Author Topic: Crafts for the Trade Lots in September  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Re: Crafts for the Trade Lots in September
« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:43:13 AM »
You can do it. :good2: We have faith in you... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:01:53 AM »
Luv u Dianna.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
You are really moving along, be sure to post some pics if you can....I'd love to see some.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2011, 04:20:32 PM »
If my pictures came out I would definitely post them but they don't.  If I do anything that really looks cool in a picture I'll post it. 

Today I went to Carol's quilt shop for a lesson in making a pillowcase.  It was an interesting technique where there is absolutely no hand sewing and it used 3 seperate fabrics.  One fabric for the body of the pillowcase, one fabric for the piping, and one fabric for the trim.  We even got to do a french seam.  I went an hour and a half early to get the fabrics because I know that's where I fall down.  I wanted fabrics that would go in my bedroom.  The color theme is all shades of green, cream, and brown.  I was still late starting the class because even with Pattys help we were having trouble.  But once we dropped the brown piping and went for a very light color it came together and it looks fantastic.  I'll see if I can get a picture.  And the face fabric is a perfect match for the new bedspread.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »
that sounds awesome tammy!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »
The pictures just seem to get worse as I go along.  I have no idea why these appear almost black and white in color.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #31 on: Jul 08, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
The pic is good enough to allow us to see. You did a good job on it. I like.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #32 on: Jul 08, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
I like that, Tammy. Good job.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: Jul 08, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
That's is awesome Tammy.  They look professionally done.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Jul 08, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
Thank you everyone. 

Yesterday evening Lana came over and mentioned that her friend couldn't find leg warmers so I found a couple of patterns on line and now I've started making some altering the patterns as I go along because well there are things that I don't care for in the patterns that I found.  The first pair I am making are a bone color I think.  I don't know what it's actually called I forgot to look lol. 

I also bought enough crochet thread to make a valance for my kitchen window.  Or at least I hope I got enough.  It's hard to guess-timate sometimes.  Like the hat I'm working on I thought 2 skeins would be enough.  Nope I'm 3 rows short of finished and the second skein is all used up.  So, I'm going to have to get an entire skein just for that last little bit.  Hate it when that happens. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:24:45 AM »
I grabbed one of my ice cream tubs for a hat block.  It was to tall of course, so I cut it down now it is perfect.  I have to finish the last three rows and then I'll wash it and then starch it and then probably glue it to give it as much stability as possible.  Cross your fingers for me.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #36 on: Jul 10, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »
Very nice. For your crafts, make lots and lots of those hanging kitchen towels. I think they will sell.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
Right.  Everyone loves those hanging towels.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
All the vendors have hanging towels.  So I won't be making any of those.  They also have the plastic bag holders, pot holders, place mats, napkins and napkin rings. 

I finished the hat and decided that I would use it for a bed ornament because it just won't stiffen up enough for a wall hanging. 

I finished one pair of leg warmers and have started another pair.  They don't take long to do at all. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Jul 13, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
I've been trying to make the pattern pieces for the Etui Box and am having the most difficult time with it.  It's taken weeks now and I only have the patterns for the matboard pieces.  I still haven't figured out all the pieces of material that are needed.  If this doesn't turn out I may give it up completely.  What a mess.  I wish I had never started it at this point.  If any one else has decided to make these please tell me the demensions of the lining and the main fabric pieces that you made to include such things as the pockets and the elastic casings.  And how many of each piece you cut.  How could something that looks so simple be so complicated.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: Jul 13, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
tammy, i'm not going to make it, but, if i can, i'll try to figure out the dimensions for you and the number of pieces.  might take me a day or two though, just don't get in a hurry.  that way, i might decide to make them one day in the future.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
ok tammy, you got me curious, so i went to the link and figured it out for you.  i'm sorry you are having problems with it, but trust me, i get how hard it is to get it.

you need 6 each out of the card stock/tag board, whatever you are using. of 4in x 3.75in (this is the outside sides); 6 of 3.75in x 3.5in this is the inside sides; 6 of 4in x 1in (this is the "brim" or lip of the lid).

you need 6 each out of the outer fabric, of 5in x 4.75in (this is the outside sides);  6 of 5in x 2in (this is the "brim" or lip of the lid). and 6 of 4.75in x 4.5in of the lining material.

the pattern says that the gussets (you need six) should be 4x5x1/2.  the 1/2 goes at the bottom.

the top and bottom hexagons materials should be 8 1/2 inch circles.  that will let you fold it over to cover it, without making the corners too thick.  you will have rounded pieces folded over on the under side.

the lining hexagons should have the  material cut in 8 inch circles.

your elastic casings should be 1/2 in wide, so cut 3 panels of 6" x 3" of the outside fabric for the "pouches" that have elastic on the top.  you will cut 3 pieces of 1" x 6" for the elastic band covers.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
the reason the elastic pieces are so much wider is to allow for the bunching/gathering of the fabric.  the actual pieces of elastic need to each be 4 1/2" long and you need six of them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »
So what was all that about the outside brim needing to be all one piece 28 inches long and cut of the lining material?  Did I completely misunderstand?  And I say that in all honesty.  That's what I thought I read over and over again.  You wouldn't believe how confused I am.  Lets see if I can repeat it back to you the way my brain works.

LID - cut one main fabric, one of lining fabric, and one of batting (the batting to be cut the actual size of the lid while the others are cut large enough to turn under.)

LID BRIM - cut 6 main fabric, and 6 of the lining fabric and no batting.

OUTSIDE SIDES - cut 6 main fabric, and 6 of the lining fabric is there any batting on these pieces that needs to be cut? 

INSIDE SIDES - these don't get any material at all on them?

DOUBLE BOTTOM - how many of these am I suppose to cut out the which materials and although it said not to pad the bottom do I pad the inside? 

I'm just a mess.  I think this one is beyond me no matter how much I wanted to make it.  I've always had problems with 3 dimensional craft projects and it looks like that hasn't changed.  I just don't understand what I'm seeing. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
tammy, you did good except where I messed up.

here is what you have, with corrections.

So what was all that about the outside brim needing to be all one piece 28 inches long and cut of the lining material?  Did I completely misunderstand?  And I say that in all honesty.  That's what I thought I read over and over again.  You wouldn't believe how confused I am.  Lets see if I can repeat it back to you the way my brain works.

LID - cut one main fabric, one of lining fabric, and one of batting (the batting to be cut the actual size of the lid while the others are cut large enough to turn under.)

LID BRIM - cut 1 of main fabric 28" long, and 6 of the lining fabric and no batting.

OUTSIDE SIDES - cut 6 main fabric

INSIDE SIDES - 6 of the lining fabric and 3 of batting (batting cut to fit the actual boards, no extra)

DOUBLE BOTTOM - one outside (larger) and one lining for the inside (smaller) piece

i hope this helps.  if it does not, please let me know and we'll keep working on this together.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
oh, and you do not need batting for the bottom.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:09:43 AM »
Ah the light shines.  The inside pieces get glued to the outside pieces so that the sides and the bottom are all two layers of card stock thick right? 

OK, next set of problems with this silly thing.  I found the following measurements buried deep in the instructions.

GUSSETS – 6 of the main fabric (cut on the fold)

ELASTIC CASING – 3 of the main fabric 7” x 2”

ELASTIC – 6 pieces of 9” of elastic

POCKETS – 3 of the main fabric 7” x 4”

Now if the pockets and casings are only 7 inches long why would I need 9 inches of elastic for each one?  Is she doubling it for added strength?

And how in the world is she sewing these pieces together? I am completely stumped on that one.  the Gussets no problem sandwich them between the two layers of cardboard and there you are but the lid -- getting the brim attached to the top has got me.   Now admittedly the main fabric is going to go on after the stitching after it is sewn but ... I'll wait on that one until I have the rest of the fabric pattern pieces made.  I don't believe I'm going to try and do this with others this evening.  I think I've set myself up to fail big time. 

Your help is tremendous.  You have helped me get on the right side of all of these pattern pieces.  I never would have gotten this far without you.   

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
tammy, you are getting it.  and, while she does not say to double the elastic, i would.  like you said, for strength.  keep asking what you don't get, i'll keep helping all i can.  i really want to see you get this done, and i want to do one at a later date, so i am helping both of us!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »
Thank you.  You are wonderful to help me with this.  Tonight noone showed that was interested in doing the box which might actually be a good thing.  It gives me another week to work on it.  I did unexpectedly pick up an order for two pairs of leg warmers and 2 matching scarves for christmas presents.  That was a nice benefit from the craft night.  I finished the leg warmers I was working on and I've now started a toliet roll cover.  I don't have exactly the right colors but I hate having left over yarn so I'm using what I have.  I hardly ever do a pattern exactly as written anyway.  I guess I always have to do it alittle different so I feel that it is mine.  Crazy huh?  I suppose it's time for more pictures.  Maybe tomorrow.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:05:10 AM »
I was reading farther into the Etui thread and she goes on to explain that the 9 inches of elastic she makes like a rubberband stitching the two ends together and then placing it around the inner side.  That makes more sense as to why the pieces were 9 inches long.  It certainly will make it easier to pull the elastic through the casing.  I won't have to worry about the end getting away from me lol.  Elastic is a slippery little devil.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal