Author Topic: Knitting Projects 2013  (Read 15307 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Knitting Projects 2013
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Good luck sheri.  Do you wear scarves?  I want to knit because there are things I want to have that would be better made by knitting rather than crochet.  Sweaters and gloves are examples.  Socks too, when I crochet them with worsted wool they are too thick for my shoes. 

I almost bought the gray for a pullover sweater today but something told me not too.  So instead I went to the garden section and bought 14 dollars worth of stuff there. 

I need my wallet to be locked up in a safe that I don't have the combination for. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Once in a while I wear a scarf.  One of the yarns I got is a novelty yarn and the other is a light weight silk so they will be summer or fall type scarves.  For looks rather than warmth.  I found a pattern for a cardigan but if it costs $80.00 for 2 scarves I won't be making a cardigan that would surely cost a fortune.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »
Interesting usually scarves require as much or more yarn than a cardigan from what I've been reading.  But I guess it depends on the amount of lace/open work in the design. 

I find it is far cheaper for me to start with the pattern and then to buy the yarn.

Me I don't buy silk from specialty stores.  I buy acrylic from wal-mart.  A cardigan usually costs me about 20 dollars in ww yarn. 

I managed to get past the wrist and I'm on the second black band at the moment.  That's ok progress for me. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I got the gray yarn and cast on the mandrin collar tunic.  I'm excited.  One because I've never done the moss stitch and two because I have two pair of gray slacks that I'll be able to wear with this come the next cool season.  Yeah!  Plus of course I love asian. 

What happened to the socks you were working on? 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Ok here are the mini goals for the tunic.  I want to knit 9 rows or an inch and a half per day.  This will complete the tunic in 100 days approximately.  That will have it finished by the beginning of October which should be just about perfect. 

I've decided that the moss stitch will just be for the bottom of the hem.  I didn't like it and it was slow going.  It does lie flat which is good. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2013, 09:53:18 PM »
The socks are in the basket.  I'd have to start over because there is yarn on 4 needles all connected to each other and I have no idea where I left off.  The yarn lady said there is a new technique for making socks now and that the tiny, 4 needle way is obsolete.    I'm not sure I want to take a $45.00 class to learn to finish those socks.

My scarves are not taking more than 2 skeins of yarn.  The cardigan is a pattern I found on Raverly and it takes 11 skeins of Colinette One Zero in Wasabi Squeeze.  It's really pretty, if I could make it right, but I'll bet that yarn isn't cheap.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
Is she talking about the magic loop technique.  I've heard it mentioned alot but I don't know how it is done. 

Sounds like your in good shape with your scarves.

I got the grosgrain ribbon for the bella ruffle gloves.  So I plan to move forward with that project. 

I'm doing alittle on the tunic pretty much every evening so I'm pretty happy with that. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
I don't know what it's called but I think I've heard that term before so maybe that's it.

I don't know that I'll finish those socks or even make that cardigan because I'm having a hard time forcing myself to knit this scarf.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:39 PM »
...I'm having a hard time forcing myself to knit this scarf.
and that is why i don't knit.  i have to force myself to do it, even though i can do it fairly well. i just plain don't like it.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
I definitely understand what you are saying.  If it weren't for the stockinette stitch I'm not sure I'd do much in the knitting realm myself.  But there it is so here I am.  It's like the quilting, I don't like the process but I do like the result.  And the heart wants what the heart wants. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
I started the underarm increase on the back of the tunic last night so definitely progress is being made.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #86 on: Jun 05, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
the tunic is on the second yoke piece right before I start the neckline shaping. 

The Victorian glove is sewing up and I've put an edge on the plaquette but I don't like it.  I've tried crochet, knitting, and blanket stitch and it just isn't working.  They are all to thick and clunky.

I've sewn up the first black glove with spiral button.  I missed centering it by just a touch.  I need to go back in and sew in tighter so that it will bow like it is suppose to.  The other glove is knitted but isn't sewn yet. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #87 on: Jun 07, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
Finished both pair for fingerless gloves.  Now I just have the tunic to finish which will take awhile.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #88 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
The tunic is awful.  I need to pull it out and start over.  Please help me to get up the courage to do that.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: Jun 29, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
think of the yarn you will save if you do pull it out.  and that translates into $$.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #90 on: Jul 03, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
Well I wasn't able to pull it out yet but rather than continuing I am starting over with the next skein of yarn in that dye lot.  So it's all good. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #91 on: Jul 03, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
that works.  i have actually stopped that way, then picked up and pulled out the yarn as i needed it from the project abandoned.  that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but maybe it does.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #92 on: Jul 05, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »
Oh it makes sense.  I understand completely.  I plan to do the same.  I went to the craft store today and found the clasp that will work to close the neck right below the mandarin collar.  So I'm feeling pretty good about the project at the moment.

Also I found some black buttons to go on the Belle Ruffle fingerless gloves.  They look so much better than the crystal.  Now I'll just have to figure out which project will benefit by the crystal buttons. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #93 on: Sep 20, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »
I hate the gray sweater.  It's just taking forever.  I want to do something that will come together quickly but I haven't figured out what it is yet.  Maybe the tunisian crochet.  Anything to get away from the double moss stitch it is sooooooooo slow, or should I say I'm so slow when I try it. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #94 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
I finally finished one summer scarf now that it's winter.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: Oct 17, 2013, 10:29:23 PM »
but you will have it for summer next year, or when we get that indian summer we usually get around thanksgiving!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #96 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:35:46 AM »
That's so true.  Are you going to take a picture for us?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #97 on: Nov 02, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Well I'm getting ready to make a second attempt at learning sock knitting.  It's the opposite decrease that i'm having trouble with.  Somthing called a ssk in the directions.  I'm probably over thinking it or need to do it backwards since I'm left handed.  But, whatever the trouble it needs work.  Harriet will be helping me with it on Monday.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #98 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
good luck.  i'd love to knit socks... but i hate knitting so won't go there.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #99 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
The problem for me is that commerical socks are so thin and my feet get so cold.  I guess maybe it's the diabetes?  Anyway cold feet, so I want bed socks and running around the house socks that will fit into my slippers which I bought large because I knew I'd want room for heavy socks to keep my feet warm.  I'm also thinking about hunter socks if I can find a cheap pair that don't scare me.  That would be an ideal solution. 

I may have to put those in my letter to santa. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal