and then there were 7 and then there were 3 and then there was one and a fought the wasp for that one.  Where did the others go?  I don't know.  I've been told that deer and fox will climb trees to get at fruit and I guess they will.  I guess next year I better get those tree nets on the trees.  So how I always convince myself they aren't necessary and I end up without any fruit.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
I'm so sorry you lost your fruit, Tammy...:(
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »
Well learn something new all the time.  My tree nets aren't square.  They are a rectangle.  They wrap around the tree twice.  I guess it makes much more sense to have them that shape.  It's easier to go around that it is to go over.  

So the plum is the only one with fruit on it and so I've netted it.  Well the best I could anyway.  Hopefully enough to discourage the larger foragers.  

The blackberries are doing a huge crop for the few vines that are actually producing.  I harvested a handful yesterday and could have done the same today except that I wasn't in the mood to harvest.

And then there are these.

If the leaves were crispier they would be terrific but they are limp the minute they are picked.  It's called butter crunch I think.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Well today I picked up a big pot with two bell pepper plants in it.  They each have a number of peppers on them.  So I added compost where the baby roots were showing and then watered it with water soluble fertilizer and pinched off the extra blooms so it could put the energy into growing the peppers that were already there.  I'll get a picture tomorrow if I can. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think you're talking about Dianna and Jim. :BigGrin:

I have totally forgotten about our plum trees.  I know they flowered a while back but I've never even looked to see if they set fruit.  I'll check that out today.  I do know that most of the blackberries are gone.  Guess the deer got to them before I did.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:47:50 AM »
Every time I see the title of this thread I think you're talking about Dianna and Jim. :BigGrin:

:naughty:

I have some bell peppers growing in our garden. I am wondering if they will survive all the rain we have had... ::)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »
I've harvested enough peppers that I now have enough seeds for my entire branch at church.  Now the question is do I grow them and give them out at Easter or give them out as seeds in december.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
Duh, what would be the significance of giving them at Easter?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
planting time?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal