Author Topic: Let's Talk Compost Again...:)  (Read 11906 times)

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Let's Talk Compost Again...:)
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
duh, last Saturday I was listening to a garden show on the radio and the master gardener said she doesn't recommend using grass as mulch in the garden for just the reason you mentioned above.  She said some times it clumps up and won't separate no matter what which makes it too slippery to walk on and can keep oxygen from getting to the dirt underneath it.  I had always heard that grass was great as compost in the garden. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »
There is a significant difference between mulch and compost. 

Mulch is the material that you place over a garden bed for weed supression and moisture retention. 

Compost is a mixture of bio-matter that has broken down to a soil like consistance that is pH neutral and can be added to enrich soil. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
I meant to say mulch in both places.  She didn't like grass in the garden after the plants were there.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
I wouldn't use grass as mulch either. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »
Well yesterday I put a pine sapling and a chestnut oak branch in the compost pile and covered it over with leaves.  Today I just tossed another chestnut oak branch in the pile.  It was raining so I didn't stop to try and cover it over.  Moving the pile when it is wet is difficult at best.  So all together maybe 1 gallon of greens?  Which puts me down to 228 gallons I think still needed.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
raked up 2 buckets of greens so 10 gallons.  That leaves 218 gallons go go and it's still may.  I just might make it if we get rain through the entire summer but that's not likely.  it's nice though.  I'll have good compost in a year or two. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Jun 05, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
I'm still working on it.  I've made a great deal of progress but I don't have the numbers with me so I can't update.  Maybe next time I'll remember.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #57 on: Jun 12, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
Ok as of yesterday I still needed to add 179.5 gallons of greens to the compost pile.  I have some to rake up today but then I'm out of luck for this year because I burned up the motor in the weed wacker.  Always something isn't it? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal