Author Topic: What's up with my Lilies?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Patty S

What's up with my Lilies?
« on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:24:07 AM »
Does anyone around here know anything about Lilies? This is the second year that I've had my Lily bed, & I'm realizing that I don't know much about them!

I have Asiatics that all opened up at the same time last year.
This was what they were doing 9 days ago...

Notice that except for one, the white ones in the foreground are all open, while the white ones on the other side of the yellow ones are only thinking about it.

This is the same bed (finally weeded), today...

The two larger plants broke ground at the same time, but the white ones on the left decided to open up as the yellow ones are on their way out, & the last white blossom on the smaller plant finally opened. (I don't even know how that one got over there! I need to move it.)

My question is, why did those open at different times? The Day Lilies are almost done... they usually open first & are gone by the time the Asiatics bloom.  I have some Tiger Lilies that should open pretty soon, but there's a Stargazer that's just breaking ground now! :ScratchHead: (I may have planted that one too deep last year... or maybe it's a later Lily.) :SmileyQmarks:

The bed faces east, & the Lilies on the left side get about 2 hours less direct sun than the rest of the bed, cuz they're right next to a couple small Cinquefoil & Barberry bushes. Can just that much shade make a difference in when they open?

Also, these things are getting bigger every year (probably having babies under the ground), but will leaving them that close together hurt them, or should I separate the bulbs & spread them out more? 
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2007, 12:35:14 AM by Patty S »

Offline Patty S

Different types of Lilies
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2007, 02:56:43 AM »
I was under the impression that Stargazers were Asiatic Lilies, but when I mentioned that to Patti on the phone today, she told me, "No, Stargazers are Oriental Lilies."  I got to looking at my Lily pics & noticed that the foliage on some are strikingly different, while the foliage on others are similar, but not identical. So, can someone tell me the difference between "Oriental" & "Asiatic" Lilies?

Here are my Asiatic Lilies, last year.

Here are the twin pink ones that were in a different bed last year, & I moved them to my Lily Garden.

I can't decide if the foliage is different from the Asiatics, or not, but they're definitely taller.

This is the Stargazer that I got last winter at Walmart.

The leaves on these do seem to be different than the others.

I know a Tiger Lily before it blooms, by its foliage...

...mainly cuz there are always seeds forming at each leaf junction,

...but maybe it's not the only one that does that. I'm confused about this one, cuz instead of making buds, it's making seeds at the top, & they appear to be split (or each one is actually three seeds), instead of just plain & round, like the Tiger seeds. 

I have no idea if this will put out a blossom or not this year.

I have at least 6 different kinds of Lilies in my Lily bed, & I'd like to get them straight so I can mark them accurately, if anyone knows.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal