Author Topic: Quilting Projects  (Read 17758 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Quilting Projects
« on: Feb 07, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
The local fabric shop is hosting a class to make three dimensional hydranga wall hanging quit.  I've signed up to go.  Today, since the sewing wasn't going well, and I know it can take me forever to choose fabrics, I went and got the fabrics and paid for the class.  How to spend 40 dollars quickly.  But it's done and when I came home I gathered up the rest of the supplies and equipment and got it put in the car.  How to spend 4 hours without noticing. 

Any other quilt projects in the ofting?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Quilting Projects
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
The local fabric shop is hosting a class to make three dimensional hydranga wall hanging quit.  I've signed up to go.  Today, since the sewing wasn't going well, and I know it can take me forever to choose fabrics, I went and got the fabrics and paid for the class.  How to spend 40 dollars quickly.  But it's done and when I came home I gathered up the rest of the supplies and equipment and got it put in the car.  How to spend 4 hours without noticing. 

Any other quilt projects in the ofting?
  funny you ask that... i've been told to start quilting... but i'm not quite there yet.  i'll let you know!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
My suggestion is to start small and not buy all the equipment until your sure it's something you want to pursue.  But that's just because it really isn't my thing.  Little ones fine big ones not so much.  They are just to unweldy for me.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Killer Quilting.  I arrive an hour early so that I could bring in my gear and find out if I could use my muslin.  Found out I could and got to work.  I left at 4 o'clock for a total of 4 1/2 hours total.  My back is on fire.  So far I've got most of the front pieced.  I don't even want to read the directions to finish this one at this time.  Does that tell you how much I'm hurting?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
ouch!  but i'm glad you were able to use what you had, and that you got so much done!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:45:45 AM »
I am too.  I have a thought in the back of my mind that I can piece a top and bottom to the wall hanging and end up with a curtain for the bedroom.  Something nice and heavy with the batting that still matches my colors and theme in the bedroom.  I'll keep at it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

This is the wall hanging I am working on.  It is at the stage where I'm suppose to stitch around the leaves and then quilt the background.  After that I stuff the blue blob and then add the 3d hydranga flowers to it. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
That is going to be so pretty, Tammy... :good2:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
thanks Dianna.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »
i love those colors.  you are doing a great job!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »
I wish I could figure out how to take a picture that wasn't blurry. 

I tried to keep to the colors that I have in the bedroom.  The blues are alittle deeper than I probably should have choosen. 

I did one of those people pleasing things.  Carol was kind enough to help me and I didn't want to continue to tell her no so I went slightly more into the blues than I would have.  Then of course there was a woman at the class that did a selection of greens and blacks and it was fabulous.  I never put colors together that well. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
i am thinking that you might do well to do what i do.  prop the camera on the back of a chair.  it is usually close to the right height and distance.  that's how i get mine up, usually.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
I'll try that.  Thanks for the tip.  Last night I fused the blues together for the florets and cut out 16 of them.  8 of them I got ironed and folded so they are ready to place.  The other 8 i'm going to do this morning.  Then I have to finish the kimono so that I can start practicing with the walking foot.  I have no idea how that one works.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:15:10 AM »
Ok I finished the second 8 and it just was not enough.  So I cut out another 16 and this morning I'll iron and fold them.  I suppose I should see if there are any directions on the internet about using the walking foot. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
I looked on the internet.  There was plenty of information on the walking foot.  I'm feeling a little better about trying this now.  Maybe today will be the day.  Anything is possible.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
i hope it goes well. i am waiting to see what you come up with.  i need to put my sewing machine in the shop, it needs servicing...

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »
Don't mention that.  The car window on the passenger side won't roll up now.  I went through this for over a year with the drivers side and I so don't want to have to go through it again with the passenger side.  

I had a very busy day today so I didn't get to it.  But I should have lots of time tomorrow so maybe then. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
Well I got up this morning and got to work practicing machine quilting with the walking foot.  I did ok.  I also tried finishing a potholder using the binding technique.  That is not for me.  Not only do I hate the finicky mitre corners but, it's like I have to finish the silly thing twice.  Once the machine stitch around the front and then the blind stitch around the back.  Much easier to use the envelope technique and just blind stitch one edge. 

I'm so glad I figured that out before I began quilting on the wall hanging.  I also found out that the lower the number on my sewing machine the looser the tension.  That's something I needed to know.  So with that and a load of laundry in the wash I feel like it has been a good morning so far. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
I am glad you figured out what works for you Tammy, before you got caught up in the wall hanging.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2012, 03:39:12 PM »
Me too.  Saves mumbling a lot of naughty words. 

So I got the quilt top off of the batting.  Repinned the leaves and started top stitching the applique.  And the bobbin thread started busting.  This is a problem I have because I don't sew often.  My thread rots.  So I have to keep trying different ones until I find one that isn't rotten and that matches what I'm doing.  What a pain.  I just love quilting.

What I did do was figure out what quilting pattern I'm going to use for the background.  I'm going for a trellis pattern.  since it is a "garden" scene that fits and will be easy to do.  At least I hope it will be easy to do.  I'm going to use the paint tape technique.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
good luck and keep us posted!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
Well I had to rework the pins for hand sewing the applique.  it takes a fair number of pins for this technique.  But I'm cool with that. 

I'm thinking the 32 flowers are not going to be enough.  I may well need another 16 but I'll wait until I get the "blob" stuffed and then see how they look on it.  I know what's a blob right?  I'll tell you when I get to that part.  Stay tuned lol.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
i am eagerly waiting for you to get through this project tammy.  i am enjoying reading about it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
Well I may do alittle of the hand sewing today but nothing other than that.  Today is a do nothing day.  Which is to bad because I had all kinds of stuff planned but I don't feel like going up against my horoscope.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
Note to self.  When working with little pieces use spray adhesive to hold it down prior to sewing.  The leaf points are comming off when I try to sew them down.  Not good for the design. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal