Author Topic: Who's crocheting what part 2  (Read 15516 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Who's crocheting what part 2
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »
No.  I still have a vendor for the pattern who will take her own pictures.  I am considering the expense of a tech editor since my testers are having so much problems with the turning shell stitch.  I know it's an odd stitch but I don't remember having this much trouble with it when I learned it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
I've begun sketching out the stained glass cardigan.  Now I just have to figure out where to place them on the front panels.  I think I'll make a topic over and beginner designers and see what they think. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #77 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »
Who or what is a tester?  Sorry if I've asked this before.  I've thought about asking it before.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #78 on: Jan 26, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
duh, I found where you already answered this but at this point I can't delete this.  Sorry.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
decided on the pattern placement.  I'm going to put in low on the right side as I'm looking at it and high on the left side with the stems of some flowers flowing from one side to the other through the center plaquette(?) I think that's the word I want.  The part where the buttons go.  That is going to be black like between windows.  The picture will continue from one pane to the other. 

So that's where I am on that one.  Now for the Neckwarmer, testers are having problems with my written directions and I'm thinking a chart of the stitch maybe the answer.  Jeffry has all those fancy cad programs so I'm going to talk to him about doing one for me.  Depending on what it would cost of course. 

The sweater continues to be in the works.  I'm down to the last 48 rows of the 2nd sleeve so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Last night I decided to do a test for a different designer.  It only took a couple of hours so nothing like the amount of time my project takes to do but I thought I should give back.  I don't know if it actually works that way on the site but it seems like a good idea.  I don't want to be selfish and just take, take, take. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #80 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
I had an "ah ha" moment.  How I have the chart for the Turning Shell stitch.  I just have to take it to the library on Wednesday and get it converted to a file.  I need to call them and ask them what kinds of files there scanner converts to.  Don't want one that won't insert into a word document.  Anyway I'm excited by the progress.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »
Is it as confusing for you as it is for me working on three things at once?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
finally worked.  That's what I found when I googled stained glass sweater.  It looks like church windows to me.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Pretty... :)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: Jan 30, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
I'm going to take a guess that the sweater is a transfer pattern.   That doesn't mean it isn't beautiful because it is.  It just isn't the same as something that is made with different colors of yarn.  If you look at the inside where the neckline is you will see that it is all white.  That happens when I pattern is stamped on the outside of the fabric rather than being woven in, knit, or crocheted. 

You have definitely found something along the lines of what I plan to attempt in crochet, or knit depending on which technique works best. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: Jan 31, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »
tammy, you explained that very well.  sheri, if you want to understand better what tammy is talking about, look up the term entrelac crochet.  that isn't really it either, but, how the pattern will be displayed on the front, and with the threads hidden in back, will be similar.  and tammy, you might want to consider that for the parts you were thinking of knit for.  just a thought.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
I'm not that knowledgeable about knitting.  I've never really done any color work in knitting before which is part of what has me prefering the crochet where I am more comfortable. 

I'll look into it.  It may mean I'll have to put off the stained glass sweater for awhile. 

Which would be fine since I just got a great idea for a unisex reversible crocheted sweater vest.  Woohoo.  That would be easy for me to do and once I get the chart scanned into the computer in the right type of file I could use if for this too.  How cool right?  Two birds one stone?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
That does sound cool.  Love reversible.

If you crochet a sweater similar to the one I posted it will be gorgeous!  Time intensive but a work of art.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
Mine won't be that segmented.  The black would take over. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
Came up with an answer to the yarn problem with the stained glass sweater design.  I'll use two strands of yarn moving from one color to the next by switching out the yarns as necessary for the look I want.  Way cool.  Love it when a plan comes together.

Ok I may need valium to work with testers lol.  It's a very detailed area of creating the pattern.  I have one tester that I dearly love.  She questions everything and makes fantastic suggestions as to ways to improve my writting.  We have made some major changes to the pattern and I'm definitely going to have to make it again.  I think it is a major improvement over the one that I have already made.  So that is very exciting.  And it taught me the worth of good testers and in future tech editors. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
Can you work with the tester of your choice?

That does sound like a good plan - using 2 strands.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
Yes you can work with the testers of your choice sort of - There is a list of people who have not done a good job in the past and you can by pass them up to a point.  But you aren't suppose to hold spots for your favorite testers. 

I think the 2 strands will work.  Of course until I do a swatch I can't be sure.  There is going to be a lot of swatching for that particular pattern. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #93 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
I hope you have the patience for it.  I am not a patient person and I think that's one of the reasons I can't sew or do crafty things.  It's just not in my nature.  My mother always says all we have is time so don't freak out about taking the time to do something but when I start a project it drives me crazy until it's completed.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
That's true of most people when they are young.  They are focused on the result rather than the process.  With time and practice a person changes that or they never accomplish a great deal and are never very satisfied.  Because as soon as you've finished the project it's over and there is an immediate need to move on. 

For me I enjoy the activity.  I only get antsy when a project is taking much longer than I expected.  Like the sweater I am currently working on.  The designing is for me at this point a learning experience that I am sharing with others and I find that very satisfying.  Working with others and having to communicate effectively is a challenge for me.  But, I'm going slow, checking things over several times before I send them off.  And making sure I am open minded when I get negative feedback.  It's helping me grow as a person and I appreciate the opportunity and those who are working for me.     

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #95 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
I'm not young but that's true of me.  I am definitely result focused and it drives me crazy and I drive everyone around me crazy about it.

I'm glad you're enjoying designing the sweater.  Can't wait to see it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
I'm going to have to redo the neck warmer.  We came up with an even better alternative that put the same color of yarn on each end so that it looks like a border.  I'm loving it.  Glad I bought a bunch of black and cream. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #97 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
sounds like a good idea. but not the redo part.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
Well if you going to design rather than do someone elses redos are a part of it.  I don't mind so much I just don't want to burn out or get so much on my plate that I can't manage it all. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #99 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
tammy, nearly everything i do is my own design. i will look at a pattern, then decide how i want to change it.  about the only thing i do from a standard pattern is a granny square and even that gets changed up now and again.  lately i've been working dish cloths, the one zoe and i did on thursday i finished off, it was a 5 point granny with a scalloped edge.  no pattern, just my own design as i went.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal