Gardening > In The Kitchen

Dill Pickle Recipe

(1/4) > >>

Patty S:
                            Ann's Garlic Dills

Wash 17- 20# pickling cukes & brine overnight
        (Brine: 3/4 Cup non-iodized salt per gallon of water)

Empty brine water & rinse cukes.

Pack in clean jars, along with:
Dill heads
Dill seed
Garlic Cloves
Mustard Seed
Pickling spices
(I don't use pickling spices myself, & I put 2 - 4 garlic cloves in each jar, & ¼ tsp each, of the dill & mustard seeds.)

Heat to boiling:                     
6 Cup white vinegar          
½ Cup non-iodized salt
¼ Cup Sugar
9 Cups Water

Prepare lids by simmering in enough water to cover them, until needed.

As quickly as possible:
Pour boiling mixture into packed jar, covering cukes & leaving ¼ -½" head space.
Wipe off jar rim to remove any liquid or spices
Place lid on & tighten jar ring
Invert jar for a few minutes (I don't know why... I just do it.)

DO NOT re-tighten ring during cooling.

Plan on approximately 1# cukes per jar

---------------------------------------------------------

Occasionally, there's a jar that doesn't seal.  I refrigerate them for a couple weeks before eating them, so the spices can set in.  (The kids don't care... they'll eat them anyway, but they aren't as "dilly".)

Note: After not putting up pickles for a few years, I didn't understand why I wound up with a couple really salty batches... Turns out that I had filled the brine bucket with cukes first, then (because it was a 5 gallon bucket) I dumped 3 & 3/4 Cups of salt in, & filled the bucket to the top with water!

Soooo..... Either figure out how much water will be in the bucket after the cukes are in it, or mix the brine by the gallon, to fill the bucket! 

MassMama:
This sounds like a good recipe Patty...I don't care for the pickling spice either.. Leaves a funky flavor
But beings that I have a Million blooms on my cucs I am going to make some pickles!! I will give this recipe a try... :ThumbUp:

Patty S:
I think it's the allspice that's included in the pickling spices that give it the funky taste... besides, that stuff is waaaayy overpriced!

Good luck with your pickles this year, Rita.  I have yet to have a batch from this recipe that weren't firm & crisp!
(Even the salty ones had a good texture!)

MassMama:
 :clap: Ohhh It sounds just perfect!! One Question... were they too salty cause you didn't dissolve the salt before adding it?? I just want my first experiance to be Perfect!!  :ThumbUp:

Patty S:
While salt will dissolve in water until it reaches its saturation point, it dissolves faster in warm water. (I use warm water...not hot.)

The problem with my batches of pickles being too salty wasn't a matter of the salt not dissolving, but that the 5 gallon bucket would hold
   EITHER 5 gallons of cukes,
    OR 5 gallons of water,
     OR 5 gallons of cukes and some water! 

If I would have started with 5 gallons of water with the required amount of salt, a lot of the water would have spilled out of the bucket as I added the cukes... but the ratio of salt to water would have remained constant.

(But I didn't do that!) :rolleyes1:

By putting the cukes in first, the 3 & 3/4 Cups of salt that I added was waaayy too much for the amount of water that the bucket would actually hold, since the cukes were already in it!

That's why the brine should be mixed separately, to fill the bucket with! (Depending on the size of the pickles, which would determine how much water is displaced, a 5-gallon bucket full of cukes will hold from 2-3 gallons of water.)

Oh... Maybe I should mention that since the cukes will try to float, I put a dinner plate on top of them & use a couple canning jars full of water to weigh the plate down. (And, I have gotten sidetracked & my cukes sat in the brine for 2 nights before, but it didn't really hurt anything that I noticed. If you wait too long though, the pickles wont be as crisp.)

I've used this recipe for 30-some years, & the only batches I ever "ruined" were because of that salt thing... so, you should do fine with your first "pickle experience".  Give me a holler if you have any more questions
...and don't forget the only dumb ones will be the ones you don't ask!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version