Author Topic: Christmas Season Baking  (Read 9124 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Christmas Season Baking
« on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »
So what's on your list of things to bake for the christmas season?

I'm thinking I'll try the stained glass cookies,  The cookies that are done on the branding iron (I'm only making a half batch, my recipe makes a hundred). 

I'm looking forward to hear what you plan to do.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
Re: Christmas Season Baking
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2012, 11:48:07 AM »
Do you give your baked goodies as gifts?  I don't do any special baking.  No one around here will eat it.  I might make a coconut cake to take to church.  I don't like coconut but I like this cake.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
i won't do anymore "special" baking.  my pecan pies did not get eaten at thanksgiving and they were special request.  i might make some candy or fudge.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
The church is having two different parties and they have requested desserts.  One is getting my angel food cake, chocolate filling, with whipped cream frosting.  The second will get the cookies.

I'll be doing the pumpkin spice cake in a jar for my visiting teaching and a few extras for the pantry.

Depending on how far the dollars stretch I may do a December dinner for the missionaries.     

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
I'll take an angel food cake with chocolate filling and whipped cream frosting.  Man!!!!!  How good does that sound.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
That one is a crowd pleaser.  The worst thing about it is cutting it.  It will slide on me in a heartbeat.  I use the serrated knife for this one.  Otherwise it slides or smooches.

I can't wait to get to the grocery store.  It will be the 4th before I can go because the tire place can't get to me until the afternoon for the tire.  Which is fine I'm just glad they will come out and do the work.  That is such a blessing.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
I have two wire hair picks that I have in my kitchen. I only use them for 'cutting' angel food cakes. Well, sometimes sponge cakes as well. You poke them down together into the cake and then pull them apart to tear your cake into a fairly even cut. Without any crushing or sliding of layers.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
I didn't know there was a special tool.  When I'm flush in the pockets again I'll look for them.

That's awful when something you make special doesn't get eaten.  Thank heaven for the marshmallow creme recipe for fudge.  I'd never have fudge if it wasn't for that recipe.

The grocery store that I do most of my shopping at closed and there is only one other location where they exist.  And I came home still needing a bunch of items on my grocery list.  So I'll be going out again today to get those things.

My Visiting Teaching Companion had a different idea for our ladies, more seasonal so we are doing that rather than the Pumpkin Spice bread.  But I've still got all the fixins so I'll make them at some point. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »
tammy, i make all my fudge in the microwave these days.  it's cheaper and more reliable/less labor intensive.  i know i've posted the recipe somewhere, but i'll do it again if you need it and we can't find it.

i have to make 3 dishes for different meetings.  first is a pot luck for scott for work on monday, then an hors d'oeuvres/dessert dinner, and then our family christmas dinner.  scott wants sweet potato casserole (easy) for his thing.  still up in the air on the second one.  the 3rd will not be baked goods at all, it will be crock pot smokies (tina's recipe) and i will pay for and ellie will make a ham.  just gotta decide on the 2nd one... someone else already claimed the smokies.

what was your visiting teacher's idea?  maybe it will help me?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
The visiting teaching thing is just a poem and a snack bag of M&M's.  The green and red ones.  Not really the kind of thing you are looking for. 

I ran into a great mousse for a dessert.  it's made with cool whip, pudding made with half of the milk normally called for, a teaspoon of vanilla and topped with chocolate shavings.  Decadent really decadent.  And of course super simple.  Just make sure you don't let the dishes set around after, it sets up to the consistance of cement lol.  I'm thinking it would be great for a gingerbread house.  I'm determined to do one of those someday.  I've never done one and I don't want one of those boxed kits.  They look unappetizing. 

On the other hand my favorite hors d'oeuvres is also supper simple.  I like the block of cream cheese smoothered in cocktail sauce and then sprinkled with shrimp.  Fattening really but it's so North Western.  It is served with crackers.  Either that or the thin slices of smoked pink salmon.  Or the stuffed mushrooms, stuffed with bacon bits and covered with a piece of sliced cheese and baked at 325 until the cheese is melted about 20 minutes. 

The second church party needs a side dish for a ham dinner instead of a dessert.  I'm thinking I just found a recipe for Orange Carrots that sounds wonderful.  But I have a bunch of green beans so maybe the traditional greenbean casserole?  Or I have a bunch of rice so maybe something with rice in it?  Only problem is that I'm not really that good at making rice dishes.  It's hard to know what to make.  I don't do side dishes as a rule.  I just open a can of veggies and dump them in a microwave safe dish and warm them up.  I see I'm going to have to up my game.

Then there is a third christmas party that will need a side dish as well.  I definitely think the green bean casserole will work with that one.  I'd do the turkey but I can't afford one this year.

Getting two new tires this christmas season killed my budget.

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
What about potato salad as your side dishes?  :licklips:

Tires are expensive, aren't they? :o
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
I'm making 2 coconut cakes for the church party Saturday night and then I'll probably make another one for dinner here on the 20th.   Colby and I will make brownies for that same dinner but we make those when he gets here so they make the ice cream melt.

Jenn, did someone take home those pecan pies?  I can't imagine.  They're always a crowd favorite.

Tires are like bras.  They're expensive but necessary.  I hate spending money on necessary stuff.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
i am making sweet potato casserole for the party on monday at scott's work.  his request.  i still don't have plans for tues night yet.  i'll figure it out.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
Yes tires are expensive.  The sweet potato casserole sounds good too.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
I think I went overboard lol.  There is the ham, pineapple, cheese salad, then there are slices of ham, then there is the shrimp with horseradish cocktail sauce, then a cream cheese and cocktail sauce dip for wheat thins, and I'm thinking of trying to make the butter rose of sharon pieces.  They look so marvelous when I've seen them done but I've never actually tried to make them before.  I guess I have to try since I have a clean kitchen and we all know I can't leave that alone lol. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
it's harder than it looks.  Why am I not suprised lol

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
Are you taking all that food to your parties?

My mom and step dad, and Shel and Ging and the gang are coming for lunch tomorrow.  I'm having spiral ham, green beans, corn, slaw, deviled eggs, roast with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms with brown gravy and rolls.  Colby and I will make brownies when he gets here and serve them hot over vanilla ice cream.  This is an easy meal, fixing wise.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
i won't do anymore "special" baking.  my pecan pies did not get eaten at thanksgiving and they were special request.  i might make some candy or fudge.

I would have taken care of those pies, Jen.  I ate darn well near an entire pecan pie, although it did take me nearly a week.

I plan on making these sugar cookies baked in mini cupcake form, then squished while hot to make a sugar cookie bowl, filled with melty chocolate chips, caramel, and pecans.  I'm also making a dairy-free cheesecake (we'll see how that turns out).  For the actual meal itself, we're having a ham from the Honey Ham Company in Texas - Adam's work bought and shipped it to us (cha-ching), mashed potatoes w/gravy, asparagus, rolls, and corn on the cob.  Should be tasty!!

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
That sounds wonderful, Sarah! And it also sounds like leftovers. My favorite thing.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »

I would have taken care of those pies, Jen.  I ate darn well near an entire pecan pie, although it did take me nearly a week.

I plan on making these sugar cookies baked in mini cupcake form, then squished while hot to make a sugar cookie bowl, filled with melty chocolate chips, caramel, and pecans.  I'm also making a dairy-free cheesecake (we'll see how that turns out).  For the actual meal itself, we're having a ham from the Honey Ham Company in Texas - Adam's work bought and shipped it to us (cha-ching), mashed potatoes w/gravy, asparagus, rolls, and corn on the cob.  Should be tasty!!
a company scott worked for used to send us one every year.  we continued to buy them for a few years till we decided the cost was not worth the effort (not only the $$ but we had to go into savannah to get it to keep from paying an extra premium, and then wait in line - i don't do lines well) and now that the grocery stores all carry spiral sliced hams, it's good.  how was the cheesecake?  it looked good on fb.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
That cheesecake on Facebook does look yummy.  We got a Smithfield Spiral Ham at Wal Mart for a little over $15.00.  It's big and tasted good.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
Your cheesecake did look delicious, Sarah. Tomorrow I may bake something. Just not too sure what.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
My cheesecake was okay.  It has an odd aftertaste and the edges are a bit overcooked which gives that awful eggs, smooshy-plastic texture.  I'm wondering if I could have turned it into a chocolate cheesecake and had better flavor results.  The soy-cream cheez products definitely have a mildly-odd flavor.  The sour "creem" I used is oil based and has a kinda strong flavor, like a very strong olive oil or something.  It's great to put into mashed potatoes instead of milk and butter but not so great in cheesecake.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »
you might have done better making it chocolate or some other flavor then.  my son in law likes to make his cheese cakes either key lime, or white chocolate peppermint.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
Key lime.... ahhhhh.....   :542:  my favorite....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal