Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 6  (Read 18710 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Book Review Corner Vol. 6
« on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:23:39 PM »
A new volume...woopie!

I can really prove that I'm not the brightest bulb in the box from time to time.

I've been over on ravelry a lot lately.  And I just finished one project and wanted to move on to the next one I wanted to do.  Well I'm not having any luck reading the patterns that I like.  So I keep looking for new patterns on the site that I will have better luck understanding.  Well I went backwards.  First I couldn't find the pattern anywhere.  Then after getting help with that the pattern cost way to much because it is in a book and I don't like any of the other patterns in the book.  So here I am whining and a person posts why don't you request it from your library.  Great idea right?  Now, why didn't I think of that?

So I went to the library site online and ordered it.  Easy Piesy.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 6
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
the library doesn't have anywhere inside my system or out that book.  It is one that they evidently can't buy.  Needless to say I didn't understand the explanation I got.  No real suprise there.  I don't understand much about libraries that isn't me going in getting a book and checking it out and then bringing it back.  After that it's all greek. 

The last policy they put into place is that I can only have 3 books on order that are ILL's.  So today I put 3 orders in.  They are the first 3 books in the retrieval artist series.  I've got my fingers crossed that I will like them.  They are by an author that I have read in another series.  This is going to cost me 3 bucks so I hope it is worth it.  (just kidding).

With it comming into gardening season I don't expect that anyone else is reading much.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
My library can't get books like they used too and for a lot of the books I want to read they only have 1 copy which always seems to be checked out.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
Yeah this ILL program is going to be better for the libraries not necessarially the patrons. 

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
Not sure what an ILL program is.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »
Not sure what an ILL program is.
inter-library loan.  some libraries are part of a bigger system (gallileo is one of them) that makes it where you can order books from other libraries in the district/state/region, or maybe from a school/university system.  we have 2 in this areal.  gallileo and pines.  my library uses gallileo and another library i use once in a while (next county over) uses pines.  and most state universities have some kind of policy where you can borrow a book from another state university campus in the same state.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »
Ah, thank you. I have lived it but didn't have a name for it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:44:23 AM »
Finished Jupiter, saw Harriet so I went to the Book Club.  They welcomed me back wasn't that nice?  I hadn't read the book but I enjoyed the meeting because it seemed like they enjoyed the book.  At the end we talked about other things we had read and I told them about my experience with Jupiter by Ben Bova.  I'm hoping someone else reads it and explains it to me. 

I've started on the rest of the Honor Harrington series.  I'm several books behind (yipee) they are a light fun sci-fi read.  About the only "War" sci-fi that I will read willingly.  I also have an Anne Perry that I don't think I have read and the final John Dunning "Bookman" Book  So I have a lot of reading to do.  Which I don't mind at all.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2012, 08:07:59 PM »
"The Book Thief" why do i do this to myself?  I know why I want to belong to groups and have fun with them.  It's just that I don't fit.  And this book is a primary example.  I'm on page 20 and I feel like I'm being tortured.  Of course I read the prolog which didn't help at all. 

Why if they wanted to read a book written from Death's point of view didn't the read, "On a Pale Horse" now that was a good book.  Part of the immortal series written by Piers Anthony and much superior to this one. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
Maybe next time you'll like the book.  Happens to me once in a while with my club too.  Plus you may get a totally different perspective when people start discussing it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2012, 09:01:46 AM »
This has been going on for more than a year.  They have yet to discuss a book worth the time to read it in my opinion. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
i have discovered a new sub-genre of books that i am really liking.  it is mystery books that have either a ghost, spirit, or angel "helping" the main character, or the main character helping them. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »
I've read some of those.  In both cases the series petered out rather quickly.  I hope you have better success.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
there are 2 series we've talked about that lasted a while.  aunt dimity and augusta goodnight.  but you are right, so far they have been short.  i keep hoping though.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2012, 07:36:46 AM »
yep those are the two I have read. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
duh, from where do the suggestions for books come?  We come up with our own list.  We all put in our suggestions so at least I know I'll enjoy one of the books.  We have people of all ages and different countries in our group and I like hearing the different perspectives on the same story.  My favorite is true stories, biographies, and autobios. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:00:07 AM »
they are off of a list on goodreads as long as our library system has enough books to go around. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey and it is pretty good!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »
they are off of a list on goodreads as long as our library system has enough books to go around. 

I'm on Goodreads too.

I feel  your pain though.  This month we're reading The Paris Wife.  I read maybe 60 pages and returned it to the library today.  I could NOT get into it.  All the reviews are great.  It is after all about Ernest Hemingway but it was so slow and boring to me I couldn't force myself to finish it.  I think I'll read Proverbs again for my month.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
I had to look up Bossypants. It sounds like a weekly reader book from a fifth grader. It actually looks pretty good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »
Yeppers that reminds me of my next chore.  I wondered if we couldn't choose one book for each gendre.  Now I have to come up with the gendres for her.  I'm off to do it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2012, 08:37:15 AM »
I love payday.  I've swapped 4 books off of the paperbackswap website.  Now I have two credits to play with.  Now I only have 14 books left of my to be bought list.  Of course that doesn't include my wishlist with 36 books on it lol.  Alittle bit each month makes it so exciting.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Is this the site you use, Tammy? Sounds like a win-win situation for the avid reader. I am going to check it out... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
That's the one Dianna.  This month I ordered the last of the Starbridge Series by A. C. Crispin.  Loved those when I read them the first time and look forward to reading them again. 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
Have you tried half.com Tammy? Jim gets a lot of our books from there. :grinnnn: Seems like they are competitive in the prices...
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal