Author Topic: Who's crocheting what? part 3  (Read 15305 times)

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
Re: Who's crocheting what? part 3
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
My grandma made several table cloths. I just haven't been inspired yet. But you have done great work.
My friends here are some of the kindest on earth :kissies:

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:36:07 AM »
Thank you.  When I was a kid, back in the dark ages, I started crocheting with doilies which grew and grew until they reached tablecloth size.  Then I of course went to afghans and from there into shaping of all sorts. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
When you were a kid?  Really?  We didn't do crafty stuff at my house growing up.  Absolutely nothing.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
When you were a kid?  Really?  We didn't do crafty stuff at my house growing up.  Absolutely nothing.
that is odd to me sheri.  when i was a kid, a very small kid, we started with helping thread needles, and cutting out strings of paper dolls or snowflakes (it is called paper lace now) and went from there.  by the time i started first grade i was sewing by hand (hems, buttons, etc) & crocheting.  by the time i got out of elementary school i was making hair pin lace, embroidery, broom stick crochet, basic knitting, and made some of my own clothes on the sewing machine as well as most repairs.  i earned my dues money for brownies by hemming the other scouts' uniforms.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
I wasn't nearly as talented as you jenn but my allowance frequently went for yarn and needles or hooks. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:47:02 PM »
my mother didn't do crafty things and she hardly ever cooked.  We never lived around family to show us anything either.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
I sewed early. Tried my hand at some things. I was just too active and full of California sunshine to sit still for long. When I had bad weather or down time, I read a lot. I wasn't all that much for what my family watched on the few channels on the only television.
Friends are like bras, close to your heart and all about support

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »
I learned by watching the ladies on the public transportation.  It was not a quick way to learn but I can make most of the things I want in crochet.  Not so good in knitting. 

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Gosh duh.  You're smart.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
it's that necessity is the mother of invention thing at work I think.  That and the other saying about unrewarded genius vs tenacity.  or something like that.  I can't remember that saying much at all anymore. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »
mine was a combination of the saying "idle hands..." we weren't allowed to have those.  so if we were "bored" we were given something to do.  and gender had no room in it, so if we wanted choice, we had to pick something up before it was handed to us.  but even before that, younger eyes, steadier hands (boy would granny laugh at that one now!), and such.  when the "old folks" (my great grandparents, great aunts, etc.) would visit, the women were always working on some kind of needle work while they talked.  honestly, very old fashioned.  i'd rather crochet than pound nails straight.  and i've done lots of that too.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
Haven't gotten the hang of pounding nails straight.  I did get the gadet that lets me drill screws in straight. 

I'm determined to finish the sweater this month.  That means tomorrow lol.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
Well the bed shawl continues to grow.  I think I might have gotten 2 whole rows done yesterday lol.  It's better than nothing.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:50:08 AM »
Here is the latest butterfly for the bed scarf.

And  here are the pink gloves.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2013, 12:16:46 PM »
The gloves belong over in knitting.  I can't seem to keep that straight when it comes to the pictures.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Pretty butterfly!

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Thank you,

Today I got the wool for the fedora.  I was able to perfectly match my cape which was what I hoped to do.  So far I've got the top done and I'm about ready to start the sides.  I'm very excited.  I hope it turns out.  This will be my first felted project. 

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
looking good tammy!  and good luck on the felting.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
I didn't get enough the pattern said one skein would do it and it won't.  grumble, grumble, grumble

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #44 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
Maybe this should go in the quilting thread but where do you buy your material?  WalMart and KMart around here have stopped carrying sewing notions.  They hardly have any crafting stuff unless you want to make a scrap book.  The only other place in Charlotte that I know of that has material or cross stitch stuff is a tiny place called Hancocks Fabric.  I don't know what will happen if they close.

Offline bayou girl

• Elite Member
  • Shadow Spirit
    • My Blog
« Reply #45 on: Mar 10, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
sheri, would you believe that hancock's is national?  i've seen them in lots of places and they range in size from teeny tiny, to huge more like a joanne's.  i know that the sewing/crafting/yarn arts are endangered as for as locally available supplies.

Offline bestofour

• Elite Member
  • Wild Child
« Reply #46 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »
I didn't realize it is national.  The one in Charlotte is so little.  There is, or used to be, a Joanne's in Gastonia which is about 45 miles from here.  Not that I sew but it is aggravating not to be able to get a spool of thread locally.

Offline Tina

• Elite Member
  • Naughty Nymph
« Reply #47 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
I have to go over 2 towns to get to a Joanne's. Our Walmarts dropped sewing and craft for the most part a few years ago. They just brought them back last year. I am so glad.

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #48 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »
Our Walmart doesn't have material but it does have other crafting stuff.  Never enough or in the right size but at least there are some things.  Here is a possibility.  You can go to the walmart website.  Order things there that aren't at your store and pick them up at the store so you don't get charged shipping.  It doesn't work completely but it does help some. 

In Lynchburg there is a Joann's, Quilting Expressions, and one more quilting store that carries fabrics quilting fabrics.  There are also a ton of places on line that sell fabric.  Of course take the time to ask for swatches or you could be very displeased.   

Offline duh

• Elite Member
  • Gentle Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »
Oh, Carol would kill me.  I forgot her shop in Altavista.  She carries a limited supply of fabrics for quilting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal