Author Topic: Garden 2012  (Read 4325 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Garden 2012
« on: May 12, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
We've got it all planted.  2 of the cukes have already come up and given up the ghost (we'll have a ghost hunt for them at a later date).  I'm going to replant them.  This morning I hoed up a bunch of grass that was showing it's ugly head.  Wish it would show it's head in a few places in the yard.  I'm going to make some soap spray and spray the squash plants in case the squash bugs show up. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Garden 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »
Jim, if the above post needs to be in Gardner's Chat feel free to move it.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
He moved it, Sheri! :wink5:

How many plants did you plant of the squash? Jim started with three hills and I had him add three more so we could share... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
We planted 6 of squash too.  I hope I can fight off the squash bugs this year.  I read online that I need dish "soap" not "detergent" or "liquid" to murder the bugs.  So far I haven't found dish "soap"

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »
If you can keep a light coating of diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the plants, that may help too.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »
We have never had a problem with squash bugs. If we did, I would use dish soap and DE (diatomaceous earth). I got some DE from a yard sale last week. I am hoping it will kill some fire ants that want to nest up under our trees...:)
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
Do I get DE at Lowe's?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
Johnny was out looking at the wet garden tonight and he said all the rain and brought more rocks to the surface.  This place has more rocks! 

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
Do I get DE at Lowe's?

You should be able to Sheri.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
In my effort to murder the squash bugs I burnt a few squash leaves.  I started to pull the affected plants up but I left them but planted a few more, just in case.  I sprayed everything with Neem Oil instead of the insecticidal soap and put diatomaceous earth around them and the cucumber plants too.  We're already getting cucumbers and today we got 1 squash.  We have lots of green tomatoes on the vine.

Will the diatomaceous earth really kill fire ants?

Maybe the rain will drown them.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »
Diatomaceous earth will kill most insects. But they also know to avoid it. So it may just kill the ones crawling through it. Not the flying or hopping types. I also think it works best dry so needs reapplying after rains or watering. It is not too kind to puppy feet or human skin either. So use judiciously.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »
I got some DE from a yard sale last week.

It is not too kind to puppy feet or human skin either.

I didn't know that, Tina. And my neighbor and I bought the stuff thinking it would be safe for our furbabies because it was organic... ::)

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
It is just very drying, Dianna. If Angel walks through it, rinse her feet off. And wear gloves when handling. It washes away easily. It won't kill or harm outright, other than that.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
I did get a little up my nose and my throat felt weird for a few days.  It didn't seem to bother Stormi who works with me in the garden whether I like it or not.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
Well our vege garden posts were sort of pitiful this year weren't they.

Personally I don't think DE is worth the time or money.  It certainly didn't keep the squash bugs out of the garden no matter how many times I put it out there and it doesn't seem to bother red ants either.  

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 09:09:23 PM by bestofour »

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
Well our vege garden posts were sort of pitiful this year weren't they.

Our gardens were a "bust" this year... :razberry:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal