Author Topic: Quilting Projects  (Read 17759 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Quilting Projects
« Reply #50 on: Sep 29, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »
Well it's kind of a dark spot but I'll do what I can. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:08:03 AM »
I've been practicing free motion quilting but it's been going slowly.  I'm not good at this kind of futzing.  I need a goal.  And it came to me just the other day.  I can use my practice sample to make bookmarks and then I can learn how to bind the edges too.  I've never done a binding edge and it doesn't make sense to me so I didn't want to attempt it on something big.

So now I have outlines for several butterflies on tracing paper I just have to figure out how to make them into quilting templates.  Few overlaps and not having to pick up the needle and move it alot for different parts of the pattern.

At this rate I should manage to do the window quilt within a decade.  Lord i am slow.

Carol is such a friend.  I was in her store the other day to pick up a pencil that draws on fabric and then can be ironed away.  And she had a beginning quilter in there with her.  The beginner asked me if I quilted and I couldn't think of an answer.  Carol saved me and told her I was but that I specialized in wallhangings.  It's so nice to have people that will rescue me when I haven't a clue what to say. 

Oh have I told you about the next planned quilt?  It is a window quilt for the bedroom.  It will be a central panel of a column of butterflies.  Some parts of the butterflies will be hand embrodiered.  Around the central panel will be 10" x 10" blocks with different floral patterns in the blue green color scheme.  And around that will be a 2 1/2" border again in a shade of blue/green or possibly brown. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #52 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
that sounds really pretty
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
Thank you, have you ever noticed that most of sewing isn't sewing?  It's either getting everything ready to sew or dealing with the consequence of sewing.  Now add to that a bobbin that likes to break thread and you have a really frustrating experience. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #54 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
Yes, much of anything is in the prep. Whether sewing, cooking, crafting. And then there is cleaning up your spaces between one type of project and another. 
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:20:21 AM »
Clean up?  Nah, just move out to the livingroom, lol.  At least that is what it appears to have happened around here.  There is yarn all over the livingroom.  I was just loading up the stuff I wanted to take to the craft club and everything l left behind became a number one mess in there.  I guess I do need to do some cleaning up.  Oh, bother.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: Nov 16, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
tammy, "oh bother" reminds me of the peanuts (i think that is who it is) :)

i feel your pain on that.  i am contemplating where i can set up my sewing machine and leave it.  i am wanting very badly to do some sewing, including some utilitarian machine quilting (pot holders, etc). 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #57 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
Oh Bother reminds me of Winnie the Pooh.
I would love to set up my machine in  a permanent place.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
:idea: that's it!  i knew it was a cartoon, i just couldn't remember which one!!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #59 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
Well I'm not going to crow about having a permanent place for my machine, because belonging to a quilting club I have to pack it up twice a month to take it into town.  Talk about a pain in the back.  And now I have to wait until January to get enough money to take it to the sewing machine place and find out what is wrong with the bottom tention.  The bobbin thread keeps breaking. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #60 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »
ick.  good luck on that tammy.  that would irritate me.  it does irritate me when my machine acts like that.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #61 on: Nov 22, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
It's probably my own fault.  My oil can broke and I haven't gotten around to replacing it so I haven't been oiling the machine regularly.  But, thanks for the empathy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
I took the picture, I really did.  But then I uploaded it to photobucket and they've changed the website.  Who knows how long it will take me to figure out how to get it over here.  What a mess.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »

And there it is finished hung on the wall and used as an auxillary jewelery box.  Sorry the picture isn't better.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #64 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »
That is really lovely, Tammy!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #65 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Thankyou, an out of focus picture makes it look much better than in person, lol.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #66 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Pretty... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #67 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Very Nice!
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
Thank you, an out of focus picture makes it look much better than in person, lol.
i bet it is just lovely in person.  we all see our "mistakes" faster than those who are looking at it.  besides, if anyone looks that close, do you want them looking?  i really like it!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #69 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Thank you.  I think it is really cool that when the sun shines through the rust velvet drape it make the hydranga love purple with pink tints just like a real one.  It's way cool.  But that's a picture I can't get because when the light is off and the drape is closed it's too dark to get a picture.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Nov 29, 2012, 09:08:31 AM »
I sure make a lot of spelling mistakes sorry all.

I've lost track of my practice quilting piece.  Doesn't that figure? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #71 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
**********T H E   N E W   W I N D O W   Q U I L T**********

I found it!  It's a 30 x 30 Stained Glass Butterfly applique pattern!  A group of quilters are going to start on it in March.  I can't buy the pattern until May but that's fine.  It just means everyone will be able to help me when I get to the difficult parts lol.  Anyway I'm very excited about the pattern and look forward to getting it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #72 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
I can't remember how to link.  But here is the webpage with the quilt on it.  http://www.threeswans.com/item_view.php?PRODUCT_ID=62

I plan to enlarge the purple frame by 2 1/2 inches in width and length making the pattern a total of 34 inches in both directions.  This is for the window with the airconditioner in it.  That's why it's so short. 

The purple I want to use a blue fabric for I've choosen it, it is a blue chrysanthum pattern dark on each side and fading to a pale tint in the middle.  I'm in love with the fabric so being able to use it for this is fantastic and it will work in the bedroom. 
the greens and yellows will remain the same as in the picture.  The reds I'll replace with the paler blue or if I can find one a blue/green blend and I may try for a brown for the body.  That light violet I'll want to replace with something but nothing comes to mind at this point. 

THE NEXT STEP

Buying freezer paper tomorrow so I can start tracing the pattern.   

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
that is beautiful tammy.  i'm very happy you found that.  now, i'm going to say, it would drive me nuts to try to make it, but when you finish it, you will have a true work of art.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #74 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:50:24 AM »
I'm going to be using the double sided adhesive fusing rather than the bias tape method which should make it much easier.  I will probably end up zig zagging the edges just because I don't trust the fusing completely. 

It may still make me a basket case by the time I'm done but then that's the sacrifice we make for art right? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal