Author Topic: Fashion Doll Clothes  (Read 9236 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Fashion Doll Clothes
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
interesting.  I'll have to look around the internet and see if I can get a good look at the bottom of a kimono.  I don't think I've ever paid any attention.  But you would definitely need something in order to sit on the floor the way they do. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
Ok attempt number two on the kimono and this time I will take pictures as I go along.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
Here come the pictures lol.

This is the dedicated craft room and that is my barbie.  I know a cheap model that I got at the dollar store but it does the job. 

The offwhite material is for the kimono and the gold lame is for the obi.  If I can pull it off I'll bead the obi.  It depends on if the material will take it.  I want to put a heavy stabilizer in the obi but I'm afraid the seam will show through.  Well when I get to that part I'll figure out something.

Here is where I'll plan the Kimono.  I have other barbie patterns so that I have an accurate Ideal of size this time.  Also I have the directions for making a full sized kimono there to refer to.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »
Very nice, Tammy... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »
Nice job Tammy!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Well at least I have a dedicated work place.  Now to see if I can figure out the pieces that go into the kimono.  I did find out one thing.  I had the gore and the collar all messed up.  As Jenn mentioned I believe, the collar has to be much longer.  The gore also has to be much taller than it was in my initial attempt.  Hopefully I'll remember that when I get to the planning.  I've spent most of the day looking at kimonos on the internet.  Lovely they are but my eyes are tired.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
that is really looking good tammy.  i like your creativity.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
Well the pattern pieces are drawn.  Cross your fingers that I fixed all the problems from the first try without creating any new problems in the process.

Here are the pattern pieces that I have made.  The collar didn't make it into the picture but that's ok I think.

Now to the front piece I only made one difference and that is to take the 1/8" seam allowance and increase it to 1/2".  That should take care of the width problem that I had the first time around in the body of the kimono.  The same thing holds true for the back panels.  I did figure out that the reason it is done in two pieces is so that easing the collar into place isn't completely impossible.  Now on the sleeve I added a piece so that the seam between the shoulder and the sleeve would leave about a 1/4" so the sleeve doesn't pucker where the side seam mets the shoulder seam.  I've got my fingers crossed on this one.  The gore was the other piece that took alot of thinking.  From all of the kimonos I looked at it appeared that the gore should match the seam between the collar and the front pieces.  So that's what I did.  I brought it up to the point where the collar would leave the front piece.  And I made sure the angle on the top of the gore matched the angle of the lapel.  I've definitely got my fingers crossed on this one.  As far as the collar goes I made it into two pieces several inches longer than the first one and twice as wide.  The reason for splitting it in two is so that fabrics with a one way pattern will have both of the sides facing up.  The reason that I increased the width of the collar is so that it would more closely match the ratio of the kimonos I looked at on the internet.  So now it's on to the next step.

For me that will be to make the pattern pieces on tracing paper so that I can pin them onto the material.  I'm not sure I'll do it today.  But I am making progress.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
tammy you have done a good job thinking this out and putting it in action.  i can't wait to see how it comes out for you!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:33:34 PM »
Hopefully better than last time.  I really had to put the thought into it this is the last of the fabric I want to use for the Kimono.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
I'll start back on this thread as soon as I get some fine felt tip pens again.  They are the only thing that marks the vellum well. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
I mentioned the last outfit I made for the barbie in the crochet thread.  Nothing is happening with the kimono.  I think I scared myself off after the last fiasco and I can't get motivated now.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
I cut the pattern pieces out and layed them out on the material.  I don't have enough material for the project with the stain and the mistakes I made the first time around.  Of course that's no problem.  I am not be able to do a kimono with that material but I have other material that will make up into a fun kimono. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
Ok here in the new fabric I'm going to use for the kimono.  Of course as soon as I got it home I ran into a problem.  To do the sleeves the way I want to I'll have to cut 4 rather than two so the pattern matches from sleeve to body of the kimono.  There is always another problem when it comes to me doing something isn't there?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »
The metalic didn't come through particularily well on the picture.  But you get the idea I think. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
It looks like it will be lovely.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
it looks like beautiful fabric tammy. and very appropriate

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm going to go iron the center fold so it is exactly center.  It can't be off any amount or the kimono won't look good.  Wish me luck. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
I have faith in you tammy.  i bet you got it right the first time.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
I made the alternative sleeve for when I'm working with a fabric that has a one way pattern.  I layed it all out and cut for of the new sleeve with the space for the shoulder seam that the other sleeve didn't need.  Then cut out all the pieces.  It's sad that the part that i wanted was across the middle so that I really have nothing left of the fabric but scraps.  But here are the pieces all put in their appropriate place.  I think it's looking good although the picture is out of focus.

The sleeves are on the wrong side in the picture.  I have reversed them now.  I have to say i'm getting excited.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
This looks pretty!
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
that's beautiful tammy!  i think you are doing a great job!

Offline Bonnie

• Angel With Horns!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »
Your Barbies's will be the talk of the town, good job.
This is me ->?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
Thanks all, now lets hope it goes together well. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »
Well today was not the day to sew.  I put the collar together and didn't get wrong sides together and had to take it out and do it again.  But now it is sewn and folded and ready to be topstitched to the body when the time comes.

I managed to get the back pieces together.

Then I tried to put the should seam in but sewed the front to the back bottom.  At least it was another short seem to have to rip out. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal