Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 6  (Read 18651 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 6
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »
i just finished "the 13th target" by mark de castrique.  i've read most of his other books, on e-books from the library, this is the first hard copy i've read.  i sat down with it and ended up reading it cover to cover.  very gripping story.  i like that it was mostly family friendly too.  wouldn't be rated worse than pg 13 if it were a movie.  but the plot was interesting and entirely too close to real life.  it is a mystery if you want to read it.  i've liked all his other work too, if you decide you want to look at them.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
I may look into it.  Thanks for the review.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #77 on: Dec 15, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
i thought about it after i wrote the review (much later) and it does have a "conspiracy" type theme to it, but it is set in the here and now and i did enjoy it very much.

i started water for elephants because it has gotten such good reviews and i turned it back in.  i just couldn't get past the second chapter.  i don't do slow starts well.

right now i am working on patricia sprinkle's "thoroughly southern" series.  mysteries, but fun and funny.  i read 4 of them as e books and got the rest from the library as real books.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #78 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Water for Elephants gets really good Jennifer.  I listened to it on tape going to Ginger's so maybe that made a difference but everyone in my book club liked it.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
i might try it again later.  it is available all the time on e-books from my library, so it is just a matter of being between "good" reading.  or in a different frame of mind.

one author of mysteries that i really enjoyed reading was c.j.box.  but my frame of mind shifted and i've decided that i am not going finish his series.  i will at a later date, just not right now.  right now, i want light, airy, and fun.

has anyone read any of mitch albom's books? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #80 on: Dec 17, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
The names not familar, what does he write?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #81 on: Dec 17, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »
I've read Tuesdays with Morrie  by Mitch and liked it.  My club read Five People You Meet in Heaven but I can't remember it so it must not have made an impression.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Five people was not as good as Tuesdays.  I think the other one is "One More Day" but I am not sure. I will look. I think I liked it better than Five People.

CJ Box writes mysteries, about a forest ranger in I think Wyoming.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #83 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
I will not recommend Slaughterhouse-five and it's nothing I will ever read again.  It's supposed to be a great anti-war book but I'm telling you if I hadn't known that going in I would have thought it was ramblings from the mind of a schizophrenic.  It was difficult for me to tell what time warp I was in.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #84 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:53:05 PM »
i'm sorry you didn't like it.  that is why i don't join a book club.  i've decided life is too short to read things i don't enjoy. (except the news,  and i do as little of that as i can.)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:32:19 AM »
I'm with you Jenn absolutely.  If I were Methusela life would still be to short. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
I'm the opposite.  I don't enjoy reading stuff I don't like but I like hearing what others think about  it.  Sometimes it makes me think I've read the wrong book.  Oral History is one.  We read it for our book club and a friend and I just hated it, could barely get through it.    During the discussion at the club we looked at each other in amazement because a few of the others had gotten things from that book that neither of us had seen.  Made us both want to read it again.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:58:21 AM »
Yes I've had that feeling at the book club I attended but when I went back to the book it was still the lousy book that I read the first time.  So that doesn't work for me.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #88 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »
hahahaha

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #89 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
A few of the people said that while they didn't enjoy reading Slaughterhouse Five it made them think.  After hearing their thoughts I wish I had thought about it a little more.

Our next book is Too Far From the Falls; a Memoir.  So far so good.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:44:08 AM »
I "I.L.L.'ed" a book about kimonos down through the years.  Taking this one back to the library is going to be hard.  I want to keep it the photography is gorgeous and so are most of the kimonos. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
At least you can check it out again sometime duh.

I finished Too Far From the Falls and it was great.  Can't wait to discuss it.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
That's great.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As far as checking out the kimono book again probably not.  ILL's cost money because they come from libraries not in our local area.  But I did put it on my wishlist at paperbackswap.com.  I doubt it will every come up for swap but if I have a windfall maybe I can get a used copy at amazon.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:57:26 AM »
I checked out, "The Knitter's Book of Yarn," by Clara Parkes.  Great reference book.  I plan to put it on my wish list too. 

I'm reading "The Surgeon," by Tess Gerritsen.  It's her first in the Rizzoli Ingles series and I'm hating it.  I can't wait to get farther along in the series because I know that "Last To Die," the last book in the series was very good. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
tammy, i didn't like the surgeon either.  the books in that series are either very good or very bad.  i haven't found much in between.  and i've read nearly all of them now.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #95 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
I just finished a book written by an NC author using Asheville and Sylva for the location.  My sister lives in both places.  It was pretty good.  A Land More Kind than Home by Wiley Cash.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Jenn you'll have to tell me which ones were good and which ones weren't so I don't get way into one and have to finish even if it is deadly. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »
sheri, speaking of books set in north carolina, have you read the series that are set there, the main character is judge deborah knott?  mostly it is in the middle of the state, in the hill country, but she travels all over as she is a circuit court judge that fills in where she is needed.  it is a very good series, easy to read, and thought provoking.  i'm drawing a blank on the name of the author right now, but the first book in the series is "bootlegger's daughter".

tammy, i've read them out of sequence, but i'll go back and look when i'm at work on monday and see what i can figure out for you.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:49:53 PM »
The author's name is Margaret Maron for "The Bootlegger's Daughter". Just a googling here... :wink5:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
I haven't Jenn but I'll look into those.  Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal