Author Topic: Bibliophile  (Read 5615 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Bibliophile
« on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
One of the things I wanted to do once I got settled here was begin building my library again.  This is like the third time.  But this time I'm doing it right.  At least i hope I am.  So far I have about 302 books.  I've got all of them listed in a catalog.  I've got over 1/3 of them graded and priced for insurance purposes. and maybe 1/10th of them have descriptions of their contents in the catalog.  It means I have a ways to go but it's a process.  And as long as anything that comes in gets done right away at least I won't get farther behind. 

So do you have a private library of books you keep?  How do you house it?  And how do you keep track of what's in it? 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Bibliophile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
I have a bunch of books. Not what I would call a library. And I am culling that. Not stored or cataloged because I'm the only one who loves books like I do. So I am getting pickier about what I buy/keep.  But I do admire those with the determination to keep a proper library.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I do not keep a library. I have some books from my childhood. Some are on the shelves. Some are in boxes stored. But I have only found a few worth storing and keeping as an adult. The library is good for picking up old favorites and new reading material. And they keep better care of theirs than I do of mine.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2011, 11:23:22 PM »
I do not keep a library. I have some books from my childhood. Some are on the shelves. Some are in boxes stored. But I have only found a few worth storing and keeping as an adult. The library is good for picking up old favorites and new reading material. And they keep better care of theirs than I do of mine.
that is mostly my thought. And, I don't have to dust or protect their books when I am finished reading them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:57:14 AM »
Unfortunately library books get torn up and discarded.  Most of the books I check out from my local library are in awful condition.  If that weren't so I might not have a library as large as the one I'll probably end up with.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2011, 06:37:39 AM »
We have a bookcase in both spare bedrooms and three in the study. They are crammed full of books, double stacked. I love books... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
One of the things I loved about this mobile home was the built-in bookshelf, even though I knew it wasn't enough at least it was a start. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
I usually end up loaning out or giving away books once I've read them.  I've got may 100 books shelved here and there around the house but some are Bibles or dictionaries, or Bible commentaries.  I'd say less than 1/2 are actual books meant to be read from cover to cover to get the idea of one plot.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
I'm pretty sure fiction will out strip non-fiction but so far non-fiction is in the lead.  I'm not sure how that happened.  We'll blame it on the discard table at the library for now lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2011, 08:22:21 AM »
Well I've priced over 120 of my 306 books so far and the fair market value is approximately 1,500 dollars.  I'm glad I didn't have to pay that much for them or I wouldn't have them.  The non-fiction is still out striping the fiction but the fiction is gaining.  6 of my recent purchases have been fiction while only 3 have been non-fiction. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »
Over 194 books valued and I'm almost at the 2,000.00 mark.  I have some nice ones for a reading library.  Now as far as a collection goes it doesn't rate but I don't care.  I really enjoy my books.  Lets see after the last buying spree I have 317 books total plus one I am going to send to dad.  It was hard not to keep it but there it is.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »
Well with the last purchase I am now at 325 books that cost me 459 dollars and that are valued at 2050 as far as I have gotten.  I probably have another 125 to grade and price for insurance purposes. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
You are moving right along.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
Thanks it's a labor of love.  Everytime I value another one and put it in the catalog I go over the description and get excited about it all over again.  Weird I know.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
No, collections should affect you like that. Or they are not good for much.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »
no tammy, i don't think it is weird at all.  i'm just glad you have that to bring you joy!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26, 2011, 11:28:39 PM »
It really does do that.  Some times I feel alittle weird about it so it's nice to know I don't sound like a total wacko. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »
I finally into the science fiction.  Pretty much the last section.  Somehow I snuck over 400 books but I'm enjoying it.

The household inventory file got corrupted and I'm having to rebuild it.  Fortunately I had an old one so it's only the last few months of purchases I have to add.  But it taught me one thing.  I'm breaking down the large databases into pieces that it won't kill me to redo if necessary. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
that's a good point tammy.  i've done that for that very reason.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
Computers are good but when there is an oops it's a big one.  Or at least that's been my experience so far. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2011, 11:32:13 PM »
Computers are good but when there is an oops it's a big one.  Or at least that's been my experience so far. 
mine too.  in work and home.  when they crash, they are down for the count!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
yeah, I don't know how many documents I've lost due to upgraded computer systems or crashes.  That's the nice thing about paper.  I have it until it crumbles into dust or I move which ever comes first.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal