Author Topic: Book Review Corner Vol. 7  (Read 17370 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Book Review Corner Vol. 7
« Reply #75 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
i'll have to check into it at work tomorrow.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #76 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
All I'm doing at this point is renewing books that I can't get too. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #77 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Can you renew yours online?  I do that all the time.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »
Can you renew yours online?  I do that all the time.
me too.  but we have a 2 renewal limit for each item.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #79 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
I'm on my second renewal.  And sense I'm at the library to use the internet I just have the librarian renew it. 

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #80 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
I'm finishing up If Death Ever Slept by Rex Stout.  I've just had the librarian order the next two Nero Wolfe books that we have in our local system.  Hopefully I will do better with them than I have some of them.  I really liked the black mountain.  Back story can be good or bad in this case it was good.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #81 on: Oct 14, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
For no particular reason I joined the Agatha Christie Book Lovers group on Goodreads.  I'm going to read all her books.  I loved them growing up.  And talk about coincidences, when I went to my Monroe book club tonight, Evelyn, who is 98 years old, pipes up and says she's decided to read all Agatha Christie's books.  She doesn't even have a computer so I know she didn't see it on Goodreads.  Stranger things have happened.  So the entire book club decided to read Agatha Christie for the book next month.  We're reading Murder on the Orient Express.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #82 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
I grew up with Agatha books. Loved them.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #83 on: Oct 15, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
i read all the agatha books, a long time ago (25 years? give or take) and loved that she had such a firm handle on human nature.  i can't remember the name of the books, but there were 2 that had scenes that stuck with me (i should really try to find them, i do work in a library :rolleyes1: )

the first was a poriot, the last one in fact, where he kills the "killer" and creates a locked room mystery "implying" that the killer shot himself, but that was impossible because poriot shot the man in the center of the forehead.  something you can't actually do.  then poriot "kills" himself with a heart attack because he does not put his heart medicine where he can reach it, letting God take his justice.  i can't remember the sidekick's name, but he figured heavily in it.

the other one was also a poriot, but that one was where he observes that people tend to do things they find comforting when stressed, rather than to do things that stress them farther (such as picking what to eat).  he finds a killer by the fact that the victim's nephew tried to pass himself off as his uncle but went to a restaurant and ordered something the uncle was known to hate.

agatha was just a very good student of life... much like miss marple.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #84 on: Oct 19, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
I finished Murder on the Orient Express and it was so fun.  Even though I knew the ending it was fun. Agatha did have a good handle on human nature. Justice for all.  Now to start Crooked House and I just ordered Three Blind Mice.   

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
My club just finished The Rosie Project and This Dark Road to Mercy.  Like them both.  Rosie is so funny and I knew all the places mentioned in Dark Road.  Our next book is Byrd.  No idea.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
i'll have to look into all 3 of those.  i've been reading romances lately.  not sure why, i guess because they are easy reads?  although i did read the new one by either irene hannon or dee henderson (they write a lot alike) the name is taken.  that was a good book.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: Jul 21, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »
sheri, get your book club to read the afterlife of billy fingers. it is really good. i don't normally do biographies, but once in a while, one will cross my desk that is really good.  or looks good. i read one about scientology (anti) and it was only ok.  this one is good.  i'm about 3/4 done with it.  i had to put a hold on it to get it, and i'm glad i did.

i still haven't checked on the three you just mentioned, but i need to.  the romances are getting old... although, they do pass the time.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #88 on: Aug 09, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Jen.  I'll have to check billy out.  We just finished Still Alice and I liked it.  It was good for discussing.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #89 on: Aug 09, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
PS  Byrd was pretty good too.  Most of the group  really liked it but I liked it but without the "really".  I  would recommend it but will never read it again.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #90 on: Aug 09, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
i put the last three on my "list for investigation" but haven't actually looked at them yet.  right now i am finishing a couple different series.  in a couple different genres.  nothing to recomment per se, just stuff i'm enjoying.  when someone sees me with a book and askes, if it is something that is ok, but not recommendable to a cross section, i usually say "just a generic book".

i will look into still alice as well.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #91 on: Sep 27, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Last month we read Wild which I like.  Didn't see the movie.  One lady didn't like it at all.  How can you not like a non fiction book?  It is what it is.  This month we read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.  I've read this before and liked it both times.  
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2015, 10:50:03 AM by Jim »

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: Sep 27, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
sheri, i've read some non fiction that was well written and some that just did not do it for me.  i haven't read wild yet though.  my current comment is on an author not a particular book.  colleen coble is a good author.  well respected.  i read one of her books and liked it.  i've hated every single thing i've tried to read of hers since.  everything.  inspirational, romance, suspense, all of it. i don't even remember what i read that i liked.  she has a series that sounded really good, i couldn't get past the first 2 chapters (and that is longer than i usually give a book) on the first 2.  i'm taking them back and quitting.  isn't that awful?

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #93 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »
Just finished All the Light We Can Not See.  Really good.  Hated for it to end.  i tried to start The Woman's Room but it has 2 long forwards and a preface and for some reason that has ticked me.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: Nov 02, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
I don't read the forwards and the prefaces.  I read prologues, epilogues, and the story.  but the rest, no thank you.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #95 on: Nov 06, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
The Woman's Room continues to get good reviews - has mostly all through the years - but I can't make myself read one more page.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #96 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
Sheri, life is too short to read books you don't enjoy.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #97 on: Nov 07, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
Took it back to the library.  :)

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #98 on: Nov 09, 2015, 05:37:52 AM »
I picked up the lost symbol again.  Unfortunately I'd already read it.  I can never remember titles. 

If I have to plow through a book I'll seldom finish it.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #99 on: Nov 10, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »
Sometimes I'll plow through one to be able to discuss it at book club but I couldn't force myself this time. 

I can remember titles but not authors.  People at the book club will want to read a book because "remember we read ........ by her and it was so good".  Nope I never remember that we've already read one by her because authors names don't stick in my head for some reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal