Author Topic: 2012 Garden Plans  (Read 5006 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
2012 Garden Plans
« on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:58:56 AM »
I've been looking over my 10 year plan.  For the most part things are pretty well set except for all the things that didn't work.

The peacock orchids, peruvian daffodils, and naked ladies don't produce blooms even when they were lifted last year.  So other than greenery they really don't have a purpose in the garden.  I think I'll move them next to the house so they can provide a green backdrop so the gladiolus planted in front of them will turn their faces to the sun rather than the white siding on the house.  We'll see how that goes.  The iris are multiplying like rabbits.  Next fall I'll be digging them up and separating them.  I must say I expect that will all of them I see comming up they should fill the foundation beds next year.

The chocolate mint really had a nice strong scent this year so I would say it has naturalized very well.  I plan to spread clumps of it throughout the foundation beds. 

Other than that it's just a matter of planting the bird bath flower bed and keeping everything weeded.  And making some softwood cuttings of the sage since it's best years are now behind it.     

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: 2012 Garden Plans
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
Don't you just love iris.  They take a beating and keep on growing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
I do love iris.  With the damage done to my budge by the government I can't really add anything to the garden for this comming year but atleast I can maintain what I have I hope. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
Sorry about your budget but at least you'll have the iris to make you smile.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »
I got my first 2012 catalog - Burpee.

Offline Penny

• Elite Member
  • Pleasant Pixie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
Maybe you can split up some of the Iris's, and move them around Tammy?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
I definitely plan to do that next fall.  I missed my opportunity this year.  It's to late in the year to move them.  There are definitely a number of clumps that can be split appart.  Infact some of the clump are showing above the ground.  I noticed that today when I was raking the leaves.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »
I got another catalog today.  It's really making me want to plant and with the temperature being 78 it seems a plausible idea.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
well just remember how quickly it can go from 78 to 28.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
well just remember how quickly it can go from 78 to 28.
:giggle: i was thinking that tammy.  it has been weird weather, that is for sure!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
Yep.  I was being a little facetious.  My yard is blooming right now.  Hope it blooms in the spring.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
Yep.  I was being a little facetious.  My yard is blooming right now.  Hope it blooms in the spring.
  but i have had that same feeling sheri.  on days like today, you want to go putter in the garden and pretend it is spring!  i sure don't want to think about february coming...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
I like the winter.  I like the break and chance to catch up.  I actually went with the arbor day 10 tree option this year.  That means I have to clean up the wooded area enough to make room for them.  I know where the 2 golden raintrees are going.  They are going to be where my fence currently is at the front of the property.  that will place them 20 feet apart.  The redbuds, white dogwoods, crabapples and washington hawthorns are all going in the back so that when I'm on the deck I'll have a perfect view of these in bloom. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
I'm glad I posted that post because the trees just came in and I couldn't remember what the plan was.  Now I have a problem.  They came in as 3 foot rooted cuttings and it says they should be put in garden soil for the first two years before they are placed permanently.  Somewhere they are protected from the wildlife (they don't know my wildlife...nothing is safe), and somewhere I can keep them watered.  So I'm currently digging up my almost veggie garden.  So far I have 4 1/2 holes dug for the 10 trees.  I came in to take a break.  I probably won't go back out until this evening and try and dig most of the rest of them.  The trees are soaking in a bucket of water to keep them hydrated.  I'm excited and kind of worried at the same time.  I hope I place them correctly. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »
Ok, for the container garden on the deck this year here are my plans. 

1.  I have Black-eyed-Susan Vine in the center pot.  I didn't know it was a climbing vine so it's busy trying to strangle it's siblings rather than drapping as I had envisioned it.

2.  A small pot of chives for a friend once they are up and growing well. 

3.  The avacado tree.

4.  The flower box has butter crunch lettuce in it that is doing very well.   

5.  Now I want to plant Sunflower 'Teddybear' in one of the pots.  That is if it is one of the shorter varieties.

6.  Light yellow lilliput zinnia.  (I hope they come true to form.)

7.  Dwarf Ponciana  I'm hoping I can bonzia it.  I know crazy right?

8.  Bunching Onions.  I could probably do these outside.  Nothing bothers the chives.  But I'll start them on the deck and see how it goes. 

Out in the garden I'd like to find a place for the Profusion zinnia (apricot in color).  I'm tempted to see if the birdbath flowerbed will take them.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
How's the bunching going?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2012, 08:10:54 AM »
I'm thinking the seeds were to old.  I'm going to try a replant after the rains slow down.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »
my garden plan as it stands right now is to try to get a gardening time in both in the morning before it gets to hot and one in the evening when it starts to cool off for as long as that applies.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal