Author Topic: Knitting Projects  (Read 15685 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Knitting Projects
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Well I made something flat on the circular needles.  Isn't that just like me?  Anyway I've made a very simple fingerless glove and now I'm started on the second one.  I like the ease of making them.   Sorry I forgot to snap a picture.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: Mar 19, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »
Here are a picture of t he gloves

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: Mar 19, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
Those are nice tammy. I wish I liked to knit.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:39:29 AM »
I know what you mean.  It isn't my favorite craft, although I do like it more than quilting.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »
I've been slowly making my way through the knitting dictionary with 400 stitches in it.  I had to have Harriet show me how to do the moss stitch.  It wasn't working because normally I twist my knitted stitches.  Doing it the correct way so the pattern comes out correctly is a pain in the pa-tu-ty.  But if I want the results I have to follow the directions.  It's the stitch that the jacket is made of that i love.  Of course when I'm going to have the money for that one is beyond me.  We are not talking pennies here but 70 dollars.  Of course once made it will last me for years so it's well worth the expense if I can ever gather it up in the first place. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Mar 25, 2012, 08:59:34 AM »
I forgot I just completed a basket weave pot holder front in the crochet.  Now I just have to find the pennies for gas and that heat retardant fabric and I can complete it.  I have the batting. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Sep 10, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
I've started the batwing smocked sweater.  I'm trying to figure out how to hand knit it.  The directions are for machine knitting.  And of course I'm altering it as I go.  I never leave anything alone.  It's weird looking at the moment but I'm hoping it will improve. 

Is it a new thing that they don't have the 4 inch swatch stitch and row indicators anymore on the yard?  That through me for a loop.  I'm used to seeing those so I can make an educated guess as to how much yarn i need for a project.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Sep 23, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
Well it looks like I bought enough yarn which is god.  The sweater is comming along.  I've got most of the front done.  I another 5 inches and I should start shaping the neck hole.  I plan on a crew neck on this one.  So finish front then do back then put together and do neck and cuffs.  Hum, sounds like I should have started this several months earlier than I did.  But I'm still happy with the progress.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #58 on: Sep 23, 2012, 10:10:53 PM »
Sounds good, Tammy.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Sep 28, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
Thanks Tina.  It's going so slow because I'm weaving a second color of yarn through the first in an inverted triangle.  It takes forever compared to just doing the stockenette stitch.  It will be awhile before I do something like that again.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #60 on: Sep 30, 2012, 08:43:09 PM »
you are doing great tammy.  i won't even knit a scarf, even though i can.  i just don't like doing it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Oct 06, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
This is all about filling the gaps in my closet.  I have almost no long sleeve sweaters and there is always the chance that it will get cold during January and Febuary.  And crochet sweaters usually require an undershirt because of the size of the holes in crocheted sweaters.

I plan on doing this one and a black one with a cowl styled neckline.  Then it's back to working on window quilts.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #62 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
i love cowled necklines.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Oct 07, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
I like them too.  Of the sweaters I have on my list I have a shawl collar, the cowl nect, a mandrin collar and the crewneck that I am currently working on.  Would you believe on Ravelry they had a 12 sweaters in 2012 competition?  There is no way I could do that many in a year unless I were crocheting them. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: Oct 07, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »
i am not sure i could crochet that many!  but i would only do the cowl and the shawl necks.  maybe the crew, if it were loose enough.  mandarin and mock turtle drive me nuts.  i feel like i am choking.  but you do inspire me... maybe i'll try again with a crochet sweater....

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Oct 08, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
The mandarin I usually want a long thin v-neck with an alligator pin close so I can adjust the tightness.  And yes I like the loose crew necks as well.  Usually around 21 inches or a little more.  I don't like the mock turtlenecks either.  I used to like the ruffled scoop necks but I've got skin tags now and the skin is getting wrinkley and that kills it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: Oct 26, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
Crochet sweaters are nice as cardigans or ones with undershirts.  But I don't like the holes in the crochet.  I suppose if I wanted a really bulky one I could do one with the afgan stitch but then you have to do it in sections and deal with the roll.  That's such a pain. 

I finished the shoulder on one side of the front piece and am working on the second shoulder.  I'll be glad to finish the front so I can start on the back.  That's all one color so much easier to do.  After that it's just the cuffs and the neckline and I'm done.  I'm looking forward to that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #67 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »
Well I finished the front and I'm well into the back portion.  I had to stop to make Jeffry a pair of fingerless gloves.  I'm eyeballing this one so I hope it fits.  I got one finished yesterday except I couldn't figure out how to do the individual fingers.  I wanted to make them up to the first knuckle but it was beyond me.  I'll have to find a pattern for mittens and see how that juxtuposition works.

That's it for knitting for the moment.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #68 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
I should have used a pattern.  It came out to short and the arms are to long.  So that took care of that.  Crochet is so much easier because I can measure as I go along.  Awe well, I have something to keep me busy through the winter I guess.  This rather makes me glad that the camera is acting up.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: Nov 29, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Tammy, couldn't you pick up the bottom and add on?  I don't know how to say it, but I guess like you would tunisian crochet.  use a crochet hook to pull the yarn through and cast onto your knitting needles, and then just knit down instead of up?  that is what i'd do, and then if anyway said anything about the "line" at the waist/hips/wherever it falls, i'd say it was in the pattern :wink5:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:44:21 AM »
unfortunately the waist is ribknit and the body of the sweater is stockenette stitch.  And since it is batwing pulling out the top which is the length of both arms and my bodice would be very time consuming especially since I never learned to put a safety row in my knitting.  That's such a good idea.  I really have to learn to do that. 

But it's ok.  I make my first "finger" in my fingerless glove.  What a pain those three knitting needles are.  And guess what my DPN's are a smaller size so of course the thumb that I did was very tight.  Now that will have to be pulled out and I'll have to figure out how to deal with that.  Always something.  I think this year people will get the "wrist warmers" and next year they will get the fingerless gloves.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
sounds like a plan to me tammy :good2:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »
Thanks Jenn.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #73 on: Dec 02, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
Right now I started the black cowl neck sweater.  I'll need more yarn to finish as usual I didn't buy enough first time around.  If I would follow patterns this would be so much easier.  But it would also cost more than it would to buy the silly things in the store.  That is if I could find the style I like.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: Dec 02, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
...But it would also cost more than it would to buy the silly things in the store.  That is if I could find the style I like.
that's my problem, finding what i like.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal