Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 18788 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #75 on: Jun 30, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »
I'm hoping so too.  But I got to get out there and water and the outside spigot is leaking so I have to use the inside one.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Well it may not be spring on the calendar but it's spring at the hooper house.  How do I know, I just planted roses. 

I got two Climbing Red Fountain everblooming climbing roses that can grow as tall as 14 feet, two Climbing White American Beauty everblooming climbing roses.  And then I just had to get 4 minature yellow roses.  So now they are all planted.   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #77 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
My garden is tilled and I'm set to put out a few seeds but the wind won't allow it.  I did put out a few strawberry plants the other day.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:15:01 AM »
That's a good start.  March sure can be windy.  I hope you get a nice calm day for planting. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
Today I treated and fertilized 10 rose plants.  Wow that is one heck of a lot of roses and I still have two inside the house that I haven't planted outside yet.  That makes a dozen doesn't it?  Wow

I also began phase one of cleaning up the shed.  How did it get so messy when I didn't do any gardening last year?

Well I'm glad I got a start anyway.  And I'm grateful they all survived so far.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #80 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:52:36 PM »
I've got a row of carrots planted and the pea trellis up.  That's it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #81 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »
That is great, Sheri.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #82 on: Mar 22, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
We're back in freezing temperatures.  I've got my fingers crossed that the new roses survive this.  I didn't get out there today.  After about 4 hours this morning I went to bed and stayed in it all day.  I've definitely gotten my hours messed up. 

I hope you veggies do great.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #83 on: Mar 27, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »
Today I did about 20 minutes.  I clipped all the mum dead branches from two of the clusters and put them in the compost pile.  Then I piled the leaves that had escaped the compost confines back inside it.  I still have the entire yard to rake but it is a start.  Needless to say I have a great deal to do yet.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: Mar 28, 2013, 01:16:12 PM »
Today I did 45 minutes.  I cleaned up two mums clusters so I only have one more to go.  Then I took the compost and put it around the largest mums cluster, some in the foundation bed, and then the rest in the birdbath flower bed.  Then I pulled the weeds out of the birdbath flower bed.  There were not a great many there to start with. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: Mar 29, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »
I wasn't out there very long.  But I raked up the leaves in the foundation flower bed along side the house.  maybe 28 feet?  As I was trying to rake it into the compost pile I realized it would be best if I dug out the finished compost before I added new leaves.  That's when I knew it was time to come in.  But it's progress and I'm happy with that. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #86 on: Mar 29, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
My carrots got tilled up so Colby and I replanted them today.

Jen, I can't find butter crunch lettuce seeds.  Today Colby and I went to Lowe's and ended up buying butter crunch lettuce plants and putting them out.  If I see seeds I'll get them.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: Mar 29, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
i will check my lowes to see if they have the plants.  here, they will bolt early, so when they do, i'll collect seeds :BigGrin: and share with you!  but if you find seeds before i find plants...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Mar 30, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
I'll have to look I may have some.

I found money, yeah!  So I splurged of course.  I got 4 bags of mulch for the roses and I got 1 bag of mulch for the blueberries (they really need it for the moisture retention)  I got the pine mulch for the blueberries since they like acidic and pine is acidic.  The others got the natural bark.  I don't go in for the died mulches.  Of course they are still in the car.  10 cubic feet to lug around I need a rest first.

So I took the compost that I dug up yesterday and spread it in the bird bath flower bed.  I'm still preparing it for summer and the zinnia, portulaca, and then the fall when I transplant the mums over there.  BTW compost at wal-mart here costs 2.27 per .75 cf so my own compost has saved me 4.54+ cents so far this year.

Then of course heavenly father hear me grumbling about not transplanting any more wild moss, so what did I find in the plant section?  Moss.  I bought 3 pots full and put them out in the walkway.  And weeded 2/3s of the walkway.  I figure if one can dig up moss and then put it in a blender with buttermilk to spread the spores the moss shouldn't be to unsettled if I break it up going after weeds if I smooth it back down building little berms of soft moist soil around the mounds to keep them happy.  We'll see what happens.  either it will spread or it will die. 

The I bought 8 starter kolrabis and put them in the deck planter.  So that is probably my entire 45 minutes today but this afternoon if possible I'd like to get back out there and spread the  mulch in the blueberry bed and finish weeding the sidewalk.  Then tomorrow I'll be ready to weed the sidewalk flower bed and put the mulch down there.  Or at least that is the plan for now. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #89 on: Mar 30, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Mulched and weeded 1/2 of the sidewalk bed.  Took one bag of mulch.  It isn't the big bark pieces I like it is the shredded but it will do for now. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Apr 01, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
Well I composted around 3 of the fruit trees.  The moonglo pear seems to be ok without any. 

Then I mounded some more of the compost in the birdbath flower bed. 

I got 10 gallons of compost in two of the large tires so I can plant a couple of tomatoes in them.  Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to find garden soil to add to the compost.  Who knew that would ever be a problem.

I hope to do a second stint out in the garden today and work on the sidewalk bed some more; or atleast, get the bags of mulch out of the car.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #91 on: Apr 06, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
18 sq ft weeded.  At this rate I'll get the flower beds weeded once for the entire growing season.  I hope my energy improves alot.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #92 on: Apr 06, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
I repotted by Brug tree, and sprayed weed killer in the lawn (supposedly grass safe, we'll see, though there's not much grass left)
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Apr 07, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Let me know how it works.  My lawn are just weeds that get mowed rather than pulled up. 

Ok today I put 5 gallons of compost and sulpher on the blueberry bed.  Weeded another 18 sqft (the blueberry bed).  And then mulched the bed with pine bark.  I kept it thin because I know the blueberries have shallow roots.  Two have started to green up.  One isn't looking to good but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.  For some reason I have a hard time keeping more than two bushes healthy in that bed.  Maybe I'll get out there and snap a picture or two of the bed.  It's the only thing that is starting to look good.  Well it's only the end of week one of April so I have time yet. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #94 on: Apr 07, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
A second session out in the garden.  I'm very please.  I dug up another bucket of compost and moved it over to the peony patch.  I raked the leaves away from the peonies.  Most of them are getting a very late start this year.  But that's ok so am I.  I found seven.  The gay paree never came up.  I'm so disappointed with springhill nursery it isn't funny.  But tomorrow I'll be already to scratch in the compost around the peonies and give them a nice feeding.  They will love the compost and bone meal.

I hadn't noticed that the primroses had flowered until I was out there looking for the peonies.  They are so bright and charming.  They need more humus in their soil.  In Washington state they would have already divided by now.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #95 on: Apr 08, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
I found an 8th peony.  I've really got to mark them better.  I amended the peonies according to plan.  I'm very happy with the results.  Then I took the remaining compost and put it around the azalea but I think it bit the dust because I didn't bury it deep enough when I bought it.  I really can't buy plants after April because the ground is to hard unless I dig the hole and amend the soil before I buy in case the ground is to hard or rocky. 

Primula (s) have also bloomed.  They look great.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #96 on: Apr 08, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
I'm going out to see if I can find my peonies.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #97 on: Apr 08, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Found white peony and red peony.  I think it was last year that Johnny cut them down even though they were full of buds.  I think I'll put a sign up in front of them this year.

I put fertilizer in the holes in my straw bales, put a marker in the garden where, by the way, radishes are coming up nicely, so sign of carrots or peas, something has been chewing on the lettuce though.  The squash Colby and I planted and put in the greenhouse has broken through the dirt.  I also planted a pot of parsley.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Apr 09, 2013, 12:43:06 AM »
Your garden is comming right along.  I hope the carrots and peas show up soon.  I love radishes.  What kind of squash did you plant?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #99 on: Apr 09, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
Straight neck summer squash.

And today I went to Lowe's and got a patio tomato plant.  The place was swarming with people buying vege plants.  Isn't it a bit too early even here.  Seems like we don't start planting until sometime in May but the place was packed.  I'm just today starting my cucumber seeds.  Mr. Rape, did I tell you guys Mr. Rape is back, just now told me he's already got out tomatoes and squash.  I didn't know I'm behind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal