Author Topic: Decorating the Home Office, Pitfalls thereof  (Read 4259 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Decorating the Home Office, Pitfalls thereof
« on: Mar 08, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
Have I told you the saga of the home office?  Well my smallest bedroom is my home office.  When I bought my chosin ancient world map done in gold and black that solified the color scheme in the room. 

I then decided that the old military surplus world war two executive desk needed to be upgraded.  I bought hi-gloss black paint for the desk, gold paint for the handles, two knobs for the missing ones on the pull out tables on each side. and those moving disks because the desk weighs a ton at least. 

I started to pull out the drawers thinking I would paint them first but the weather turned bad so I put the stuff back in the drawers and decided to wait on that.  Then I thought I would prep the handles for painting.  Sanding them down is like talking to a wall.  The imperfections just don't seem to go away. 

Then I thought I would install the knobs.  5 minute job right?  Nope major problem.  First off I'm not installing them in a draw.  It's a solid piece of wood so the bolt that came with the knob won't work.  So I got dowl screws.  Then the dowl screws wouldn't go in the knobs because they were the wrong thread size.  Mr. Roundtree was kind enough to rethread them. 

Then they were to long on each end but I couldn't get them back out of the wood because the knob would unscrew rather than the wood screw shank unscrewing.  So I needed something to get the screw out of the wood.  After talking to my friends who are good at these kinds of things I found out I needed a vise-grip.  So I bought one.  Leaving the store and driving down the road I realized I didn't know how to work them. 

Fortunately the next stop I was making was a meeting where I asked one of the guys to show me how to work them.  I came home and wa-la the screw is out of the hole and when I go back into town it will get shortened.

Hopefully after that I'll have the first part of the refurbishing of the desk done. 

Don't ask what I'll do to the computer table after that.  The idea of even painting it is just scary. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Decorating the Home Office, Pitfalls thereof
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
But you are learning new things and you are on your way to getting it done.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
Well I got back from town with my fixed screws.  Hopefully this will fix the problem.  I'd like to have one step done on this project even if it is a very small one.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
Your not going to believe this I don't believe this.  I got back I got the one knob in.  Now I can't find the second knob.  Someone shoot me please?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
tammy, that is so something i would do.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  I tore the house apart looking for it.  Then I talked to Sharon and she didn't remember me buying a second knob.  So maybe that's what happened.  I wouldn't put that against me either. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »
Here are some pictures.  They aren't very good even steading my arms on the back of the chair didn't work today.  But it will give you a fuzzy idea lol.

These are three plaques that are actually molded plastic but they look fantastic hanging between the closet doors.  Or at least I think they do.

This is the desk from H***.  It's probably a good thing it is blurry at this point.  It is falling apart but I have hope.

I'll work on getting a better picture of this one.  This is the miniature shoji screen and it deserves a much better photograph. 

This is the item that started it all.  I love these chosin maps. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »
I don't know which I like better, the map or the screen.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Me either Jennifer.  I like the doors too.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
I'll have to take the shoji screen down and get a better picture.  If you could see it clearly I think it would be the winner.  Although the shine on the map makes it pretty nice.  I was really shaking the day I took those.  I hope to get better pictures at some point.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:42:43 AM »
Today I decided to paint over the green and burgandy design that is one the wallboard that was under two of the mirrors in the bathroom.  Imagine my suprise when I opened the primer and it had turned to semi-solid glop.  Thank goodness I found the turpintine.  Now I just have to buy more disposable brushes so I can get it on the wall and then go over it with the paint.  I will manage to finish this project before I die, I think. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2012, 11:12:03 PM »
you will tammy.  you are making way more progress than i am.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Jenn.  Cause it seems like I only manage dead slow on this project.  It's funny I've painted a number of rooms and it's never taken me more than a day.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal