Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 7  (Read 17407 times)

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 7
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
THanks so much!!  I'm putting the list into my phone as we speak.  I really need some good reading this summer.  I like Iris J. as well.  I have no idea what I've read by her - but I'm thinking it was a light lavender purply colored book. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
the one i read was about a submarine.  it was really cool.  now i have to figure out what the name of it was.  i forgot, nora roberts - the search is good.  it's another "non-romance" that has a good plot and suspense line.  i liked it because part of the feature of it is search and rescue dogs.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »
the book is silent thunder by iris johansen.  i love that book.

my current series is by frederick ramsay and the series title is "ike schwartz".  he's former cia, who is a sheriff in a small town/county in virginia.  the first in the series is artscape. i've read 4 of them so far and loving them, but the 3rd, impulse, is a little slower than the others i've read.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #28 on: Jun 04, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
I checked out series 5 of the Doc Martin DVDs.  I love this stuff.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Jun 05, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
Our library just started it's summer reading program so thank you for the iris johnsen suggestion.  I'll look her up. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #30 on: Jun 05, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
the name of the iris johansen book is "silent thunder".  i LOVED it enough to keep the paperback floating around.  i might even re-read it.

the frederick ramsay that i thought was "slow" was not an ike schwartz.  it was different, but ended very well, it actually had 3 subplots going at the same time and the end was not what i was expecting except for one part.  it wasn't a "feel good" ending, but it did end well, if that makes sense.  i don't like those endings where everyone and everything is just hunky dory after being through the wringer.  i want them to have real life endings that aren't always neatly tied up with a bow.

i did finish the 3rd ike schwartz book as well, it was really good, and i was just slightly disappointed that i had it figured out (the how) about half way through. but the why took me to the end, so it worked.

i will start the next ike schwartz tomorrow.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #31 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:10:52 PM »
I will try that book, Jen but I have to say that I read The Killing Game by Iris and had the whole plot figured out within the first 30 pages.  I like to be in suspense for a while longer than that!!

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: Jun 19, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
i think you will like silent thunder better.  it is different, and the ending was not what i expected.  although parts were predictable, they were well written.  good suspense.

Offline landofoz

• Elite Member
  • Busy Brownie
« Reply #33 on: Jun 20, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
On my list! 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #34 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Just got back from my book club in downtown Charlotte.  I love going downtown Charlotte except for all the one way streets and parking issues but there were lots of people and all the lights and going ons.  It was nice.  We parked at the Dunhill Hotel which is where the Rolling Stones stayed.  We didn't like the book but we had fun.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: Jun 21, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
having fun is good sheri.  what did you read?

i finished "dead ever after" by charlaine harris.  it is the final book in the sookie stackhouse series, which is what the tv series "true blood" is based on.  it was a good read, but talk about predictable ending.  only one thing in the whole but was not what i was expecting.  i'm glad i read it though.  i don't know what i will read tomorrow.  i have a selection to choose from.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #36 on: Jun 21, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
We read The Know It All about a man who read the entire encyclopedia Britannica.  Nexr times is Nine Parts of Desire.  Charo, Beth and I read it a long time ago at our Monroe book club but we don't mind reading it again.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: Jun 22, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
the local book club is reading the secret life of bees.  if you liked the nine parts of desire enough to re-read it, maybe i'll check it out.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #38 on: Jun 22, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »
I didn't much like the Secret Life of Bees.  Nine parts is supposedly true.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
I've found David Baldacci's Sean King and Michelle Maxwell series of six books and although I started in the middle I'm now reading book 1.  I'm liking them. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: Jun 29, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »
i haven't read david baldacci but he is very popular. kind of like stuart woods.  i've read one of his "palindrome" which i enjoyed very much and the ending was not what i expected.  i will read more of his when i'm ready to start a new series.  thanks for the heads up on the david baldacci.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Jul 06, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
Your welcome,  I haven't tried stuart woods yet.  Maybe when I'm done with my current reading list I'll try some of his.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #42 on: Sep 20, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
I ran out of shelf space in the livingroom for books so I bought two book shelves for the craftroom.  One is for craft stuff and the other is for books.  I'm taking all of the first editions and putting them together in the craftroom.  That tells you I won't be reading those copies because I would never be able to find them.  Ah well. 

I got my two latest purchases from Amazon.com, they are Erica Wilson "Crewel Embroidery," and Sheila Paine "Embroidered Textiles."  They are both on my list of probably too expensive to get from paperbackswap.com.  So I'm happy to have them.  I really don't have that many more books on my I Want List so I'm really excited about that. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #43 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
duh, I can't understand how to do things, like embroidery, or knitting, or much of anything for that matter from reading a book.  Someone has got to actually show me.  It amazes that people can. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: Oct 17, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »
sheri, i'd say that's funny, but i do best with pictures.  then with someone showing me.  then with videos.  but i hate videos.  so that is always my last, last, last resort.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #45 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
I do best with drawings.  For some reason pictures are harder for me to see.  That sounds funny even to me.  Craftbooks are usually just reminders or inspiration books for me.  I've embroidered since I was very small so the only thing I need a reminder on is the left handed french knot.  Those things kill me. 

Did I mention that I sold a second book on Amazon?  I think i did.  I need to check that today.  My check should be in the bank sometime in the next 5 days.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #46 on: Oct 19, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
How book crazy am I?  Well I haven't even shelved the 5 stacks of books I bought at the auction and so what did I do yesterday?  Bought another 5 books, but how could I resist? 

I got:  The Canterbury Tales - Illustrated Prologue, Donna M. Lightbody Introducing Needlepoint, Rug Making Techniques and Design, Light in Shadow by Jayne Ann Krentz, and Practical Problem Solver a Reader's Digest book.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #47 on: Oct 22, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
In all do respect I got the rug making book for Harriet. 

I can't believe I'm reading the Canterbury Tales aloud.  It's all Lilian Jackson Braun's fault.  She motivates me to do incredible things.  And I'm really wanting a cat.  Not one like koko probably one more like big foot.  I think it's hilarious that her main character took an instant dislike to a kitten.  It's just funny. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
Think she'll motivate you to move to Pickax?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
Hopefully I'm done moving unless I go to a senior care facility.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal