Author Topic: Fashion Doll Clothes  (Read 9232 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Fashion Doll Clothes
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
Well since I'm thinking of making Barbie doll clothes that aren't crocheted I thought I'd better start a new topic.

The first thing I would like to make is a kimono for barbie.  I found directions on the web for a full sized kimono but since I don't sew the directions were hard for me to understand.  So a lot of this will be by the seat of my pants lol. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Fashion Doll Clothes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »
you can do it tammy.  you do so many things that most folks just wish they could.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
Well the rolled hem line was a complete bust.  I don't know how I'm suppose to keep the material in the foot.  It certainly didn't work the way I tried it.  Some times I need to see something done before I understand it completely. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
Tammy, I hate rolled hems. I can use the hem foot, but I will have to dig mine out and play with it before I can try to give you ideas.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »
I would really appreciate that Jenn when you have to time.  I have one more that I would like to hem up but I'm going to wait because it is a really pretty snow flake fine mesh type of material.  It works great for setting up the old time santa on with a sleigh and all of that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
Well I've printed out the How to make a geisha kimono directions.  I'm still scared to try and make it even in barbie dimensions lol.  I'm such a chicken.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
barbie dimensions would frighten me more than full size.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »
it's an easy conversion 6:1 ratio So every foot is 2 inches.  I seem to work better in miniature.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
I'm never going to have a kimono if I don't do the work am I?  Well since I've got the smooth coat on the wall I guess I can now spend some time on my hobbies right?  Like say, the rest of the day.  I'm so lazy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
Well the six basic pieces are cut and ironed.  This material frays when you just look at it.  Who knew?  I've got to find that spray stuff that's suppose to help with fraying.  I can't even remember what it is called.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
It's called "Fray Check", Tammy. I bought mine at Walmarts... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
Thanks Dianna.  I think I have some around here somewhere.  Now that I know what it is called maybe I can find it.  I'm such a mess.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
Well I didn't find it so I did my first overcast stitch.  It worked out pretty well.  I've done all for panels and they haven't fallen apart on my lol.  I'm not much of a sewer so this is all knew to me.  I've decided to do this first one unlined to see how it goes. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Ok I've got the back panels together with the opening for the next.  cutting the lapel on the front pieces should be fun.  I hope my math is up to it.  Sorry for all the typos.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
Ok I cut the front pieces so the lapel can be sewn in.  I attached the front to the back at the shoulder and ironed those seams flat.  Then I overcast one of the sleeve pieces and have sewn that sleeve to the body of the kimono.  I've decided on a slight alteration to the pattern.  I want the long sleeves not the short ones so I'm using a piece twice as long for the sleeve as is called for in the pattern.  I hope it works out well.  I ironed the shoulder seam to the outer edge.  I hope this works it's taking a fair amount of time. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
The second sleeve is finished.  Now for the neckline.  That should be interesting.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
it sounds as if it is coming along nicely.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
So far so good.  It's usually the finishing touches that somehow make it all fall apart.  At least that's been my experience with sewing in the past.  I'll probably work on cutting out the last pieces tomorrow.  My eyes are hurting me this evening.  

After the kimono is made then their is a obi pillow, an obi (I want to embroider that piece), a kimono jacket and tie, then the obi tie.  Fun huh?  Now who wants to make me the traditional outdoor shoes that go with it?  talk about not made for the barbie foot.  Oh well at least I can make the hair ornaments.  

I should have taken pictures of each step but I didn't think of it until it was to late.  I'll do that on future projects. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
it sounds pretty.  i will be glad to see the pictures when you are done!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
the ratio is off in the width of the work.  It isn't a true 1/6 in width.  The kimono wraps 1 1/2 times around the doll.  Grrrrrrh.  And I do not understand the gores.  guess they are there more or less like a kick pleat for a wrap around.  But how they are suppose to stay in place is beyond me.  Anyone know any japanese women who could help me out here?

I think I need to start out with something simpler lol.  I have a pattern for a pair of pants and a button up the back blouse.  Maybe I'll start there.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
All that work grrrrrrrh.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:36:53 PM »
gores are just like kick pleats.  you have the right idea, but they aren't supposed to "stay in place"  they are more fluid.  that is why they are more triangle shaped.  traditionally, gores either hide where you have added width to a garment by matching the main color, or conversely, they offer decoration without decoration, by using contrasting.  they can also be used to give shading or depth by choosing different shades of the same color for the main fabric and the gore.  i hope that helps!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
I can understand the kick pleat thing.  It's just having them on the edge they don't have a tendency to hang straight.  Maybe once I cut it down it will hold it's place better.  Or possibly in needs an underskirt to hold it in place.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
My friend came over and she is going to give the kimono to her daughter for one of her larger dolls.  That means I get to start all over.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  I know shoot me shoot me now lol. 

She did like all the clothes that I have crocheted for Barbie.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:36:02 PM »
they don't "stay in place" tammy.  they are more fluid.  half in, half out kind of thing.  unless there is an underskirt.  i've had dresses/skirts made with them both ways.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal