Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 7  (Read 17405 times)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 7
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »
I've got my fingers crossed.  I am at the top of the list for 5 books on paperbackswap.com and I have book credits for all of them incase they come in.  Or for when they come in.  That can work either way.  If they come in before christmas I'll wrap them in chrismas paper and put them under the tree.  They are the perfect size for my 3.5 ft tree. 

I bought 4 extra credits and two of them are already on the way and 2 more are awaiting mailing.  I'm going to do the same thing with them.  Even though I know what they are I still like to have something to unwrap on christmas morning.  Crazy huh?

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #51 on: Nov 02, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
I've been doing some tabulating.  Of books that I know I want to buy I have 18 that are available that i can't afford right now and 54 that aren't available at the moment.  5 of which I have the credits for so if they become available I'll be able to get them immediately.  I'm excited that it's such a small number.  That a total of 49.  Of course you and I both know that if I manage to get all of those I'll find something else that I just have to have.  Isn't that the way?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #52 on: Nov 14, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
I'm a little bit miffed right now.  Tonight is my downtown book club and I bought the book from Amazon and when I finished it I loaned it to another club member to read.  She's had my book for a good month and now she's decided not to go tonight and I don't have my book to take.  I'll not loan her another book.

Offline sunsoaker

• Elite Member
  • Sunny Sylph
« Reply #53 on: Nov 14, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
If she 'just decided' to not go and it wasn't due to sickness or some other fairly good reason, I think I would have asked her to make a point of returning the book before you had to go.
Dear Lord, On this day, please wrap your arm around my shoulder and keep your hand over my mouth.  Amen

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »
i'm with barb.  but if it was illness or other emergency, then i'd be more forgiving...
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: Nov 19, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »
Hum, I never took the book to the book club.  Probably one of a hundred things that I did wrong when I was attending.  I was really suprised by the people who showed up with extensive notes.  And then had nothing interesting to say.  Sorry, I shouldn't have said that it was catty. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #56 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
I have just picked up a regency romance by Mary Balogh called More than a Mistress.  It is good although I pass the juicy scenes by.   

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
...although I pass the juicy scenes by.   
i do a lot of skipping the juicy parts too tammy.  i really like julie garwood, but she always has a few of those scenes that i just flip the pages until they are gone.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
I'll have to see if my library has her.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #59 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »
My friend wasn't sick or having an emergency.  She just decided not to go so I won't be loaning her books anymore.  If I own the book I take it if I can remember it but I don't keep one from the library just to take.  We do have a few members who will keep a book out, overdue, so they can bring it to look up certain pages.  We have a few people who make notes and usually it's a certain quote they didn't understand and we all put in our two cents worth.  I think it's interesting to get others input.  Sometimes I feel like I've read a totally different book.

Both my clubs are reading The Burgess Boys.  I've finished it and didn't like any of the characters.  I'll like hearing what others think.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #60 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
the local book club (i'm not part of it) just finished sarah's key.  i can't remember what they are on now, but i'll find out on friday, if they haven't changed it already.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #61 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »
I liked Sarah's Key.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
I just read come the spring by garwood.  Very well written.  Now I have to run to my meeting.  Happy holidays.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
I'm reading Julie Garwood so far i've only read one that i couldn't finish.  I'll go back to it later.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
tammy, i'm glad you are enjoying the julie garwood.  another writer i've just found but have been enjoying is dee henderson.  she's a christian writer but her books are not sappy.  i've enjoyed them enough to order the series through the library. (o'malley series).  I think there are 8 or 10 in the series.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
Just finished The Snow Child.  I won't say I didn't like it but I can't say I did like it either.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #66 on: Jan 15, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
I'm sorry you didn't love your last book best.  I'm glad you were able to finish it. 

I'm reading Sweet Talk and just howling at some of the repartee.  It is just fantastic!  I so love witty dialog.  It does seem like a rehash of the other witness protection story but that's ok.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
i will have to check that out tammy.  i like good procedurals with witty dialog.  laughing out loud is good for the soul!

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #68 on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
I'll find that one too Tammy.  I love a book that makes me laugh out loud.  My club is reading a Surrey State of Affairs for next month.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:24:54 AM »
I hope you both enjoy it.  That's an interesting title.  Let me know if you like it.  I'm re-reading the crystal singer set of books.  I'm on the last one right now.  Then it is on to the Nero Wolfe series.  I've never read it although I loved the tv series.  So I'm looking forward to them.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm on the 4th book that I could get for the nero wolfe series.  I'm loving it.  Some of the slang will require me looking it up.  Good thing I have my unabridged 60's dictionary.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
i'm glad you are enjoying it.  i read the first book in a new series and have decided i don't want to continue it.  i would like to know how the series ends, but they set it up for the main character to have a long term nemesis and i'm not all about that. it is supposed to be "light" reading (the series is) and i'm not finding it light enough.  the name of the book was "town in a strawberry swirl"

Offline Dianna

• Administrator
  • Angel With The Halo!
    • Fallen Angels Karaoke Entertainment
« Reply #72 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
I am reading the Left Behind series by Lahae and Jenkins. Very interesting to me... :grinnnn:
"Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success." - Lao Tzu

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
dianna, you would not believe how long the waiting list is still for those. not as bad as hunger games or game of thrones but close. i think the only one worse than those 3 are the fifty shades series.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #74 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »
My club is reading The Good Lord Bird.  So far I like it.  It's about time I like a book club book.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal