Author Topic: Sago palms  (Read 4579 times)

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
Sago palms
« on: Jun 17, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »
You can see in this pic that I have a large Sago Palm..

This palm has several outshoots all around the base (don't know what you'd actually call them)..

And I have a stump of an old Sago that has outshoots also

I tried to show where these outshoots all have their own "base".  Does this mean they are their own plant and I can separate them from the main Palm? If so, how would I go about doing that without killing them? Does it need to be done at a certain time of the year?  I have always loved sago palms and have a couple of areas in the yard where I would love to transplant a couple of these if it's possible.  I realize most of you are in areas where you don't see Sagos, but am hoping someone may have some information anyway...

Also, is the little one in the forefront a "goner"? It's a victim of the draught. We've been trying to get and keep everything watered, but our water bill is going to be astronimical since the well pump hasn't been fixed yet. We had to use city water to bring the level up on our pool... twice - ouch!, so we are trying to keep things watered without tooooo much use of the city's water (the rain storms this past week has helped!).

Thanks all.

« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2007, 02:19:00 PM by sunsoaker »
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Sago palms
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
This is an interesting article for some information you can use, Barb.

Not to scare you, but I must caution you to that the sago palms seeds/nuts and the bark can make a four-legged baby extremely ill. It can cause liver failure and death to your little pups if they ingest any of it...

Hopefully, your zoo will just ignore the sagos like Aunt Bonnie's do and you won't have any problems with them...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »

Not to scare you, but I must caution you to that the sago palms seeds/nuts and the bark can make a four-legged baby extremely ill. It can cause liver failure and death to your little pups if they ingest any of it...

Hopefully, your zoo will just ignore the sagos like Aunt Bonnie's do and you won't have any problems with them...

Oh My!!  I had no idea.  Are the seeds/nuts something I can "manage" to keep them from developing and/or getting them off the ground before the furbabies have a chance to get to them?? They are definately scavengers, especially buddy. He drags leaves and stuff in all the time.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
Barb, under toxicity in this article, it will tell you more. I would hate to see any of your babies get sick. It says the seeds/nuts can be picked off to prevent the pets from munching on them....

Just wanted to give you a heads-up on it in case you weren't aware...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:20:33 PM »
I do thank you 'cause I really wasn't aware!  I'd hate to give up my Sagos, but would hate it even more if something were to happen to one of my furbabies.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
Barb, Aunt Bonnie has a Sago Palm and her pups just ignore it. Maybe yours would, too...

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »
I checked out those articles.. added them to my favorites even.  The seeds look to be plenty big and easy enought to pick up, or even off the Sago before they're dropped if I can get past the fronds (is that the right term?) without getting stabbed to death... lol.  Looks like the Sagos get to stay.  :clap:

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
I love the Sago Palm when it is still a bush before the trunk grows. Those things seem to grow fast, too.

Make sure you wear long sleeves when you are picking the seeds/nuts and maybe you won't get cut up!  ;) 

I am glad you are going to keep them. I would do the same as you and just keep a watch and pick the seeds. With supervision while the babies are outside, I don't think you will have any problems at all. I just wanted you to be aware of it because I know your babies mean as much to you as my Angel does to me... :grinnnn:
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007, 08:54:51 PM by Dianna »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal