Author Topic: landscape question  (Read 3492 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
landscape question
« on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
Well this is probably going to have to wait.  I tried to take a picture of the driveway bed but it was shady up there right now and I couldn't get a picture.  But if you happen to remember what it looks like add the three rosebushes along the roadside fence equaldistant apart and you'll have what it looks like know.  What I'm trying to figure out is where do I put the Peacock Orchids (glads) do I try to intersperse them with the irises or do I want a group planting and if I want a group where should I put it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
Re: landscape question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »
I do like groups and clumps of this or that. I like it visually as well as the fact that they are easier to remember where they are in their invisible season.
I don't remember your driveway beds but consider the height and bloom season and then plonk them in where you would like to see them.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
I'm just no good at plonking lol.  I end up moving them year after year and I never get to see them bloom because of the moving.  I think your right since these have to be lifted they need to be in a cluster.  I forgot about that. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
I have my glads in a group by themselves.  Remember they may need to be staked or tied to something so you might want to put them against a fence or wall.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
There's an idea.  I could group them by the fence post and then tie them there.  Although I don't think the peacock orchid types get as tall as regular ones do they?

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
Mine don't. I think of them more like a medium dutch iris. They usually hold themselves up well. My regular iris need staking.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
Well I changed my mind completely.  Nothing new there right?  I planted the peacock orchids in the tree bed on the sunny side at the top of the bed.  So looking at it from the street the shady side has columbine, the center are irises, and the sunny side will be the peacock orchids.  So I have spring and fall covered I just need something up their for summer.  There are two hollyhocks left but since they have never bloomed I don't really count them.  The bachelor buttons are behind the peacock orchids and they may managed the summer color before the peacock orchids come up.  It's a possibility anyway.  We'll see what happens. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
Most hollyhocks are a biennial. They green up the first year and bloom the second. So good luck. It sounds lovely.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
These hollyhocks aren't following any rules they are 4 years old and have never bloomed.  Don't ask me what is going on with them I haven't a clue.  I've fertilized and hand watered and they just don't want to bloom or die.

I had planned to fill in the columbine side with my winter sow but none of them came up so I'm going to have to get some more seeds commercial this time and use the refrigerator to chill them.  That way I can keep and eye on them and make sure everything works according to plan. 
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 06:00:42 PM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
Best Layed plans of mice and men.  I never did get the columbine.  I suppose I could plant some out there now.  It's the right time of year anyway. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal