Author Topic: Christmas Season Baking  (Read 9125 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Christmas Season Baking
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
the only ones i know that smell bad are cabbage and rutabagas. rutabagas are just plain nasty if you ask me.  but if you put the roots in turnips, they might smell like that too.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
I love rutabagas! Especially raw. I certainly like them better than turnips. I have really never had any of the 'greens'. Except dandelion and mustard picked out of our ground. They are available in my stores but when I go down the vegetable aisles, I get overwhelmed with my choices and stick to wonderful lettuces and cabbages and such that I know well.
I am going to grow kale this year.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »
Nothing in the world makes me as hungry as the smell of boiling cabbage.  I LOVE it.  Thanks for sending the vinegar my way, Jen! 

Tina, I love Kale boiled into soups, I've started adding in spinach as well.  The spinach is actually what got me into thinking I may like collards.  We also have this stuff in the stores called swiss chard but I have no idea what it's for?? 

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2013, 01:45:04 AM »
The pepper vinegar that I use would be Texas Pete with the little peppers in the bottle... :unsure:

I boil my collard greens with fatback grease until they are tender, not soggy. They can be overcooked if you aren't careful. I think Megan wilts hers in a frying pan after she fries the fatback. She learned to do it that way from her young'uns great grandma on the father's side. Both ways taste pretty dadgum good to me. I love collards. And I also like Cracker Barrel's turnip greens. I do NOT like mustard greens... :puke-1:

Jennifer, I don't like stems, either. I tear my greens off the stem... :BigGrin:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
Tina, I thought kale needed cold weather.   I've had kale twice in my life and both times in the last few months.  The first time it was good the last time it was really chewy.  I just used it in a salad both times.

I think Swiss chard is pretty but I've never bought it.  I think you just saute it a little bit but I've never tried it.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Kale is a cool weather crop. I can grow those all winter long here. Along with broccoli and cauliflower. California spits out vegetables all year long. I wanted kale because it is highly rated in food blogs along with other super foods. And I've been reading up on it a lot. But I cannot find it in my store.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
dianna, i couldn't think of the name, even though i could picture the little bottle in my head.

all the talk of greens, i will have to find some to cook in the next little while.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
speaking of greens if I don't get to the greenhouse and throw some water on my lettuce it's going to croak.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
I sure hope you got the water on the lettuce, Sheri!  Speaking of that - I had a horrible nightmare that it was already summer and I'd forgotten to plant anything in my garden!! 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
that's so funny Sarah.  It is like summer here lately.  I walked out to the greenhouse but didn't get it watered because I got so weak I barely made it back to the house.  If it gives up the ghost I can't help it.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #60 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
I was at the store to buy some collard greens and they are $1.79 for 3 almost naked leaves.  I did not buy them.  That sounds ridiculous - I was thinking collards were supposed to be cheap.  Are they not a cold season veggie?

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »
they are, but it is too early for them.  february or so, i would think. or maybe march?  i can't remember.  but that is not a good price.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal