Author Topic: Memorial Garden For My Mother  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
Memorial Garden For My Mother
« on: Jun 13, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »
A lot of you are aware that I have been planning on designing a garden in memory of my mother. The arbor will be a part of it. I, also, have an angel birdbath/fountain that will go in the area I will be working on.

My mother's name is Helen, so I bought a "Helen Hayes" rose. It is her favorite color, also. Much to my surprise, it is blooming in the pot that I have put it in for safekeepiing until the time I can get it planted in the garden...

The blooms aren't looking really pretty right now because of all the rain, but I think they will be. I am banking on roses not being easy to kill. The garden is in full sun, so I am still researching plants that will deal with that.

I will be adding more pics as I get the plants and the Angel figurines that I want in it...
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2007, 06:57:28 AM by Dianna »
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Memorial Garden For My Mother
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
Roses love full sun so no problem there.  They are also one of the plants that really likes epsome salts so you might want to remember that when digging the hole to plant it.  Plan on really amending the soil because our clay is not their favorite territory. 

The only flower my mom and I ever had in common was the American Beauty Rose.  That and some baby's breath would be the complete planting with statues of every kind of rural animal you can think of.  Pigeons, Squirrels, Cats, Dogs, Fish...

But I love the idea of what you are doing.  And considering how well you did the pond area I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Are you going to try for a 4 seasons area?  I love the idea of a garden that will be interesting all year long. 

Offline Patty S

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
I've heard about people applying Epsom Salts around their rose bushes regularly, but what exactly does it do for them?

It sounds like you're going to have some planning help with that memorial garden, Dianna! :applause:  Duh has some great ideas! :ThumbUp:

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2007, 06:18:13 PM »
What is with the salt? I have heard that people put it around their asparagas plants.

Bonnie
This is me ->?

MassMama

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2007, 06:01:34 AM »
Epson salt (not a true salt) has Magnesium and a few other essential minerals that flowers thrive on...

I just found this online
" Epsom salt delivers a immediate shot-in-the arm of magnesium to the plants and boost growth when applied as a foliar spray. Mix 2 tablespoons of Epson Salt in an average size spray bottle...shake it vigorously and apply to plant every 2 weeks with a thorough soaking. My favorite fertilizer is Fish Emulsion. I like it because it is a great all-around fertilizer and 100% organic. An alternative if Organic isn't important to you is Miracle-gro or it's equivalent.
Use your choice of fertilizer every other week on alternate weeks from the Epson Salt spray. Therefore, your Chile plants are getting fed weekly......."
I put a few tablespoons with my roses every 3 weeks or so..

Dianna that sounds nice Love the color of the rose too.. I remember now we were trying to find flowers that had the name Helen in them :ThumbUp:
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2007, 06:07:17 AM by Rita »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »
by duh:
And considering how well you did the pond area I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Are you going to try for a 4 seasons area?  I love the idea of a garden that will be interesting all year long. 

Duh, the pond area is my Uncle Johnny's memorial garden. I had been working on re-doing that area, when I fell and hurt my foot. It upsets me because I can't get out there to do what I would like to now that I have it re-worked in my mind. :crying: I want to finish Uncle Johnny's area, before I start on Momma's...

Thanks for the tip on the epsom salts for the roses. As for a 4 seasons area, I haven't really thought about that. That is a great :idea: ! Have you any suggestions for me? I will have statuary in the garden consisting of  :angel2: . She collected angel dolls. I have a birdbath fountain with angels on it, too...

by Rita:
I remember now we were trying to find flowers that had the name Helen in them

I am still looking for "Helen" plants. I have thought about using some heleniums. I, also, am looking for yellow plants, since that is her favorite color. I am sure that I will be using different colors, though, to accent with...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

MassMama

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
 :Crybaby2: I searched several different flower libraries today and only found the one Helen Flower... I was sooo dissapointed.... I was thinking it would be such a neat thing though if we could donate different flowers or seeds to help you create a BEAUTIFUL garden for your Mom... ;D ????

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »
Awwww, Rita, that is so sweet of you.  :-*

I am still trying to wrap my mind around how I want this garden to look when I get through with it. I had a program on the old computer that I could use to design it online and try it out to see what it looked like. I can't remember where the site was now, though, so I guess I will put it on paper and use my imagination to fill in the blanks... :Wacko:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2007, 03:44:04 PM »
Home and Garden has one of those programs.  I'm not very good at using them but they are cool if you can figure it out. 

Before suggesting the plants a few questions of course lol.  Me and my questions.  Full sun, Part Shade, Dappled Shade, Full shade?  Are you going to do an enclosed garden or one that is open like the pond garden?  How big?  will it include a a tree?

I'll have to look up the zone but I love witch hazel and they have it in a yellow color some dwarf varieties that only stand 3 to 6 feet tall.  If I had a garden I would have this in it.  I love it for winter color.   

Of course my idea of a memorial garden is enclosed and that isn't true of everyone.  I'm kind of a loner.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »

here are a could of other helen named plants.

Erica x darleyensis 'Mary Helen' Heath
Stachys byz. 'Helen von Stein' Lamb's-ears

If you have a plant that will provide protection and shade for a peony I'll go dig through there list too.  There are hundreds of named species of peonies there have to be a few helen's in there somewhere.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »
I am thinking about putting a short wall in to enclose it. Maybe three or four bricks high. I was thinking that that might would help keep grass seed out of it while mowing next to it, if we have the discharge side going the opposite way. I think it would define the area better, too.

This garden will be in full sun. If it gets any shade at all, it will be next to the house and not very far out. I do have a Crape Myrtle already planted in the area. I am not sure if I would like to move it or not. I have an olive tree that I would like to place in it because I nick-named my mother Olive Oyle, after Popeye's girlfriend. I am hoping that the plant has not died in the pot I planted it in when I got it earlier in the Spring. It does not look like it in the best of health, but the directions said they are shipped in a dormant state, so I am wondering if it ever "woke" up or if I was sent a dud to start with.

I have tried the Home and Garden landscaping program, but liked the other one I had better. I may go back to HG, though, and use it since I can't remember where the other is. I guess I need to work with what I have, huh?

Thank you, Duh! I haven't spotted those while cruising for Helen plants. Now I will google to see what they look like!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2007, 05:43:01 AM »
I know it's a lot of work but you can temporarily plant things that you are going to use in the garden in a temporary bed until their permanent home is ready.  It's healthier for the plants that way. 

The lamb's ear is all about the feel but it is very invasive an really isn't that pretty of a plant once it gets going.  Would take a lot of work to keep it in check.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2007, 11:22:58 AM »
by Duh:
I know it's a lot of work but you can temporarily plant things that you are going to use in the garden in a temporary bed until their permanent home is ready.

That is a great idea, Duh!  :ThumbUp: I have a couple of spots that I could put all of them in without any trouble at all...

I was researching my olive tree and found out that it is considered a four season interest plant!  :Glee: Looks like your suggestion will come to fruition in Momma's garden area.

I like lamb's ear. I have come really close to buying it a time or two, but didn't know where I would plant it. I do want it to stay pretty at all times, though, so guess I will be working at it. I like the heath plant, also. Thanks for helping me find the Helen plants... :-*

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »
Your very welcome anything I can do to help.  I'm glad the olive tree is four season.  I love gardens where it is possible to have interesting things happen all the time.  For the lambs ear I would suggest two things.  One dead head and the other is to put it in a bottomless pot when you plant it.  That is take a tall plastic pot remove the bottom and plant the lamb's ear inside of that buried in the ground.  It can help keep the plant in check.  Either that or use a root barrier around it's area.  The plant will go bald in the middle as it grows and I don't have any ideas about how to fix that.  There is a different cultivator that is more upright but it doesn't have the helen name.

Here are two peonies cultivators that are called Helen.  Since you will have dappled shade underneath the olive tree when it gets big you can then add these plants.  They take as much as 8 years to bloom and need to chill during the winter so warm years you won't get a bloom but they are so pretty they are worth all the trouble.  And once planted they are easy care and pretty well disease resistant and last for as long as 125 years.

The first is called the Helen Mathews  http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/photopage.cgi
The second is called the Helene Martin http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/photopage.cgi

The first is much prettier than the second in my opinon but that may be because I love red lol. 
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 09:00:03 AM by duh »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »
Here are some hibiscus cultivators named helen. 

Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Champion'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Commander'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Egger'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Fletcher'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Foster'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Hurt'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Johnson'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Prill'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Saunders'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Walker'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Watts'
Tropical Hibiscus 'Helen Wood'

And here is a Clematis 'Helen Cropper'

and a couple of Dalia's 'Helen Richmond'
Decorative Dahlia 'Helen's Little Boy'

And here are some daylilies

Daylily 'Helen Abell'
Daylily 'Helen Babb'
Daylily 'Helen Baker'
Daylily 'Helen Boehm'
Daylily 'Helen Childs Boyden'
Daylily 'Helen Connelly'
Daylily 'Helen Demopoulus'
Daylily 'Helen Griffith Jordan'
well let me just say there are a lot of them.  You can find the list for daylilies and pretty much most other common garden plants here.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/finder/cultivars.php?sname=Daylilies&choice=H&offset=400

If you need help let me know. 

Remember that you will want to do a raised bed around the olive tree with edging around the trunk to keep dirt away from it.  I like about 8" or taller edging for this raised bed.  Otherwise the tree and the plants will be competing for the same water and nutrients. 

I don't want to overrun your plans, I know that memorials are more about the planning and maintaining than any other type of garden that I can think of. 

I hope it brings you comfort and peace all the days of your life.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2007, 09:42:25 AM »
:Wow: Duh, you have really been on the ball, haven't you? Thank you so much. I have tried finding "Helen" plants and only came up with a few. You found the mother lode! :-* I am so excited!  :Glee: Now if I only can decide which ones I will want to use, I will be in business...

I will be googling and making my choices after I get the garden started. I will be sure to let you know what I decided on and will post pics as soon as I start on it!

Thank you, once again, Duh, for all the suggestions and the tips on how I will be better able to maintain it once my plans come to fruition...

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2007, 09:44:11 AM by Dianna »

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:07:42 AM »
You are very very welcome.  I can't wait to hear what all interests you for the garden.  I keep seing something that looks like a roman ruin with tumbled white "faux marble" pillers toppled over and all that with the statuary strategically placed lol.  And the center birdbath framed by all the plants.  I'd have narrowed down the choices some if I could have remembered what zone you were in but I couldn't.  I also didn't know what your water sources were like.  Around here drought tolerant is the word of the day. 

Hope you are having a great day.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
Duh, I am in zone 8. We were having drought conditions up until last week. I don't know the status of that right now. But, there is a water faucet right in the area that I am planning the garden!  ;)

It won't be anything as elaborate as a Roman ruin, I am afraid. I don't have the $$$$ or the ability to get that fancy!  :laughmao: Jim bought me a landscaping program a couple of years ago. I am hoping to figure out how to use it (finally) and maybe that will help me out some. I would love to post a picture of how I would like the finished project to look like and then post after it is accomplished!

I am having a great day, Duh, and hope you are, too!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal