Author Topic: What was wrong with my bread all these years  (Read 2437 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
What was wrong with my bread all these years
« on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
Why am I also on the other side of the teeter-totter?  I'm been trying to make bread since I was a teenager.  It was always yeasty and doughy and I think I may have stumbled on why. 

The last time I made the sour dough bread it came out that way yeasty and doughy and taking longer to cook than the recipe.  the reason - I added to much water to the starter so it was way runnier than it should have been. 

So normally my dough is still sticky during the shaping stage and has a tendency not to rise like it should.  This time I continuted to add flour until it was no longer sticky.  I have very high hopes that this will fix the problem.  It's in it's final rise before the oven.  Cross your fingers for me. 

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: What was wrong with my bread all these years
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
 :thgoodluck-vi: :thgoodluck-vi: :thgoodluck-vi:

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
The suspense is killing me.  When will we know?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
The bread was great.  I still made one mistake, I used spray butter to coat the pan which caused the bread where it was touching the coating not to cook well but it's just a thin patch.  I pull it off and the rest of the rolls and bread are great. 

Also with the correct use of flour the biscuits doubled in size after they were shaped so I can make them smaller and they will come out the right size.  It was so funny.  In one of the pans one of the biscuits had risen completely over the side of the pan and looked like it was trying to escape. 

I plan on making them again before the end of the month. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:01:57 AM »
The bread is in the oven.  I'm only using one shelf this time so I don't have a problem with the browning on the lower shelf.  I can't wait to see how it comes out but I know I have to butter it and let it cool before I can stuff my face. 

This time I greased the pans with shortening and used melted butter to brush the tops of the rolls and bread.  I can hardly stand to even talk about it.  I want to stick my head in the oven with the bread and just breath.  I know not a good idea lol.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
I love bread.  Johnny does not.  If I made it I would eat it all.  There used to be a woman who had the hots for Johnny and she sent him bread all the time.  I don't know why she doesn't love him anymore but I miss her bread.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal