Author Topic: Quilting Projects  (Read 17757 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Quilting Projects
« Reply #75 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
It's beautiful and you know I like blue too.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #76 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »
i would also use the zigzag over the fusing.  and i would use the fusing instead of the bias tape for the same reason.  looking at all those cuts, it has to be beautiful but anything that rounded... good luck!
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm much happier using the black backing in a negative technique then try the bias tape.  I've also got the spray adhesive and fray all to keep the edges nice and neat.  Or at least that is my hope. 

I can't work on it today because the floor lamp is curing on the craft table.  I didn't want to mess up the dinningroom table. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Mar 08, 2013, 07:10:35 AM »
I had to take the floor lamp in to be fixed.  The glue didn't hold.  We didn't think it would because we didn't have anyway to push it together.  The guy in town is going to build a sleeve to put the tube in and then weld it all together.  It won't look great but it will be sturdy which is the way I need it. 

Well last night I got all the pieces coded.  They don't come with numbers on them because evidently the other techniques of quilting it don't require them.  So that took up all my quilt club time.  Now I need the light box to do the tracing because it has to be done from the wrong side.  Again because of the fusing technique I'm using.  It seems like I'm doing a lot of work for little reward at this point.  Hopefully this will get better soon.  I don't intend to rush this project but I want to get to the point where I can work at home. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Mar 09, 2013, 02:20:41 PM »
Well I found out today that I coded my stuff differently from what others have done.  they used one letter for each quarter of the pattern.  I coded mine by color.  We will see how it works.  I used the light table today and managed to trace one quarter of the quilt before my back gave out.  If I can't do the same wednesday, next saturday and wednesday next I'll have it traced by the time of the next quilt club.  So that's all good.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »
sounds like you are on a roll tammy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: Mar 10, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
i'm trying.  Sometimes if a project goes to slow it get sidelined and I don't want that to happen to this project.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #82 on: Mar 10, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
Keep in mind that I know nothing......so are you putting this pattern onto your material using the light box?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »
sheri, i think she is using the light box to trace the pattern onto the freezer paper so she can cut out patterns.  that's what i'd do.  except my light box is not big enough.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #84 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure this out.  Hear my brain squeaking?  So it's traced onto freezer paper which is then cut out and then pinned to the material??

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #85 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:48:35 PM »
And she needs to flip the pattern.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »
With a fuseable stained glass pattern you need both the pattern pieces and the template of where the pieces so.  So it gets traced on to the freezer paper which is then carefully cut out with an exacto knife.  That leaves me with both the template and the pieces that will be used to cut out the pattern pieces.  The pattern pieces will be cut from several different materials. 

Does that help?

Jenn few lightboxes would be big enough to trace the entire pattern at one time.  With the freezer paper stuck to the pattern I can then move it over the light box as needed to trace the pattern.

I recently got the idea to use my aquarium and hood light to make a "makeshift" lightbox here at home.  I"ll just turn the aquarium on it's side and put the hood light inside on it's back.  I'm not sure if it will work but it is worth a try.  That will save me having to transport the quilt pattern back and 4th so many times. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
that is a good idea.  i might have to try it.  as for the size of light boxes, while i am sure they are very expensive, i've seen them nearly as large as a drafting table (working at SCAD).  you see lots of stuff when you work at an art school.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Mar 12, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
Ok, smarty - lol- you got me on that one.

I've got a 4 ft shop light that I'd like to figure out how to box so that it could be turned into a ligh box but I'm not terribly good at these kinds of things. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
if you can get a piece of translucent plastic window liner, or sky light top. something like that like you'd find at lowes.  if you can get someone to build a box for it, and put the lid on it out of that stuff, you'd have instant light box.  that's how i'd do it anyway.  if i could find someone to build the box.  and i'd put the top (colored plexiglass maybe?) in a slide on/slide off so you can change the bulbs without having to deal with a hinged top.  that would also make it where you could turn the box on it's side and use it for an actual light.  just make sure there is enough vent holes in the box because if you don't, the light will heat up and warp your plastic cover.

just my thoughts.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
I have two things against the use of plastic.  One is that even if it doesn't get hot it will still flex when I rest my arm on it.  I found that out with Carols light box that her husband made.  The other reason is that plastic scratches much faster and easier than glass.  I found that out the first time I ordered plastic glass lenses rather than glass.  Of course the good side is that it is so much lighter and less likely to break or shatter. 

Your right a good handyman is a womans best friend.  To bad they all know it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:42:56 AM »
The quilt is traced, now I'm making the legend to go with it so I know what to buy and how much. 

You would think that would be easy wouldn't you?  Not so much.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
Ok, I'm through tacing half of it the second time.  So I'm making progress.  I've also decided that the metalics will go on the butterfly and the botiques will go on the structuraly part.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Mar 28, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
I should use the spell check more often I see.

Well I found the window panes that I was going to use for a little green house.  It will work equally well for a light table I think.

So now I just have to clean it up, haul in the shop light and some wood and see if I can get it all to hold together.  I know I have clamps somewhere.  I saw one the other day. 

It would be good if I could do the tracing when I'm here at home since gas prices have got me stranded here until Monday and then until wednesday when I get paid and then pretty much for the next two months.  Ugh right? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Apr 10, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
The light table works.

I've decided to use the metalic fabrics for the butterfly and batiks for the "glass" portions, and a dark blue for the outer border and cream small print for the inner border boarders.  So far I've bought the dark blue for the outer border, the blue metalic for the mid wing, the brown metalic for the body of the butterfly and I have the batting plus the cotton material for the back that the rubberized stuff will stick to.  There is a lot to this pattern. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: Apr 11, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »
you have a lot of work to do tammy but it sounds like it is moving along.  now, i have to tell a funny on myself. i am tired enough tonight that while i knew the topic was "quilting" projects, my eyes saw "quitting" projects :giggle:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
lol, that is funny.  I try to avoid the "quitting projects" it's just to easy to make them a habit.

Well I finished tracing the pattern finally.  I had to de-clutter the craftroom before I could get anything done.  And then I disassembled the light table and now I am cutting out the templates.  So for I've done one quarter of them.  I've also hung up the full sized pattern on the wall so I have a reference point.  Other than that I took a tracing of the picture of the pattern and I'm going to make a couple of copies of it.  I'm going to use these as color testers.  I'll color them in with my color pencils to make sure I'm going to get something that looks like I want.  I'm so glad I got over the hump with working on this quilt.  I hope I don't run into any more.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: Apr 18, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
Copies made. 

I should get those template transparencies and copy my pattern pieces on to that.  That way I wouldn't have to go through tracing this again.  Now if I just had a really good way to protect the template of the entire design that helps with placement. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
HINTS AND TIPS for this pattern and patterns like it using the quick fuse applique technique for stained glass patterns.

1.  When coding this pattern I think using a letter for each color is the better option.  But don't do what I did.  I used color identifiers like LB, LG, BG, see the problem.  Working with a small bunch of pieces after awhile they are hard to distinquish one from the other.  So use one letter designators that do not look like one another.  For example if I use A i wouldn't use H.  Hope that makes sense. 

The reasons are these.  One I find that I have to look carefully or I get them confused.  Two I won't always be doing the pattern in the same colors.  I may do one with the same patterns but on the warm side of the color wheel rather than the cool side.  So instead of the greens and blues I would be using the yellows and reds. 

Now the numbers I just started with the number 1 and went until I ran out of pattern pieces.  They are there to distinquish one pattern piece from another and for no other reason.  Just like any other sewing pattern. 

2.  About having to trace on the back side of the pattern.  This is not necessary with the butterfly since it does not have a distinction between the right and left sides.  They are simular enough that I could have traced it from the front. 

If you are tracing from the back I suggest that you code the back of the commercial pattern rather than the front.  The reason being that the letters will be backwards if they are written on the front which makes them hard to read. 

3.  When working with an exact-o knife make sure that the hand holding the paper in place is always behind the knife not infront of it where a slip could cause a slice. 

Why the tracing paper and all the work?  You don't have to.  If you want to cut the commercial pattern instead that is fine.  It's just going to be very hard to keep that template in good condition for future use. Because it is very delicate once it is cut out.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #99 on: Apr 22, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
HINTS AND TIPS:

4.  I am going to cut out all of the pattern pieces and then fit them together on a piece of freezer paper so that I know how much of each color to buy.  I've already made a couple of mistakes using the "FABRIC REQUIRED" list that came with the pattern.  This is not their fault.  It has to do with the metalic 3 color fabrics I choose and the fact that I am changing where one fabric is on the pattern to two different fabrics. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal